Re: [Distillers] HARD APPLE CIDER

  • sspence@webconx.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2000
      if you distill fermented apple cider, it's no longer apple cider, but
      ethanol.

      --
      Steve Spence
      Renewable Energy Pages - http://www.webconx.com

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2000
        hard cider is just regular cider that has been allowed to ferment. sometimes
        helped along with brown sugar and raisins.

        Quick hard cider recipe
        Do you ever have the problem of running out of wine or other alcoholic
        beverages at large religious festivals? Are you tired of the constant buying
        of wine at high prices? There is one fool-proof hard cider recipe that
        anyone can make in one month. One time I bought a hard cider brewing kit,
        made it and it tasted ok but was too dry for me. I went to a meeting at a
        brewing club and was told that the simplest way to make hard cider was to
        take a 5 gallon carboy (large glass bottle the kind that used to be used for
        water years ago) fill it with apple cider, pitch, or put in two packets of
        wine yeast (do not use bread yeast otherwise it will taste very bad) and let
        it sit for a month.

        To make this hard cider a few things must be in order to ensure the batch
        does not turn out bad. First, sterilize the bottle either with iodine or
        with one cap bleach mixed with water, then rinse very well. Pour in the
        apple cider, fresh squeezed not from store. (You can get this from any apple
        orchard and have them pour it in for you). With the cider in the jug put in
        the two packets of wine yeast. Shaking is not necessary. You'll need a
        blowoff tube. The blowoff tube is simply a clear plastic tube about the
        diameter of a cigar. Take the blowoff tube and stick it into a cork with a
        hole in it just large enough to squeeze the tube into. Put the cork in the
        hole of the bottle and the other end of the tube in a bucket of clean water.
        The reason for this is to allow the air created from the yeast to escape
        without letting air into the carboy, which would spoil the batch making it
        very sour.

        The carboy should be kept in a cool dark place but not the refrigerator. I
        doubt it would even fit there anyways. A closet is a good place. You should
        check on it every day or so as sometimes the cork pops off from the
        pressure. Let's say for instance that you put on the cork on but had no hole
        in it with the blow off tube sticking out of it, the cork would pop off and
        you'd have hard cider all over the walls, ceiling and floor and possible you
        from the cork blowing off. After the month is over siphon the nectar of the
        Gods into a clean carboy, large punchbowl or whatever you're going to use to
        hold it for the ritual. If you know something about bottling you can bottle
        it but that is a different set of procedures. When siphoning the mixture out
        be sure not to disturb the carboy too much otherwise you'll stir the yeast
        (thick white layer on inside bottom of carboy) up which will cloud the cider
        and make it taste bad. One good way to siphon the mixture is to use a
        racking tube which is a hard clear plastic tube long enough to go to the
        bottom of the carboy but you want to get what's above the thick white layer
        on the bottom.

        1. Put cider in carboy
        2. pitch yeast
        3. put on cork & blow off tube
        4. stick blowoff tube end in water
        5. forget about it mostly for a month
        6. after a month siphon it into another clean carboy
        7. Do ritual and party hardy
        This is a simple error-proof method of making hard cider. You can do the
        same thing with any fresh squeezed fruit juice. This mixture will be "alive"
        from the yeast as opposed to the dead wine you buy at the local liquor
        store. We are a people who revere life, shouldn't we be putting life into
        us?

        Vidar Andrewson - Mind Fire