first run

  • Robert Nicol
    Message 1 of 27 , Oct 30, 2001

      After home brewing beer for a while, the natural progression to spirits has me making the first batch. The home brew shop sold me on the still spirits super reflux model and the local home brew shops all seem to sell it, so here I am. Following the directions I inadvertently used 9lb of dextrose instead of 9kg, with the turbo extra, oops! Not realising this until I was making up the second wash and the still was at full steam, the penny didn’t really drop until I noticed the spirit dropping in alcohol on each sample. The steam temperature after a while was sitting on a constant 94oC for several hours and it still had plenty of wash in the still. Now the instructions that I have read on different sites and the one’s that came with the still don’t really say how much of the wash will be left after the alcohol has boiled off. So I just chugged along. When the spirit was down around 20% I figured that was enough and something was up, the penny had well and truly dropped!

      My question is can I rise from the ashes and save what alcohol there is by adding some water to what I collected and running it through the still again?

      How much wash should I have left in the boiler after the process should be finalised?

      Any other pointers on how to operate this still are always most appreciated.

      Have a great day!

      Robert

      To question is to educate!

    • janpam ooms
      Message 2 of 27 , Oct 31, 2001
        Hi Robert,
        Do you have the aluminium 5 litre or stainless 25 litre version.I sometimes
        use the 25 litre one with some very good results but i always distill twice
        for a superior end result.Where do you live?
        Regards Jan.

        >From: "Robert Nicol" <dinks_c@...>
        >To: <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: [new_distillers] first run
        >Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 11:21:17 +1000
        >
        >After home brewing beer for a while, the natural progression to spirits has
        >me making the first batch. The home brew shop sold me on the still spirits
        >super reflux model and the local home brew shops all seem to sell it, so
        >here I am. Following the directions I inadvertently used 9lb of dextrose
        >instead of 9kg, with the turbo extra, oops! Not realising this until I was
        >making up the second wash and the still was at full steam, the penny didn�t
        >really drop until I noticed the spirit dropping in alcohol on each sample.
        >The steam temperature after a while was sitting on a constant 94oC for
        >several hours and it still had plenty of wash in the still. Now the
        >instructions that I have read on different sites and the one�s that came
        >with the still don�t really say how much of the wash will be left after the
        >alcohol has boiled off. So I just chugged along. When the spirit was down
        >around 20% I figured that was enough and something was up, the penny had
        >well and truly dropped!
        >
        >My question is can I rise from the ashes and save what alcohol there is by
        >adding some water to what I collected and running it through the still
        >again?
        >How much wash should I have left in the boiler after the process should be
        >finalised?
        >Any other pointers on how to operate this still are always most
        >appreciated.
        >
        >Have a great day!
        >
        >Robert
        >
        >To question is to educate!

      • Tony & Elle Ackland
        Message 3 of 27 , Oct 31, 2001
          Robert,

          > My question is can I rise from the ashes and save what alcohol there is
          > by adding some water to what I collected and running it through the
          > still again?

          yep - just make sure you've got enough added so that the element will still
          be covered once all the alcohol has been removed.

          From the graph : http:\\homedistiller.org\graphics\Alcohol_curve.jpg
          you can see that at 94C the vapour (and thus distillate) was at approx 50%
          purity

          With that reflux still, I'd expect you to actually be getting more like
          75-80%. Is there enough cooling water through the reflux collar ? Try
          increasing your water flowrate, and see if you can get the vapour
          temperature lower.

          > How much wash should I have left in the boiler after the process should
          > be finalised?

          Theres a couple of ways of working out how much you should collect / how
          much would be left.

          The most accurate is if you happen to know how much alcohol you had when
          you started - eg by measuring the starting & finishing specific gravities
          of the wash with a hydrometer, and multiplying the difference by 129 ..
          eg: if your sugar/water mix of SG=1.120 drops to 0.980, then you have a
          wash with (1.120-0.980)x129=18.1%
          Then, if its a 25L wash, 25 x 0.181 = 4.53L of pure alcohol.

          A less accurate way, if you don't have a hydrometer, is a rough estimate
          based just on how much sugar you added. Expect around 0.5 L of pure
          alcohol off every 1kg of sugar (so in your case, 9 lb = 4 kg = 2L).
          Actually, the theoretical maximum is 0.51kg off 1kg sugar, which is 0.65L,
          but then not all the sugar will fully convert to ethanol, and you won't get
          it all from the wash, etc... so 0.5L is a conservative number, but the
          maths is easy.

