Re: [new_distillers] Re: Your archive

  • Mel
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 3, 2004
      And now your doing it too.

      Mel

      > Please read the attached file.

    • Mike Nixon
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 3, 2004
        Mel,

        Those messages with attachments are being generated by a third party! No message leaves or is received by my computer before being thoroughly scanned by the PC-cillin Internet Security program that is updated daily. I myself have just received that post you refer to, and I can tell you that I have never seen it before, nor is there a record in my logs of any such message being sent from my computer. This type of attack is easily accomplished if you have your own server program, and emails purporting to come from any email "address" can be sent at will by the ratbags who do it. Spammers do it all the time to hide their identity. It's a damned nuisance, and annoys me as much as it does you, but please do not believe for one moment that either TopKiwi (whom I know well) or I would be so childish or stoop that low.

        Ask yourself why anyone who knows that the List is set up to block attachments would be so stupid as to try and pass on a virus via an attachment. One description for such a person ... CRETIN!!!

        All the best,
        Mike N

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 3, 2004
          Mel --

          It was not Mike's machine that sent the previous infected post, nor is
          it Young Des (founder of both lists) who sends all these bogus 'Hi', and
          'Read this', infected posts either. Check the source for those messages
          -- yahoo received the posts from US IPs, both Mike and Des live in NZ.
          So, let's be quite clear about this -- THEY ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR
          THOSE EMAILS. Sorry to have shout, but this misunderstanding does seem
          to come up frequently.

          Infected (almost always Windows-based) machines scan address books then
          send infected mail out that attempts to look like one member of the
          address book to other folk on the same address book. The founder of
          reasonably high-volume lists, and frequent long-standing members of
          those same lists, are those most likely to be in folks' address books.
          Reasonably intelligent virii should be capable of sorting out a frequent
          sender's trust level on an infected machine. Ergo, the email addresses
          of Mike and Des make ideal candidates for the 'From' field of a spoofed
          email.

          That said -- attachments are blocked, no harm done.

          Mike --

          It seems your recent posts have angered the 13 year old, pimply-faced,
          script-kiddie gods of spam and trivial virii.

          Righto, so who is about ready for a drink then?

          Cheers
          Andrew

          On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 21:38 -0500, Mel wrote:
          > And now your doing it too.
          >
          > Mel
        • Mel
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 3, 2004
            Andrew I know how things work.

            OK.

            Mel
          • Mike Nixon
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 3, 2004
              Andrew Forsberg wrote:

              Mike --

              It seems your recent posts have angered the 13 year old, pimply-faced,
              script-kiddie gods of spam and trivial virii.

              Righto, so who is about ready for a drink then?

              Cheers
              Andrew
              =================
              My place or yours Andy? I've got just the most DIVINE little virus I just
              HAVE to show you.

              ATB
              Mike
            • Mike Nixon
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 3, 2004
                Mel wrote:

                Andrew I know how things work.

                OK.

                Mel
                =================
                But you clearly do not understand.

                Now button up that foul language you used to Harry!
                Not only are there ladies on the List, but it makes you sound like that 13
                year old cretin Andy spoke of.

                Mike N
              • Mel
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 3, 2004
                  Oh Mike you crack me up, and I do apologize for the foul languish, I'm sure
                  it must have offended "kissmyass@....". who's email I don't see because she
                  is in my kill file.

                  Mike your right I clearly don't understand, I want to belong to a group
                  that respects it's self enough to take the time to police the posts and the
                  people who join it, that is all I want if others do not and if I am in the
                  minority so be it, I'm sorry .

                  Mel

                  > =================
                  > But you clearly do not understand.
                  >
                  > Now button up that foul language you used to Harry!
                  > Not only are there ladies on the List, but it makes you sound like that 13
                  > year old cretin Andy spoke of.
                  >
                  > Mike N
                • Mike Nixon
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 3, 2004
                    Mel wrote:

                    Oh Mike you crack me up, and I do apologize for the foul languish, I'm sure
                    it must have offended "kissmyass@....". who's email I don't see because she
                    is in my kill file.

                    Mike your right I clearly don't understand, I want to belong to a group
                    that respects it's self enough to take the time to police the posts and the
                    people who join it, that is all I want if others do not and if I am in the
                    minority so be it, I'm sorry .
                    Let me buy you a drink Mel! :-))
                    Cheers!
                    Mike N