safe alcohol containers

  • schwarzenduder
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 27, 2004
      Mates-
      I am looking for a good, safe, container to hold my stripped beer in
      until I can reflux distill. 40% to 50% alcohol can damage many
      plastic containers, causing the stripped beer to be contaminated. I
      was thinking of using a brand new (plastic) gasoline container (never
      been touched by petrol). Would this work? It would be easy to pour,
      sturdy, and have a tight, spill-proof lid. Is the standard, plastic
      portable gasoline container safe?

      Thank you all -
    • peeniwali
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 27, 2004
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "schwarzenduder"
        <schwarzenduder@y...> wrote:

        > I am looking for a good, safe, container.

        Personally I like two materials: High Density PolyEthylene, aka, HDPE
        and glass. Both are standard fare in any lab, a place that must often
        meet a higher standard for contamination and safety. I keep heads and
        tails in 4L glass wine bottles with a screw top. I havent broken them
        yet but if I was concered about breakage and maybe needing more volume
        I would use either a Nalgene HDPE container, (screw top HDPE) or a
        food grade bucket with an O ring seal lid. Most home brew shops sell
        these as fermenters. 19 to 22L depending on what size u buy, so they
        are big and generally speaking, cheap.

        > I was thinking of using a brand new (plastic) gasoline container
        (never been touched by petrol). Would this work?

        I would skip it. Sounds handy and all but I would wonder about
        plastisizers and such. Gas cans do not have to meet the higher
        standard of food grade containers so although it may be just fine it
        may not. While this may sound like paranoia I can say this: stick your
        nose into both a Nalgene bottle and a gas can and you should notice a
        plastic smell in the gas can and not the Nalgene bottle. Now you make
        the call.

        -peeniwali
      • peeniwali
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 27, 2004

          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 28, 2004
            <schwarzenduder@y...> wrote:

            > Mates-
            > I am looking for a good, safe, container to hold my stripped beer
            in
            > until I can reflux distill. 40% to 50% alcohol can damage many
            > plastic containers, causing the stripped beer to be contaminated.
            > was thinking of using a brand new (plastic) gasoline container
            (never
            > been touched by petrol). Would this work? It would be easy to
            pour,
            > sturdy, and have a tight, spill-proof lid. Is the standard,
            plastic
            > portable gasoline container safe?
            >
            > Thank you all -

            I honestly don't know where people get this phobia about plastics.
            Sure, there are some that are a no-no, but any PET or HDPE container
            will handle spirit up to 55% abv with ease, and no leaching. I even
            use a clear plastic hose (lab grade) to steer my pure alcohol into
            the glass collection bottles, still no leaching. Even the alcohol
            industry uses plastic. Just ask any nightclub or bar that serves
            spirits from a pressure gun. Their spirits are delivered in 20
            litre plastic drums. I have a dozen or so in the shed right now.
            Some are ex-Bundy Rum (yellow HDPE), some are ex-Jim Beam (white
            HDPE), some are ex-Kirov Vodka (white HDPE). You might try asking
            them if you can buy the empties, as they are not allowed by law to
            be refilled by the companies, same as plastic coke bottles. I
            bought mine for AUD$5.00 each, complete with about a cupfull of
            liquor in each one. Bargain, says I.

          • Jan Ooms
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 28, 2004
              All depends on your age. If you are an old fart, use it. If you are young, stay away from all plastics and alcohol. It will all backfire on you when you are becoming a geriatric and you wonder why the surgeons cut out most of your intestines and other vital organs.
              Use only glass or stainless steel, at least you will be sure that your product will not harm you or your mates.
              Best Regards,
              Jan.
              I am looking for a good, safe, container to hold my stripped beer in
              until I can reflux distill. 40% to 50% alcohol can damage many
              plastic containers, causing the stripped beer to be contaminated. I
              was thinking of using a brand new (plastic) gasoline container (never
              been touched by petrol). Would this work? It would be easy to pour,
              sturdy, and have a tight, spill-proof lid. Is the standard, plastic
              portable gasoline container safe?

              Thank you all -

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Levi Langershank
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 28, 2004
                Maybe,if he is 'lucky',he will get run-over by a garbage truck etc before
                that happens....:>)

                .
                >Best Regards,
                >Jan.