          Next, divide this by the purity you're collecting it at ... eg 2L of pure
          alcohol, collected at 50% purity, will take 2 / 0.5 = 4L. If you were
          collecting at 75% purity, it would be 2/0.75 = 2.7L

          So - thats the first clue - know how much to expect. The second one - w
          hich you've noticed is the rise in temperature / drop in purity. You
          probably don't want to collect the middle run past about 96C, as the tails
          start to get quite smelly from there on in. Infact, with a better still,
          you'd probably stop more like around 92C (60%), but you work with what
          you've got.

          Tony
        • S.P.MOONEY.
          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 20 4:38 AM
            Had my first run today with my mates still . Was very hard to calibrate the temp, gas burner and desired drip rate. After an hour or two I found the best temp was just under 58c.   About 25 degrees less than I expected. Any higher it would flow out.  Maybe this is due to the design of my mates keg still. And thermo position. ( When mine is finished I will have to do it all again ). I collected about 5lt in a 5 1/2 hour run. I would like to do another run using the 5lt I have collected , to refine it and my skills. Any suggestions on how to do this ? Add water ? Add it to a new wash? I have not done a % check as yet, I have to get a new spirit hydrometer.
            Keep Steamin !
            SPM

          • John Vandermeulen
            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 20 6:37 AM
              HEllo SPM

              S.P.MOONEY. wrote:

               Had my first run today with my mates still . Was very hard to calibrate the temp, gas burner and desired drip rate. After an hour or two I found the best temp was just under 58c.   About 25 degrees less than I expected. Any higher it would flow out.  Maybe this is due to the design of my mates keg still. And thermo position. ( When mine is finished I will have to do it all again ). I collected about 5lt in a 5 1/2 hour run. I would like to do another run using the 5lt I have collected , to refine it and my skills. Any suggestions on how to do this ? Add water ? Add it to a new wash? I have not done a % check as yet, I have to get a new spirit hydrometer.Keep Steamin !SPM
              That 58oC seems impossible.  And sorely puzzling as you describe collecting 5L at that temperature.  So I have some questions.
              1) Would you describe what sort of column/still you have?  Column height, diam., condenser?, reflux?, packing?  location of thermometer?
              2) Describe the cooling system?  simple condenser or S/N type? any cooling lines to the column?
              3) Volume of the kettle
              4) what is the proof of those 5L that you collected?  Just drop the alcoholmeter (NOT a sugar measuring hydrometer) into the spirit.
              John V

              ÿWPC5

            • stillyaakman
              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 28 11:21 PM
                Here's the tale
                I wanted some whisky
                When I was fifteen I read the Whole Earth Catalog and a book called
                The Alternitive which was about comunal living. In them I heard about
                homebrewing beer and it sounded so interesting I started brewing my
                own beer,... about ten years later.
                When I was seventeen I read the Foxfire Book and it contained a
                section on moonshining. Check it out. It's the real deal, Mountain
                folks making corn whisky the old way.
                It sounded so interesting I got some books on the subject. The Lore
                of Still Building and one called The Manual for the home and farm
                production of Alcohol Fuel. Then about twenty years later I was
                shopping at the local homebrew shop and saw The Complete Distiller
                and bought it. Finally I got off my ass and decided to try it out.
                I've had a 10 gal. steam kettle in my shed for a couple years that
                had called to me from a scrap heap where I worked It called out "I
                could be the heart of a still." When I decided to actually make some
                whisky I went the stock pot and two bowls method. My mash was a
                guess.I mashed five lbs. corn withfive lbs malt barly sparged it
                tomake seven gals. wort and boiled it for an hour. after it cooled I
                added sugar till I got a 20% alc. Potential on my hydrometer. Added
                Turbo extra and stood back.
                I couldn't believe The reaction. In an open fermenter I could hear it
                working from the top of my basement steps!
                After it stopped I distilled it on a hotplate in my turkey fryer
                kettle with the two bowls. I was amazed how easy it was. I ran it
                through twice and ended up with about a gal. @ 55%.
                Put it on charcoal for two weeks stiring twice a day and then ran it
                through a coffee filter,cut it back to 40% and added a small handful
                each of toasted oak and raw oak.
                Tonight I returned from being out of town for four days and did a
                tasting. There's still a dark grey tint from the charcoal but in a
                glass it has a nice light amber/grey tint and an amazing mellow
                flavor.
                I'll never look back!
                Any ideas on getting the last of the charcoal out?
                Cheers! Dan
              • dave
                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 29 1:57 AM
                  try a wine filter......should do the trick:)
                  dave

