Re: 1st Run "Teething Problems"

  • hal031235@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 2, 2001
      Thanks Tony
      Ron asked :
      "> > One thing though that I am curious about, when the beer was
      coming up
      > > to boil, the temperature at the top of the still head had not
      moved
      > > from 12c, but just before it stared to move I got a strong smell
      > > of "alcoholic bananas", quite pleasant really"

      Tony wrote :

      "This is an ester, called isoamyl acetate
      > It means something to the beer brewers - one of the side reactions
      that they don't exactly want."

      My new question :
      Will this ester be absent in the distilled alcohol, ie is it boiled
      off first or will I end up with Banana Vodka? Also, could I have
      avoided it when fermenting my sugar and bakers yeast wash by doing
      something different?

      thanks for all yorur help, you are very generous with your time

      regards
      Ron