              • Lindsay Williams
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 28, 2004
                  Aaaaargh, the great plastic demon! I use some plastic but, like you,
                  are selective. I use both PETE bottles and glass. I would also use
                  HDPE and PP if I had them. Those 20l drums sound good. The cup full of
                  booze would be $5 worth! You would think the bar staff would tip all
                  the "dregs" into one drum for the Xmas staff party!!

                  Cheers,
                  Lindsay.

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...> wrote:

                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "schwarzenduder"
                  > <schwarzenduder@y...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Mates-
                  > > I am looking for a good, safe, container to hold my stripped beer
                  > in
                  > > until I can reflux distill. 40% to 50% alcohol can damage many
                  > > plastic containers, causing the stripped beer to be contaminated.
                  > > was thinking of using a brand new (plastic) gasoline container
                  > (never
                  > > been touched by petrol). Would this work? It would be easy to
                  > pour,
                  > > sturdy, and have a tight, spill-proof lid. Is the standard,
                  > plastic
                  > > portable gasoline container safe?
                  > >
                  > > Thank you all -
                  >

                  > I honestly don't know where people get this phobia about plastics.
                  > Sure, there are some that are a no-no, but any PET or HDPE container
                  > will handle spirit up to 55% abv with ease, and no leaching. I even
                  > use a clear plastic hose (lab grade) to steer my pure alcohol into
                  > the glass collection bottles, still no leaching. Even the alcohol
                  > industry uses plastic. Just ask any nightclub or bar that serves
                  > spirits from a pressure gun. Their spirits are delivered in 20
                  > litre plastic drums. I have a dozen or so in the shed right now.
                  > Some are ex-Bundy Rum (yellow HDPE), some are ex-Jim Beam (white
                  > HDPE), some are ex-Kirov Vodka (white HDPE). You might try asking
                  > them if you can buy the empties, as they are not allowed by law to
                  > be refilled by the companies, same as plastic coke bottles. I
                  > bought mine for AUD$5.00 each, complete with about a cupfull of
                  > liquor in each one. Bargain, says I.
                  >

                  > Slainte!
                  > regards Harry
                • popwahtosh
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 28, 2004
                    wrote:

                    > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "schwarzenduder"
                    > <schwarzenduder@y...> wrote:

                    Hey, Harry! risking the possibility that I may sound ignorant, what
                    does PET & HDPE stand for? What are the white plastic buckets made of
                    that I buy in the paint stores? And lastly, what ABOUT the gas cans?

                    Thanks

                    Pop

                    mof plastic are the used to make the are n> > Mates-

                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 28, 2004
                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "popwahtosh"
                      <popwahtosh@y...> wrote:

                      > Hey, Harry! risking the possibility that I may sound ignorant,
                      what
                      > does PET & HDPE stand for? What are the white plastic buckets made
                      of
                      > that I buy in the paint stores? And lastly, what ABOUT the gas
                      cans?

                      > Thanks
                      >
                      > Pop

                      Plastic Properties Chart here...
                      http://www.oshun.ca/pchart.html

                      Definitions? and what your buckets are? Resin Identification Codes
                      here...
                      http://tinyurl.com/3k77h

                      Gas cans?. Find the stamped symbol, compare it to the codes and
                      suitability.

                    • Adam
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 28, 2004
                        gas cans are iffy. poly plastics "PET"--i.e. soda bottles, milk jugs".
                        and high density poly plastics"HDPE" are the best bet for storing. But
                        do not store them near heat as they will deform and start leaking. And
                        then there is the old trusty standby----- Good old-fashioned
                        recappable beer bottles. hope this helps, I'm new
                      • Dave Nay
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 28, 2004
                          What ever happened to good old Mason (canning/preserving) jars? They
                          have to be cheaper than nalgene jars (if you are planning on buying new,
                          not scavenging used containers)

                          Dave

                          schwarzenduder wrote:

                          > Mates-
                          > I am looking for a good, safe, container to hold my stripped beer in
                          > until I can reflux distill. 40% to 50% alcohol can damage many
                          > plastic containers, causing the stripped beer to be contaminated. I
                          > was thinking of using a brand new (plastic) gasoline container (never
                          > been touched by petrol). Would this work? It would be easy to pour,
                          > sturdy, and have a tight, spill-proof lid. Is the standard, plastic
                          > portable gasoline container safe?
                          >
                          > Thank you all -