                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 29 8:14 PM
                    Several wadded up cotton balls (dampened with vodka) and stuffed into a 1/2
                    inch tube makes a good filter for the last bits of carbon. If that doesn't
                    work- the sport bottle filter made by the Brita company fits in a 2-liter
                    soda bottle with a sport top- just fill the bottle with the spirit, and let
                    the little carbon cartridge filter grab the rest of the carbon by letting it
                    drip through.
                  • scotty
                    Message 9 of 27 , Dec 27, 2003
                      maybe someone can help,made first run,sugar wash reflux still,turbo 48,came out 180 proof,just as advertised,however slightly milky and unpleasant odor,this is normal?,have activated carbon that hasn't been used yet 3 long plastic pipes i assume one fits together and fills with active carbon(which i have )however the whole thing seems rather awkward to stand ove a 3 foot pipe and trickle i the run a little at a time and as i understand it one runs water in first followed by the diluted run,any advise as to what is normal run off and filtering would be appreciatted,seeker

                    • Tarvus
                      Message 10 of 27 , Dec 27, 2003
                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "scotty" <seeker@n...> wrote:
                        > maybe someone can help,made first run,sugar wash reflux still,turbo
                        48,came out 180 proof,just as advertised,however slightly milky and
                        unpleasant odor,this is normal?

                        Hi Scotty,

                        No, it's not normal. Your distillate should come out crystal clear.

                        Is the 180 proof distillate milky or is it the liquor after you have
                        diluted it down to drinking strength? If it's the liquor after
                        dilution, then you probably allowed some fusil oils to come through
                        near the end of your run. When the proof drops during dilution,
                        these come out of solution and react with the water to make a sort of
                        milky look. This could also be the reason for the unpleasant odor.

                        If it's the 180 proof distillate thats stinky and cloudy then you
                        have other problems. Possibilities include a too vigorous boil
                        causing some of the wash to surge up through your column and into
                        your collection vessel (unlikely), or some sort of contaminant on the
                        condenser side of your still that's getting dissolved in the
                        distillate. If your still is homemade, the most likely culprit is
                        flux remaining inside the apparatus from when you soldered it
                        together. If you think that might be the case, flush your column and
                        condenser thoroughly with boiling water then run a water only run for
                        several hours to steam and flush out any remaining flux. You can
                        also use a mix of white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide to clean the
                        inside of the still. Flush thoroughly with water afterwards if you
                        use this.

                        Save the gunky stuff from your first run and re-run it after flushing
                        the still.

                        Hope this helps!
                        Tar
                      • Scottty
                        Message 11 of 27 , Dec 27, 2003
                          thanks for the advise,if anything,i was running it to cool(electric hot
                          plate 3 hrs to boil),stainless still from desti-lab,i am thinking that the
                          hose i used that came with the still,might have leeched something out as i
                          cut a length out and used that coming off the condenser to carboy,but the
                          smell is what gets me,also i dumped the first 1/2 cup when starting,but not
                          toward the end as the odor was present before i ended the run,hate to throw
                          it out,if tubing is at fault,maybe somone could recommend where to get some
                          new,once again thank you for the time,i haven't diluted it yet,Scott
                          > > maybe someone can help,made first run,sugar wash reflux still,turbo
                          > 48,came out 180 proof,just as advertised,however slightly milky and
                          > unpleasant odor,this is normal?
                          >
                          > Hi Scotty,
                          >
                          > No, it's not normal. Your distillate should come out crystal clear.
                          >
                          > Is the 180 proof distillate milky or is it the liquor after you have
                          > diluted it down to drinking strength? If it's the liquor after
                          > dilution, then you probably allowed some fusil oils to come through
                          > near the end of your run. When the proof drops during dilution,
                          > these come out of solution and react with the water to make a sort of
                          > milky look. This could also be the reason for the unpleasant odor.
                          >
                          > If it's the 180 proof distillate thats stinky and cloudy then you
                          > have other problems. Possibilities include a too vigorous boil
                          > causing some of the wash to surge up through your column and into
                          > your collection vessel (unlikely), or some sort of contaminant on the
                          > condenser side of your still that's getting dissolved in the
                          > distillate. If your still is homemade, the most likely culprit is
                          > flux remaining inside the apparatus from when you soldered it
                          > together. If you think that might be the case, flush your column and
                          > condenser thoroughly with boiling water then run a water only run for
                          > several hours to steam and flush out any remaining flux. You can
                          > also use a mix of white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide to clean the
                          > inside of the still. Flush thoroughly with water afterwards if you
                          > use this.
                          >
                          > Save the gunky stuff from your first run and re-run it after flushing
                          > the still.
                          >
                          > Hope this helps!
                          > Tar

