Apple Schnapps

  • fizzynick@yahoo.co.uk
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2001
      I have been seeing a hell of a lot of apples on neighbours trees
      lately that they are not bothering to pick.
      I just wondered if anyone has tried fermenting an Apple Schnapps (or
      the like) in a pot still and if there are any tips before I go
      lugging 40 tons of apples into the back garden.

      Fizz
    • ups474@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 31, 2001
        Tips for apple schnaps:
        DON'T use any sulfite- use a large amount of yeast with competative factors
        (lalvin K1V-1116 is the best choice)
        Ferment the juice in a cool area (to aid with a mellow flavor and to help
        slow up any contaminating bacteria)
        If you do the above, and stick to basic sanitary wine making practices,
        you'll be just fine.
      • waljaco@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 31, 2001
          message/ 3290, 3292, 3299, 3305, 3340, 3369, 3370

          Apfel schnapps (German), calvados (French), applejack (U.S.), apple
          brandy (U.K.), is a good way to store surplus apples.
          Wal
        • Brad McMahon
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 31, 2001
            11/1/01 10:45:06 AM, waljaco@... wrote:

            >message/ 3290, 3292, 3299, 3305, 3340, 3369, 3370
            >
            >Apfel schnapps (German),

            Actually to be pedantic - Schnapps is the Dutch spelling,
            Schnaps is the German. So it would be Apfelschnaps.

            Cheers!

            Brad
          • waljaco@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 1, 2001
              --- In new_distillers@y..., Brad McMahon <brad@s...> wrote:
              > 11/1/01 10:45:06 AM, waljaco@h... wrote:

              > >message/ 3290, 3292, 3299, 3305, 3340, 3369, 3370
              > >
              > >Apfel schnapps (German),
              >
              > Actually to be pedantic - Schnapps is the Dutch spelling,
              > Schnaps is the German. So it would be Apfelschnaps.
              >
              > Cheers!
              >
              > Brad

              Danker Brad, I should pay more attention to the labels or use my
              BabelFish.
              Beifal,
              Wal(demar)