                          > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
                          > click here
                          > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129g770ua/M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=groups/S=1705041694:HM/EXP=1101709041/A=2434970/R=0/SIG=11edksnhv/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185402>

                        • getafix96
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 28, 2004
                            Most plastic containers have on them somewhere a recycling emblem
                            triangle of arrows with a number
                            number 2 is hdpe and is used for vodka and bourbon bulk containers
                            here in New Zealand for 37.5% abv by distillers. Not sure how high an
                            alcohole content I would go with these containers but have stored ^0%
                            in with no problems
                            No 5 is polypropylene and this is even better for higher proof
                            spirits
                            wrote:

                            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...>
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "schwarzenduder"
                            > > <schwarzenduder@y...> wrote:
                            > > >

                            > Hey, Harry! risking the possibility that I may sound ignorant, what
                            > does PET & HDPE stand for? What are the white plastic buckets made
                            of
                            > that I buy in the paint stores? And lastly, what ABOUT the gas cans?
                            >
                            > Thanks
                            >
                            > Pop
                            >

                            > mof plastic are the used to make the are n> > Mates-
                            > > > I am looking for a good, safe, container to hold my stripped
                            beer
                            > > in
                            > > > until I can reflux distill. 40% to 50% alcohol can damage many
                            > > > plastic containers, causing the stripped beer to be
                            contaminated.
                            > > > was thinking of using a brand new (plastic) gasoline container
                            > > (never
                            > > > been touched by petrol). Would this work? It would be easy to
                            > > pour,
                            > > > sturdy, and have a tight, spill-proof lid. Is the standard,
                            > > plastic
                            > > > portable gasoline container safe?
                            > > >
                            > > > Thank you all -
                            > >

                            > > I honestly don't know where people get this phobia about
                            plastics.
                            > > Sure, there are some that are a no-no, but any PET or HDPE
                            > container
                            > > will handle spirit up to 55% abv with ease, and no leaching. I
                            > even
                            > > use a clear plastic hose (lab grade) to steer my pure alcohol
                            into
                            > > the glass collection bottles, still no leaching. Even the
                            alcohol
                            > > industry uses plastic. Just ask any nightclub or bar that serves
                            > > spirits from a pressure gun. Their spirits are delivered in 20
                            > > litre plastic drums. I have a dozen or so in the shed right
                            now.
                            > > Some are ex-Bundy Rum (yellow HDPE), some are ex-Jim Beam (white
                            > > HDPE), some are ex-Kirov Vodka (white HDPE). You might try
                            asking
                            > > them if you can buy the empties, as they are not allowed by law
                            > > be refilled by the companies, same as plastic coke bottles. I
                            > > bought mine for AUD$5.00 each, complete with about a cupfull of
                            > > liquor in each one. Bargain, says I.
                            > >

                            > > Slainte!
                            > > regards Harry
                          • David W Lunsford
                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 29, 2004
                              there is a plastic which will not be affected by, or affect the
                              distillate....it is the plastic which is used in making the screw on
                              caps....find out what that is, and VOILA!!! maxtonnage

                              At 02:01 AM 11/29/04 -0000, you wrote:

                              >Most plastic containers have on them somewhere a recycling emblem
                              >triangle of arrows with a number
                              >number 2 is hdpe and is used for vodka and bourbon bulk containers
                              >here in New Zealand for 37.5% abv by distillers. Not sure how high an
                              >alcohole content I would go with these containers but have stored ^0%
                              >in with no problems
                              >No 5 is polypropylene and this is even better for higher proof
                              >spirits
                              >--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "popwahtosh" <popwahtosh@y...>
                              >wrote:
                              >>
                              >> --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...>
                              >> wrote:
                              >> >
                              >> > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "schwarzenduder"
                              >> > <schwarzenduder@y...> wrote:
                              >> > >

                              >> Hey, Harry! risking the possibility that I may sound ignorant, what
                              >> does PET & HDPE stand for? What are the white plastic buckets made
                              >of
                              >> that I buy in the paint stores? And lastly, what ABOUT the gas cans?
                              >>
                              >> Thanks
                              >>
                              >> Pop
                              >>