                          > ttp://archive.nnytech.net/
                          >

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        • jimpuchai
                          Message 12 of 27 , Dec 27, 2003
                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "scotty" <seeker@n...> wrote:
                            > maybe someone can help,made first run,sugar wash reflux
                            still,turbo 48,came out 180 proof,just as advertised,however
                            slightly milky and unpleasant odor,this is normal?,have activated
                            carbon that hasn't been used yet 3 long plastic pipes i assume one
                            fits together and fills with active carbon(which i have )however the
                            whole thing seems rather awkward to stand ove a 3 foot pipe and
                            trickle i the run a little at a time and as i understand it one runs
                            water in first followed by the diluted run,any advise as to what is
                            normal run off and filtering would be appreciatted,seeker

                            Hello Scotty,
                            I took a quick look at the desti-still site to see what you are
                            using.
                            It looks to be well made but I have some reservations about the
                            stated output per hour and the ABV produced.
                            I believe that an ABV closer to 90 may be obtained if you are
                            meticulous. The production rate will determine the final ABV so
                            slow and steady should be your method.

                            I know from my own beginnings, that there is a strong temptation to
                            get on with the fun bit before the wash is really ready. I also
                            noted that I was quite likely to over-fill the pot to produce more
                            each run.
                            The cure for me, was to use no wash before it had cleared by itself.
                            This will normally indicate there is no sugar left. I also had to
                            seriously cut back on the amount of wash for each run.
                            If you over-fill and the wash has sugar and yeast in it, you are
                            almost certain to get some foaming into the column. This makes
                            rotten grog and lots of work cleaning.

                            So make haste slowly. You will find that you actually save time by
                            not having to rework batches.

                            I am no fan of plastic pipe used in this sort of project. There are
                            many who swear by them, and I am sure they are right.
                            You can buy silicone tube from aquarium shops. It is used for
                            pumping air to aereate fish tanks, and would seem to be inert enough
                            for the product.
                            I prefer to use only copper tube, but would be in a small minority I
                            think.

                            Finally, it is rare that product cannot be reworked and recovered.
                            Don't throw away the milky stuff. It is a resource you can reprocess.

                            Have fun and don't give up. You will look back at that first still
                            with affection someday.

                            Regards,
                            Jim.
                          • Scottty
                            Message 13 of 27 , Dec 28, 2003
                              i thank you for the kind words,all things worked just as advertised with
                              readings and all,will try silicone tubing,still did not overheat as i was
                              using an electric hot plate,and took 3plus hours just to get it to boil,will
                              use my propane burner next,and will try running it again after adding it to
                              the next batch,thank you for the time and kind advise,Scott
                              > > maybe someone can help,made first run,sugar wash reflux
                              > still,turbo 48,came out 180 proof,just as advertised,however
                              > slightly milky and unpleasant odor,this is normal?,have activated
                              > carbon that hasn't been used yet 3 long plastic pipes i assume one
                              > fits together and fills with active carbon(which i have )however the
                              > whole thing seems rather awkward to stand ove a 3 foot pipe and
                              > trickle i the run a little at a time and as i understand it one runs
                              > water in first followed by the diluted run,any advise as to what is
                              > normal run off and filtering would be appreciatted,seeker

