Re: Need yeast/nutrient info

  • thephantom207
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 2, 2004
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, suitcase1499@a... wrote:
      > If it's Alcotec 48 it already has everything in it. Have used it
      many times
      > and it works great.
      >
      > Suitcase

      It isn't Alcotech 48. It is whishkey distillers yeast from
      alltech. I found info about it on the internet that said it needed
      to be used with yeast nutrients of which I also have a pound. It is
      not very expensive and can be purchased for under $10 for 2 pounds
      and is rated up to 22% alcohol. The nutrient wasn't very expensive
      either. All in all it is somewhat cheaper than Alcotec but I
      haven't tried it yet to see if it works as quickly or a well. Thanks
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 3, 2004
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "thephantom207"
        <thephantom207@y...> wrote:

        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, suitcase1499@a... wrote:
        > > If it's Alcotec 48 it already has everything in it. Have used it
        > many times
        > > and it works great.
        > >
        > > Suitcase
        > >

        > It isn't Alcotech 48. It is whishkey distillers yeast from
        > alltech. I found info about it on the internet that said it
        needed
        > to be used with yeast nutrients of which I also have a pound. It
        is
        > not very expensive and can be purchased for under $10 for 2 pounds
        > and is rated up to 22% alcohol. The nutrient wasn't very
        expensive
        > either. All in all it is somewhat cheaper than Alcotec but I
        > haven't tried it yet to see if it works as quickly or a well.
        Thanks

        At the risk of sounding blatantly obvious, perhaps the manufacturers
        of the relevant products may be willing to part with some pertinent
        info? Emails are cheap this week.

      • Sven Pfitt
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 3, 2004
          a search with Google revealed -

          yeast-starter fermentations. Use one tsp. per gallon of must.
          Contains food-grade urea and ammonium phosphate.

          It will depend on your OG on how much you will need.

          Best to follow the recomendations that have been posted previously,
          to wit..

          Follow proper sanitization procedures on all items which will come in
          contact with cool wort/wash or yeast.

          Start with half of your sugar, say 3KG for a batch which will use 6KG
          with a final volume of 21L. Disolve this in 4L hot (90C) water along
          with 30gr of the nutrient. Once completely disolved, add this to an
          additional amount of cool water to make up a total of 16L cool to
          25C. Oxigenate the wash well either by splashing, stirring, or with
          an air stone and pump or tank of O2.

          To a 500ml of warm (32C)water add two tablespoons of yeast. Let set
          for ten minutes and stir to ensure it is well disolved into
          suspension. Pitch the yeast in the fermenter and add an air lock.

          After 12 hours, oxigenate again if you can without fear of
          contamination.

          After three days, boil 3L of water and add the remaining sugar. stir
          to disolve, add another 20gr of yeast nutrient. Cool to 32C and add
          to the fermenter.

          If you want to push the yeast, start with only 14L of water for the
          initial mix with 3Kg of sugar. Add the second 3KG of sugar batch at
          three days, and at six days make another syrup addition with just 2KG
          of sugar and water, without the nutrients, and add it to the wash.

          The idea of the incremental feeding is to prevent stressing the yeast
          with too much sugar (osmotic pressure) and thereby reduce the
          undesirable byproducts and insure full fermentation.

          Figure on taking two to three weeks to reach 0.998FG.

          Sven

          <thephantom207@y...> wrote:

          > I obtained 1 pound of Super Start Distiller Yeast made by Alltech
          > (supposed to work up to 22% alcohol) and 1 pound of Fermax Yeast
          > Nutrient however I can't find any definitive info on the ratio of
          > yeast to nutrients for a basic 25 liter sugar wash. Would a 1:1
          > ratio by weight be OK for a 20% 25 liter sugar wash with
          > 21L water and 8 kg of sugar? I noticed that a packet of Alltech 48
          > Turbo weighs approx 1/4 pound or 130 grams. Thanks in advance.
          > Phantom
        • pthoma_nz
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 3, 2004
            <thephantom207@y...> wrote:

            > I obtained 1 pound of Super Start Distiller Yeast made by Alltech
            > (supposed to work up to 22% alcohol) and 1 pound of Fermax Yeast
            > Nutrient however I can't find any definitive info on the ratio of
            > yeast to nutrients for a basic 25 liter sugar wash. Would a 1:1
            > ratio by weight be OK for a 20% 25 liter sugar wash with
            > 21L water and 8 kg of sugar? I noticed that a packet of Alltech
            48
            > Turbo weighs approx 1/4 pound or 130 grams. Thanks in advance.
            > Phantom

            I found that 80 - 100 grams of nutrient is required for a 25 litre
            wash. The amount of yeast is directly proportional to the amount of
            time it takes to ferment.

            Go with 100 gm of nutrient and 100 gm of yeast. Watch the temps. If
            it gets above 32 then use less yeast next time.
            When it is complete, does it smell of ammonia ? if so use 10 gm less
            nutrient until the smell goes.

            Too little yeast at the start will take forever to complete and for
            some reason its hard to get it goin again. Too little nutrient will
            stall it too, but if you start high you will figure out the minimum
            required easier without any failed runs.

            hth
            peet
          • Brendan Keith
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 18, 2005
              Where did you buy this yeast? Online?

              Thanks.

              --
              Brendan Keith
              bkeith@...

              > If it's Alcotec 48 it already has everything in it. Have used it
              many times
              > and it works great.
              >
              > Suitcase

              It isn't Alcotech 48. It is whishkey distillers yeast from
              alltech. I found info about it on the internet that said it needed
              to be used with yeast nutrients of which I also have a pound. It is
              not very expensive and can be purchased for under $10 for 2 pounds
              and is rated up to 22% alcohol. The nutrient wasn't very expensive
              either. All in all it is somewhat cheaper than Alcotec but I
              haven't tried it yet to see if it works as quickly or a well. Thanks

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • jcmca
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 18, 2005
                best price i have found so far is www.milehidistilling.com