                              >> mof plastic are the used to make the are n> > Mates-
                              >beer
                              >> > in
                              >contaminated.
                              >> > (never
                              >> > pour,
                              >> > plastic

                              >> > I honestly don't know where people get this phobia about
                              >plastics.
                              >> > Sure, there are some that are a no-no, but any PET or HDPE
                              >> container
                              >> > will handle spirit up to 55% abv with ease, and no leaching. I
                              >> even
                              >> > use a clear plastic hose (lab grade) to steer my pure alcohol
                              >into
                              >> > the glass collection bottles, still no leaching. Even the
                              >alcohol
                              >> > industry uses plastic. Just ask any nightclub or bar that serves
                              >> > spirits from a pressure gun. Their spirits are delivered in 20
                              >> > litre plastic drums. I have a dozen or so in the shed right
                              >now.
                              >> > Some are ex-Bundy Rum (yellow HDPE), some are ex-Jim Beam (white
                              >> > HDPE), some are ex-Kirov Vodka (white HDPE). You might try
                              >asking
                              >> > them if you can buy the empties, as they are not allowed by law
                              >> > be refilled by the companies, same as plastic coke bottles. I
                              >> > bought mine for AUD$5.00 each, complete with about a cupfull of
                              >> > liquor in each one. Bargain, says I.
                              >> >

                              >> > Slainte!
                              >> > regards Harry

                              >Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • popwahtosh
                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 30, 2004
                                Harry........thanks for the link to the plastics info site. It
                                certainly takes much of the guess work out of the task of choosing.

                                Pop

                                work out of choosing which type I never --- In
                                new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...> wrote:

                                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "schwarzenduder"
                                > <schwarzenduder@y...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Mates-
                                > > I am looking for a good, safe, container to hold my stripped beer
                                > in
                                > > until I can reflux distill. 40% to 50% alcohol can damage many
                                > > plastic containers, causing the stripped beer to be contaminated.
                                > > was thinking of using a brand new (plastic) gasoline container
                                > (never
                                > > been touched by petrol). Would this work? It would be easy to
                                > pour,
                                > > sturdy, and have a tight, spill-proof lid. Is the standard,
                                > plastic
                                > > portable gasoline container safe?
                                > >
                                > > Thank you all -
                                >

                                > I honestly don't know where people get this phobia about plastics.
                                > Sure, there are some that are a no-no, but any PET or HDPE
                                container
                                > will handle spirit up to 55% abv with ease, and no leaching. I
                                even
                                > use a clear plastic hose (lab grade) to steer my pure alcohol into
                                > the glass collection bottles, still no leaching. Even the alcohol
                                > industry uses plastic. Just ask any nightclub or bar that serves
                                > spirits from a pressure gun. Their spirits are delivered in 20
                                > litre plastic drums. I have a dozen or so in the shed right now.
                                > Some are ex-Bundy Rum (yellow HDPE), some are ex-Jim Beam (white
                                > HDPE), some are ex-Kirov Vodka (white HDPE). You might try asking
                                > them if you can buy the empties, as they are not allowed by law to
                                > be refilled by the companies, same as plastic coke bottles. I
                                > bought mine for AUD$5.00 each, complete with about a cupfull of
                                > liquor in each one. Bargain, says I.
                                >

                                > Slainte!
                                > regards Harry
                              • Lindsay Williams
                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 1, 2004
                                  Screw caps for what? Our milk container tops are "2", HDPE, and
                                  coke/soft drink caps seem to be "5", polypropylene. These two plastics
                                  seem to be the common ones for "food" grade usage.

                                  Cheers,
                                  Lindsay.

                                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, David W Lunsford

                                • _{*L*}_
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 1, 2004
                                    It is called Polypropelene

                                    David W Lunsford <maxtonnage@...> wrote:there is a plastic which will not be affected by, or affect the distillate....it is the plastic which is used in making the screw on
                                    caps....find out what that is, and VOILA!!! maxtonnage

                                    Always check my current auction offerings on eBay!

                                    Whatever is written above is my subjective opinion
                                    There are no warranties of any kind whatsoever
                                    You've been warned, act on your own risk
                                    And finally, I can be wrong I must say!
                                    Alex (aka BOKAKOB)