                              > Hello Scotty,
                              > I took a quick look at the desti-still site to see what you are
                              > using.
                              > It looks to be well made but I have some reservations about the
                              > stated output per hour and the ABV produced.
                              > I believe that an ABV closer to 90 may be obtained if you are
                              > meticulous. The production rate will determine the final ABV so
                              > slow and steady should be your method.
                              >
                              > I know from my own beginnings, that there is a strong temptation to
                              > get on with the fun bit before the wash is really ready. I also
                              > noted that I was quite likely to over-fill the pot to produce more
                              > each run.
                              > The cure for me, was to use no wash before it had cleared by itself.
                              > This will normally indicate there is no sugar left. I also had to
                              > seriously cut back on the amount of wash for each run.
                              > If you over-fill and the wash has sugar and yeast in it, you are
                              > almost certain to get some foaming into the column. This makes
                              > rotten grog and lots of work cleaning.
                              >
                              > So make haste slowly. You will find that you actually save time by
                              > not having to rework batches.
                              >
                              > I am no fan of plastic pipe used in this sort of project. There are
                              > many who swear by them, and I am sure they are right.
                              > You can buy silicone tube from aquarium shops. It is used for
                              > pumping air to aereate fish tanks, and would seem to be inert enough
                              > for the product.
                              > I prefer to use only copper tube, but would be in a small minority I
                              > think.
                              >
                              > Finally, it is rare that product cannot be reworked and recovered.
                              > Don't throw away the milky stuff. It is a resource you can reprocess.
                              >
                              > Have fun and don't give up. You will look back at that first still
                              > with affection someday.
                              >
                              > Regards,
                              > Jim.

                              > ttp://archive.nnytech.net/
                              >

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                            • Snowblind Moose
                              Message 14 of 27 , Dec 28, 2003
                                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "scotty" <seeker@n...> wrote:
                                > maybe someone can help,made first run,sugar wash reflux still,turbo
                                48,came out 180 proof,just as advertised,however slightly milky and
                                unpleasant odor,this is normal?,have activated carbon that hasn't
                                been used yet 3 long plastic pipes i assume one fits together and
                                fills with active carbon(which i have )however the whole thing seems
                                rather awkward to stand ove a 3 foot pipe and trickle i the run a
                                little at a time and as i understand it one runs water in first
                                followed by the diluted run,any advise as to what is normal run off
                                and filtering would be appreciatted,seeker

                                You've already received good advice on your product. I will comment
                                on the filter ("3 long plastic pipes i assume one fits together and
                                fills with active carbon"). I bought the same one from a popular
                                brew-shop. It could easily be made, much cheaper, from plumbing
                                parts from a hardware store - however, it will work very well but you
                                have to do some tinkering to support the thing (like you
                                said "awkward to stand over"). I took an 8' length of 1"X 4" scrap
                                and supported the pipes (which must be joined together with the
                                provided joiners) with tape and some 2 X 4 blocks. Of course the
                                funnel goes at the top and the activated carbon fills the tubes.
                                Stand the whole thing in a corner, and give it time. Fill with water
                                first, and add your product just as the water runs out of the funnel
                                (very important to have no air in the tubes). There is lots of
                                advice on how to use this type of filter at Tony Aklands site
                                (homedistillers.org). I found after jumping through the hoops so to
                                speak, it worked very well - pure elixer is the final product. Good
                                luck and happy holidays!

                                -Tony
                              • Scottty
                                Message 15 of 27 , Dec 28, 2003
                                  thank you for the response,but i still think it should be improved on,being
                                  retired i have the time and inclination to try and do it better,Scott
                                  > > maybe someone can help,made first run,sugar wash reflux still,turbo
                                  > 48,came out 180 proof,just as advertised,however slightly milky and
                                  > unpleasant odor,this is normal?,have activated carbon that hasn't
                                  > been used yet 3 long plastic pipes i assume one fits together and
                                  > fills with active carbon(which i have )however the whole thing seems
                                  > rather awkward to stand ove a 3 foot pipe and trickle i the run a
                                  > little at a time and as i understand it one runs water in first
                                  > followed by the diluted run,any advise as to what is normal run off
                                  > and filtering would be appreciatted,seeker

                                  > You've already received good advice on your product. I will comment
                                  > on the filter ("3 long plastic pipes i assume one fits together and
                                  > fills with active carbon"). I bought the same one from a popular
                                  > brew-shop. It could easily be made, much cheaper, from plumbing
                                  > parts from a hardware store - however, it will work very well but you
                                  > have to do some tinkering to support the thing (like you
                                  > said "awkward to stand over"). I took an 8' length of 1"X 4" scrap
                                  > and supported the pipes (which must be joined together with the
                                  > provided joiners) with tape and some 2 X 4 blocks. Of course the
                                  > funnel goes at the top and the activated carbon fills the tubes.
                                  > Stand the whole thing in a corner, and give it time. Fill with water
                                  > first, and add your product just as the water runs out of the funnel
                                  > (very important to have no air in the tubes). There is lots of
                                  > advice on how to use this type of filter at Tony Aklands site
                                  > (homedistillers.org). I found after jumping through the hoops so to
                                  > speak, it worked very well - pure elixer is the final product. Good
                                  > luck and happy holidays!
                                  >
                                  > -Tony

                                  > ttp://archive.nnytech.net/
                                  >

                                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                • Cary Rhodes
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Nov 13, 2004
                                    thanks guys

                                    i have learned alot in the past few weeks.

