Need yeast/nutrient info

  • thephantom207
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 2, 2004
      I obtained 1 pound of Super Start Distiller Yeast made by Alltech
      (supposed to work up to 22% alcohol) and 1 pound of Fermax Yeast
      Nutrient however I can't find any definitive info on the ratio of
      yeast to nutrients for a basic 25 liter sugar wash. Would a 1:1
      ratio by weight be OK for a 20% 25 liter sugar wash with
      21L water and 8 kg of sugar? I noticed that a packet of Alltech 48
      Turbo weighs approx 1/4 pound or 130 grams. Thanks in advance.
      Phantom
    • suitcase1499@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 2, 2004
        If it's Alcotec 48 it already has everything in it. Have used it many times
        and it works great.

        Suitcase

      • thephantom207
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 2, 2004
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, suitcase1499@a... wrote:
          > If it's Alcotec 48 it already has everything in it. Have used it
          many times
          > and it works great.
          >
          > Suitcase

          It isn't Alcotech 48. It is whishkey distillers yeast from
          alltech. I found info about it on the internet that said it needed
          to be used with yeast nutrients of which I also have a pound. It is
          not very expensive and can be purchased for under $10 for 2 pounds
          and is rated up to 22% alcohol. The nutrient wasn't very expensive
          either. All in all it is somewhat cheaper than Alcotec but I
          haven't tried it yet to see if it works as quickly or a well. Thanks
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 3, 2004
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "thephantom207"
            <thephantom207@y...> wrote:

            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, suitcase1499@a... wrote:
            > > If it's Alcotec 48 it already has everything in it. Have used it
            > many times
            > > and it works great.
            > >
            > > Suitcase
            > >

            > It isn't Alcotech 48. It is whishkey distillers yeast from
            > alltech. I found info about it on the internet that said it
            needed
            > to be used with yeast nutrients of which I also have a pound. It
            is
            > not very expensive and can be purchased for under $10 for 2 pounds
            > and is rated up to 22% alcohol. The nutrient wasn't very
            expensive
            > either. All in all it is somewhat cheaper than Alcotec but I
            > haven't tried it yet to see if it works as quickly or a well.
            Thanks

            At the risk of sounding blatantly obvious, perhaps the manufacturers
            of the relevant products may be willing to part with some pertinent
            info? Emails are cheap this week.

          • Sven Pfitt
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 3, 2004
              a search with Google revealed -

              yeast-starter fermentations. Use one tsp. per gallon of must.
              Contains food-grade urea and ammonium phosphate.

              It will depend on your OG on how much you will need.

              Best to follow the recomendations that have been posted previously,
              to wit..

              Follow proper sanitization procedures on all items which will come in
              contact with cool wort/wash or yeast.

              Start with half of your sugar, say 3KG for a batch which will use 6KG
              with a final volume of 21L. Disolve this in 4L hot (90C) water along
              with 30gr of the nutrient. Once completely disolved, add this to an
              additional amount of cool water to make up a total of 16L cool to
              25C. Oxigenate the wash well either by splashing, stirring, or with
              an air stone and pump or tank of O2.

              To a 500ml of warm (32C)water add two tablespoons of yeast. Let set
              for ten minutes and stir to ensure it is well disolved into
              suspension. Pitch the yeast in the fermenter and add an air lock.

              After 12 hours, oxigenate again if you can without fear of
              contamination.

              After three days, boil 3L of water and add the remaining sugar. stir
              to disolve, add another 20gr of yeast nutrient. Cool to 32C and add
              to the fermenter.

              If you want to push the yeast, start with only 14L of water for the
              initial mix with 3Kg of sugar. Add the second 3KG of sugar batch at
              three days, and at six days make another syrup addition with just 2KG
              of sugar and water, without the nutrients, and add it to the wash.

              The idea of the incremental feeding is to prevent stressing the yeast
              with too much sugar (osmotic pressure) and thereby reduce the
              undesirable byproducts and insure full fermentation.

              Figure on taking two to three weeks to reach 0.998FG.

              Sven

              <thephantom207@y...> wrote:

              > I obtained 1 pound of Super Start Distiller Yeast made by Alltech
              > (supposed to work up to 22% alcohol) and 1 pound of Fermax Yeast
              > Nutrient however I can't find any definitive info on the ratio of
              > yeast to nutrients for a basic 25 liter sugar wash. Would a 1:1
              > ratio by weight be OK for a 20% 25 liter sugar wash with
              > 21L water and 8 kg of sugar? I noticed that a packet of Alltech 48
              > Turbo weighs approx 1/4 pound or 130 grams. Thanks in advance.
              > Phantom
            • pthoma_nz
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 3, 2004
                <thephantom207@y...> wrote:

                > I obtained 1 pound of Super Start Distiller Yeast made by Alltech
                > (supposed to work up to 22% alcohol) and 1 pound of Fermax Yeast
                > Nutrient however I can't find any definitive info on the ratio of
                > yeast to nutrients for a basic 25 liter sugar wash. Would a 1:1
                > ratio by weight be OK for a 20% 25 liter sugar wash with
                > 21L water and 8 kg of sugar? I noticed that a packet of Alltech
                48
                > Turbo weighs approx 1/4 pound or 130 grams. Thanks in advance.
                > Phantom

                I found that 80 - 100 grams of nutrient is required for a 25 litre
                wash. The amount of yeast is directly proportional to the amount of
                time it takes to ferment.

                Go with 100 gm of nutrient and 100 gm of yeast. Watch the temps. If
                it gets above 32 then use less yeast next time.
                When it is complete, does it smell of ammonia ? if so use 10 gm less
                nutrient until the smell goes.

                Too little yeast at the start will take forever to complete and for
                some reason its hard to get it goin again. Too little nutrient will
                stall it too, but if you start high you will figure out the minimum
                required easier without any failed runs.

                hth
                peet
              • Brendan Keith
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 18, 2005
                  Where did you buy this yeast? Online?

                  Thanks.

                  --
                  Brendan Keith
                  bkeith@...

                  > If it's Alcotec 48 it already has everything in it. Have used it
                  many times
                  > and it works great.
                  >
                  > Suitcase

                  It isn't Alcotech 48. It is whishkey distillers yeast from
                  alltech. I found info about it on the internet that said it needed
                  to be used with yeast nutrients of which I also have a pound. It is
                  not very expensive and can be purchased for under $10 for 2 pounds
                  and is rated up to 22% alcohol. The nutrient wasn't very expensive
                  either. All in all it is somewhat cheaper than Alcotec but I
                  haven't tried it yet to see if it works as quickly or a well. Thanks

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • jcmca
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 18, 2005
                    best price i have found so far is www.milehidistilling.com