How do the big boys do it? Knowledge wanted.(Carbon filtering)

  • pguy40
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 16, 2004
      So, how do the smaller commercial vodka distilleries(pot distillers
      like Charbay or Tito's, etc...)use carbon to filter their products?
      Are they using a plate and frame filter with carbon pads, or do they
      have some other way/method/equipment to filter?

      TIA,
      Peter G.
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 16, 2004
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pguy40" <pguy40@y...> wrote:

        > So, how do the smaller commercial vodka distilleries(pot
        distillers
        > like Charbay or Tito's, etc...)use carbon to filter their
        products?
        > Are they using a plate and frame filter with carbon pads, or do
        they
        > have some other way/method/equipment to filter?
        >
        > TIA,
        > Peter G.

        dunno about the smaller concersn. Maybe you could email them and
        ask? However, this is how it's done at Johnnie Walker in
        Scotland ...

        Whisky in the reducing and colouring vats is chilled down to 2°C by
        in-line flash chilling just prior to starting filtration. This will
        cause haze particles to form, which is known as chill haze. This
        chill haze must be formed prior to filtration so that it can be
        filtered out efficiently at this stage. Without chill filtering
        there is potential that the whisky will throw a haze in the final
        package.

        From the reducing and colouring vat the whisky is filtered into the
        bright whisky vat and at that stage is ready for packaging.

        Filtration occurs on two stage plate and frame filters. The first
        stage, or rough stage of the filter, will remove particles of up to
        5.6-micron particle size. Secondary, or polishing side filtration,
        will remove particles down to 1.4-micron particle size.

        The materials that will form a haze in whisky are various, and the
        quantities and types of haze forming particles in the whisky will
        vary with origin and processing methods used on the whisky. The
        principal haze forming constituents are barrel char and lipid. The
        whiskies used in the blend that are from malt distilleries will
        contain relatively high percentages of semi-soluble fatty acids from
        autolysed yeast that will throw haze, and all whisky contains
        insoluble colloidal material from the casks, known as char. The
        rough stage of the filter will remove the char and the polishing
        side the fatty acids.

        Source:
        Steve Gonzalez,
        Summer Research Intern
        MSc Candidate Brewing and Distilling
        Heriot-Watt University

      • beerguy84
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 31, 2005
          I've been curious about the same thing. Here is what I found out at
          SilverCreek Distillers in Idaho, where they make potato vodka. In
          their process the carbon is combined with minerals. At Silvercreek
          this mineral is garnet which is the same stuff in really expensive
          sandpaper. From what I understand the garnet does nothing for the
          polishing of the spirit but rather assist in the process much like a
          catalyst does in a chemical reaction. I suspect the garnet addition
          to the carbon keeps the carbon from clogging. Silvercreek also uses
          a pretty unique 3 column still with what appears to be two
          rectification sections.

          Further information on Silvercreek's Teton Glacier Vodka is available
          at the following links:

          http://www.waytogoidaho.com/tour/alcohol.html
          http://store.yahoo.com/randalls/rws9399.html