                                    today i 'cooked' the first batch.

                                    got 3 quarts of the clearest 95% ethanol anybody could want.

                                    first batch was sugar wash.

                                    second was a horse feed brew.

                                    both were successful.

                                    I've got 20 more gallons in the fermenters.

                                    don't know what I will do with it all, but it sure is fun making it.

                                    AND the basement smells so good.

                                    later

                                    cary r
                                  • BOKAKOB
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Nov 13, 2004
                                      >AND the basement smells so good
                                      <snip>

                                      it is a sign of a leak. Make sure you have enough cooling to condense all vapors or reduce heat a bit. Good reflux still has no smells. Not even a hint of it. It all stays in the column.

                                      Unless you are talking about the wash smelling "pleasantly." In this case you have very strange taste preferences.

                                      Whatever I wrote above is my subjective opinion
                                      There are no warranties of any kind
                                      Act on your own risk and finally...
                                      I can be wrong I must say
                                      Cheers, Alex...

                                    • Lindsay Williams
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Nov 14, 2004
                                        The first run is exciting, isn't it. What are your still details? You
                                        did well to get 95% first run.

                                        Cheers,
                                        Lindsay.

                                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Cary Rhodes" <rhodeseng@y...>
                                        wrote:

                                        > thanks guys
                                        >
                                        > i have learned alot in the past few weeks.
                                        >
                                        > today i 'cooked' the first batch.
                                        >
                                        > got 3 quarts of the clearest 95% ethanol anybody could want.
                                        >
                                        > first batch was sugar wash.
                                        >
                                        > second was a horse feed brew.
                                        >
                                        > both were successful.
                                        >
                                        > I've got 20 more gallons in the fermenters.
                                        >
                                        > don't know what I will do with it all, but it sure is fun making it.
                                        >
                                        > AND the basement smells so good.
                                        >

                                        > later
                                        >
                                        > cary r
                                      • Cary Rhodes
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Nov 14, 2004
                                          you are correct about the leak.

                                          I've got to put a new gasket on the cooker lid before I render
                                          another batch.

                                          My ferementers are also in the basement.

                                          cary

                                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, BOKAKOB <bokakob@y...> wrote:
                                          > >AND the basement smells so good
                                          > <snip>
                                          >
                                          > it is a sign of a leak. Make sure you have enough cooling to
                                          condense all vapors or reduce heat a bit. Good reflux still has no
                                          smells. Not even a hint of it. It all stays in the column.

                                          > Unless you are talking about the wash smelling "pleasantly." In
                                          this case you have very strange taste preferences.

                                          > Whatever I wrote above is my subjective opinion
                                          > There are no warranties of any kind
                                          > Act on your own risk and finally...
                                          > I can be wrong I must say
                                          > Cheers, Alex...
                                          > ®

                                        • Cary Rhodes
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Nov 14, 2004
                                            I built the column from a pattern I got from HomeDistiller. 2 inch
                                            copper pipe with a shotgun condenser.

                                            I have cooling water tube crossing thru the column, then jacketing a
                                            1 inch copper condenser.

                                            all of it sitting on top of a 10 gal stainless pressure pot, fired
                                            with propane.

                                            cary

                                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsay Williams" <linw@x>
                                            wrote:

                                            > The first run is exciting, isn't it. What are your still details?
                                            You
                                            > did well to get 95% first run.
                                            >
                                            > Cheers,
                                            > Lindsay.
                                            >
                                            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Cary Rhodes"
                                            <rhodeseng@y...>
                                            > wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > thanks guys
                                            > >
                                            > > i have learned alot in the past few weeks.
                                            > >
                                            > > today i 'cooked' the first batch.
                                            > >
                                            > > got 3 quarts of the clearest 95% ethanol anybody could want.
                                            > >
                                            > > first batch was sugar wash.
                                            > >
                                            > > second was a horse feed brew.
                                            > >
                                            > > both were successful.
                                            > >
                                            > > I've got 20 more gallons in the fermenters.
                                            > >
                                            > > don't know what I will do with it all, but it sure is fun making
                                            it.

