Re: [new_distillers] Re: safe alcohol containers

  • David W Lunsford
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 29, 2004
      there is a plastic which will not be affected by, or affect the
      distillate....it is the plastic which is used in making the screw on
      caps....find out what that is, and VOILA!!! maxtonnage

      At 02:01 AM 11/29/04 -0000, you wrote:

      >Most plastic containers have on them somewhere a recycling emblem
      >triangle of arrows with a number
      >number 2 is hdpe and is used for vodka and bourbon bulk containers
      >here in New Zealand for 37.5% abv by distillers. Not sure how high an
      >alcohole content I would go with these containers but have stored ^0%
      >in with no problems
      >No 5 is polypropylene and this is even better for higher proof
      >spirits
      >--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "popwahtosh" <popwahtosh@y...>
      >wrote:
      >>
      >> --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...>
      >> wrote:
      >> >
      >> > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "schwarzenduder"
      >> > <schwarzenduder@y...> wrote:
      >> > >

      >> Hey, Harry! risking the possibility that I may sound ignorant, what
      >> does PET & HDPE stand for? What are the white plastic buckets made
      >of
      >> that I buy in the paint stores? And lastly, what ABOUT the gas cans?
      >>
      >> Thanks
      >>
      >> Pop
      >>

      >> mof plastic are the used to make the are n> > Mates-
      >beer
      >> > in
      >contaminated.
      >> > (never
      >> > pour,
      >> > plastic

      >> > I honestly don't know where people get this phobia about
      >plastics.
      >> > Sure, there are some that are a no-no, but any PET or HDPE
      >> container
      >> > will handle spirit up to 55% abv with ease, and no leaching. I
      >> even
      >> > use a clear plastic hose (lab grade) to steer my pure alcohol
      >into
      >> > the glass collection bottles, still no leaching. Even the
      >alcohol
      >> > industry uses plastic. Just ask any nightclub or bar that serves
      >> > spirits from a pressure gun. Their spirits are delivered in 20
      >> > litre plastic drums. I have a dozen or so in the shed right
      >now.
      >> > Some are ex-Bundy Rum (yellow HDPE), some are ex-Jim Beam (white
      >> > HDPE), some are ex-Kirov Vodka (white HDPE). You might try
      >asking
      >> > them if you can buy the empties, as they are not allowed by law
      >> > be refilled by the companies, same as plastic coke bottles. I
      >> > bought mine for AUD$5.00 each, complete with about a cupfull of
      >> > liquor in each one. Bargain, says I.
      >> >

      >> > Slainte!
      >> > regards Harry

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • popwahtosh
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 30, 2004
        Harry........thanks for the link to the plastics info site. It
        certainly takes much of the guess work out of the task of choosing.

        Pop

        work out of choosing which type I never --- In
        new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...> wrote:

        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "schwarzenduder"
        > <schwarzenduder@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Mates-
        > > I am looking for a good, safe, container to hold my stripped beer
        > in
        > > until I can reflux distill. 40% to 50% alcohol can damage many
        > > plastic containers, causing the stripped beer to be contaminated.
        > > was thinking of using a brand new (plastic) gasoline container
        > (never
        > > been touched by petrol). Would this work? It would be easy to
        > pour,
        > > sturdy, and have a tight, spill-proof lid. Is the standard,
        > plastic
        > > portable gasoline container safe?
        > >
        > > Thank you all -
        >

        > I honestly don't know where people get this phobia about plastics.
        > Sure, there are some that are a no-no, but any PET or HDPE
        container
        > will handle spirit up to 55% abv with ease, and no leaching. I
        even
        > use a clear plastic hose (lab grade) to steer my pure alcohol into
        > the glass collection bottles, still no leaching. Even the alcohol
        > industry uses plastic. Just ask any nightclub or bar that serves
        > spirits from a pressure gun. Their spirits are delivered in 20
        > litre plastic drums. I have a dozen or so in the shed right now.
        > Some are ex-Bundy Rum (yellow HDPE), some are ex-Jim Beam (white
        > HDPE), some are ex-Kirov Vodka (white HDPE). You might try asking
        > them if you can buy the empties, as they are not allowed by law to
        > be refilled by the companies, same as plastic coke bottles. I
        > bought mine for AUD$5.00 each, complete with about a cupfull of
        > liquor in each one. Bargain, says I.
        >

        > Slainte!
        > regards Harry
      • Lindsay Williams
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 1, 2004
          Screw caps for what? Our milk container tops are "2", HDPE, and
          coke/soft drink caps seem to be "5", polypropylene. These two plastics
          seem to be the common ones for "food" grade usage.

          Cheers,
          Lindsay.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, David W Lunsford

        • _{*L*}_
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 1, 2004
            It is called Polypropelene

            David W Lunsford <maxtonnage@...> wrote:there is a plastic which will not be affected by, or affect the distillate....it is the plastic which is used in making the screw on
            caps....find out what that is, and VOILA!!! maxtonnage

            Always check my current auction offerings on eBay!

            Whatever is written above is my subjective opinion
            There are no warranties of any kind whatsoever
            You've been warned, act on your own risk
            And finally, I can be wrong I must say!
            Alex (aka BOKAKOB)