                                            > > AND the basement smells so good.
                                            > >

                                            > > later
                                            > >
                                            > > cary r
                                          • Dean Thomas
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Mar 5, 2005
                                              Just finished my first run and despite a little confusion at the start
                                              (I collected the forshots with the heads and collected the heads up to
                                              700ml instead of the usual 300-400ml for a sugar wash) I have to call it
                                              a success : ).
                                              I used 700ml recycled bourbon bottles but only filled them up to approx
                                              600ml and I ended up with approx 2400ml of 94-95% and then 150ml in the
                                              next bottle which started at 78C but rose to 82C and doesn't smell to
                                              bad to my newby nose and then in another 150ml in another bottle up to 92C.
                                              Comments are welcome as to whether or not I may have not done the cuts
                                              or anything else right but I have to say that I am extremely happy with
                                              my little plumbers nightmare.
                                              I have already started planning my next run and plan on moving my
                                              fittings around (as per my modular design) so as to try the compound set
                                              up next but have realized that I will have to drill another hole for a
                                              thermometer in the appropriate location.

                                              It only took me 15 months but I finally got there Lindsay ; )

                                              Thanks to all for all the help.
                                              Dean.
                                            • Lindsay Williams
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Mar 5, 2005
                                                Well done, mate! 15 months is a long gestation - perhaps you have an
                                                elephant there?

                                                A comment I would make re your wish to change the hardware. I found
                                                that it took about 4 runs to get the hang of how to manage a
                                                particular still. So if you keep changing the hardware you will never
                                                refine your technique. My suggestion would be to pick a hardware
                                                config and stick with this until the marbles all drop into place. just
                                                a thought.

                                                It is fun, though, eh?

                                                Cheers,
                                                Lindsay.

                                                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Dean Thomas <deanlil@p...> wrote:
                                                > Just finished my first run and despite a little confusion at the start
                                                > (I collected the forshots with the heads and collected the heads up to
                                                > 700ml instead of the usual 300-400ml for a sugar wash) I have to
                                                call it
                                                > a success : ).
                                                > I used 700ml recycled bourbon bottles but only filled them up to approx
                                                > 600ml and I ended up with approx 2400ml of 94-95% and then 150ml in the
                                                > next bottle which started at 78C but rose to 82C and doesn't smell to
                                                > bad to my newby nose and then in another 150ml in another bottle up
                                                to 92C.
                                                > Comments are welcome as to whether or not I may have not done the cuts
                                                > or anything else right but I have to say that I am extremely happy
                                                with
                                                > my little plumbers nightmare.
                                                > I have already started planning my next run and plan on moving my
                                                > fittings around (as per my modular design) so as to try the compound
                                                set
                                                > up next but have realized that I will have to drill another hole for a
                                                > thermometer in the appropriate location.
                                                >
                                                > It only took me 15 months but I finally got there Lindsay ; )
                                                >
                                                > Thanks to all for all the help.
                                                > Dean.
                                              • thebigdagojob
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Mar 5, 2005
                                                  wrote:

                                                  > Well done, mate! 15 months is a long gestation - perhaps you have
                                                  an
                                                  > elephant there?
                                                  >
                                                  > A comment I would make re your wish to change the hardware. I found
                                                  > that it took about 4 runs to get the hang of how to manage a
                                                  > particular still. So if you keep changing the hardware you will
                                                  never
                                                  > refine your technique. My suggestion would be to pick a hardware
                                                  > config and stick with this until the marbles all drop into place.
                                                  just
                                                  > a thought.
                                                  >
                                                  > It is fun, though, eh?
                                                  >
                                                  > Cheers,
                                                  > Lindsay.
                                                  >
                                                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Dean Thomas <deanlil@p...>
                                                  wrote:
                                                  > > Just finished my first run and despite a little confusion at the
                                                  start
                                                  > > (I collected the forshots with the heads and collected the heads
                                                  up to
                                                  > > 700ml instead of the usual 300-400ml for a sugar wash) I have to
                                                  > call it
                                                  > > a success : ).
                                                  > > I used 700ml recycled bourbon bottles but only filled them up to
                                                  approx
                                                  > > 600ml and I ended up with approx 2400ml of 94-95% and then 150ml
                                                  in the
                                                  > > next bottle which started at 78C but rose to 82C and doesn't
                                                  smell to
                                                  > > bad to my newby nose and then in another 150ml in another bottle
                                                  up
                                                  > to 92C.
                                                  > > Comments are welcome as to whether or not I may have not done
                                                  the cuts
                                                  > > or anything else right but I have to say that I am extremely
                                                  happy
                                                  > with
                                                  > > my little plumbers nightmare.
                                                  > > I have already started planning my next run and plan on moving
                                                  my
                                                  > > fittings around (as per my modular design) so as to try the
                                                  compound
                                                  > set
                                                  > > up next but have realized that I will have to drill another hole
                                                  for a
                                                  > > thermometer in the appropriate location.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > It only took me 15 months but I finally got there Lindsay ; )
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Thanks to all for all the help.
                                                  > > Dean.

                                                  I say NICE. If it ant broke dont fix it!

                                                  Dago
                                                • dai malson
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Sep 2, 2006
                                                    New to distilling,got lots to learn,so here's some questions to start with.
                                                    Done my first sugar wash run yesterday with strange results can anyone explain these to me.
                                                    My still is a 50lt boiler heated using 2000 w element, a 1200mm x 50mm column ,a Nixon stone offset head with 6mm pipe 4m long made into a condenser. Supplied by 300lt tank and a 14lt per min pump.
                                                    I heated up the wash until the thermometer read 72.9 C and would not go any higher,I took alcohol off at 95% but was this the right type of alcohol ?(Not wood alcohol }.Don't think thermometer was wrong but is this ok? also if the alcohol is 95% pure does it need to be carbon filtered

                                                    Cheers

                                                    Dai

                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Sep 2, 2006
                                                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, dai malson <daihappy69@...>
                                                      wrote:

                                                      > New to distilling,got lots to learn,so here's some questions to
                                                      start with.
                                                      > Done my first sugar wash run yesterday with strange results can
                                                      anyone explain these to me.
                                                      > My still is a 50lt boiler heated using 2000 w element, a 1200mm
                                                      x 50mm column ,a Nixon stone offset head with 6mm pipe 4m long made
                                                      into a condenser. Supplied by 300lt tank and a 14lt per min pump.
                                                      > I heated up the wash until the thermometer read 72.9 C and would
                                                      not go any higher,I took alcohol off at 95% but was this the right
                                                      type of alcohol ?(Not wood alcohol }.Don't think thermometer was
                                                      wrong but is this ok? also if the alcohol is 95% pure does it need
                                                      to be carbon filtered

                                                      > Cheers
                                                      >
                                                      > Dai

                                                      Either the thermometer is out of whack, or you're a long ways above
                                                      sea level. Azeotrope beverage alcohol (95.6% abv) boils at 78.3C at
                                                      sea level. The BP drops by about 1 degreeC for each 1000 feet up
                                                      you are.

                                                      Carbon? Well it doesn't 'need' to be filtered if you have done a
                                                      clean run, but there are those who claim some improvement in the
                                                      product. Personally I don't carbon, but then I don't do vodkas
                                                      either. I do whiskies & rums, and I like a bit of flavour in my
                                                      spirits. Carbon would (for me) just weaken those flavours (aka
                                                      congeners).

                                                    • Link D'Antoni
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Sep 3, 2006
                                                        Dai,

                                                        In addition to what Harry stated make sure that the
                                                        thermometer placement is correct. I do not run the
                                                        Nixon-Stone so I might be corrected on this one. You
                                                        want the thermometer to read at the point that the
                                                        vapors will pull off from your column.
                                                        And are you temp correcting the Proof hydrometer
                                                        reading? The reason for the question is that if you
                                                        indeed 'need' to filter 95% then the proof might be
                                                        incorrect.

                                                        Link

                                                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                                                      • abbababbaccc
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Sep 3, 2006
                                                          At 95.6% you get all the same congeners as you do with lower ABV. The
                                                          point is that they are typically more concentrated at the beginning and
                                                          at the end if you operate your still properly. You'll still have to do
                                                          proper cuts, preferably equilibrate the column and maintain adequate RR
                                                          to achieve completely neutral spirits. It is possible for us hobbyists
                                                          to build a still that puts out only pure 95.6% stuff, but it's quite a
                                                          leap from the original Nixon-Stone design.

                                                          Cheers, Riku