1st Run "Teething Problems"

  • hal031235@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 27, 2001
      Hi

      I had my first run in anger today of the still I described in post
      #1130.

      I have tested the seal with boiling water and also when beer
      stripping and try as I may I can't get the top to seal. I have used
      three tubes of silicon mastic with some silicon tubing and it leaked.
      I weighted the top down and it leaked. I tied the top down and then
      weighted it and it still leaked a little, so I thought that I would
      go with that.

      Anyway, when I tried today it started to hiss when it started to
      boil, so I stopped and sealed it with flour paste. When it had cooled
      I tried again and it leaked! The vapour pushed its way past the paste
      that had hardened, by softening it and started to hiss.

      I finally stopped and when everything had cooled checked the still to
      see if there was some sort of blockage, but I can blow through the
      condensor etc and so I will now try plan B (except I don't have one
      as yet?? any suggestions?)I guess I will have to put together some
      sort of screw down mechanism around the top.

      I have created an album called HAL031235 in the Photos section for
      anyone whose interested in the still

      regards
      Ron
    • walpole2000@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 27, 2001
        why not try something real simple. Get a big sheet of cork, with a
        thick ness of say 3mm. Then put that between the pot and the lid,
        then use F clamps or G clamps to tighten the lid down.
      • hal031235@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 30, 2001
          Hi

          I've been thinking about my problem with sealing the lid on the
          boiler and I have put together a solution (I hope!). Since I used a
          piece of silicon hose embedded in the silicon mastic as a seal, there
          is not enough downward pressure to compress the hose and form a tight
          seal with the few psi of pressure from the boiling vapour acting on
          the large surface area of the lid. So have put together a frame to
          compress the lid onto the boiler. I have added another photo in the
          photo library under HAL031235. Its made from MDF and 10mm threaded
          steel rod.
          (Is this the best way to show photos? I can't work out how to show a
          link to the pictures)

          I haven't had a chance to test it because I managed to break my
          thermometer, so I am awaiting a new one, but I will let you know how
          it goes. Does anyone know of a UK supplier of a suitable digital
          thermometer?

          One thing I have learnt, is that using vaseline to stop the silicon
          mastic sticking to the boiler didn't work very well and was difficlut
          to remove afterwards. What works much better is washing up liquid
          only very slight diluted say 1:1 and it is much easier to wash off
          afterwards.

          regards
          Ron
        • al lewis
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 30, 2001
            Hi Ron Maplins have a very nice digital thermometer you can order on line,
            al

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 30, 2001
              Thanks Al

              unfortunately all I could find was a dating agency at maplins.co.uk,
              any idea what the correct web site is (although the other one may
              come in useful one day!)
              regards
              Ron

              --- In new_distillers@y..., "al lewis" <salamat25@h...> wrote:

              > Hi Ron Maplins have a very nice digital thermometer you can order
              on line,
              > al
              >
              > >From: hal031235@h...
              > >To: new_distillers@y...
              > >Subject: [new_distillers] Re: 1st Run "Teething Problems"
              > >Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 17:19:14 -0000
              > >
              > >Hi
              > >link to the pictures)
              > >
              > >I haven't had a chance to test it because I managed to break my
              > >thermometer, so I am awaiting a new one, but I will let you know
              how
              > >it goes. Does anyone know of a UK supplier of a suitable digital
              > >thermometer?
              > >

              > >regards
              > >Ron

              http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp
            • al lewis
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 30, 2001
                Hi, you were more fortunate than me :)
                try www.maplin.co.uk
                the one Im on about is Probe Thermometer Ref HA418735. better luck? al

                >From: hal031235@...
                >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [new_distillers] Re: 1st Run "Teething Problems"
                >Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 23:40:27 -0000

              • Tony & Elle Ackland
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 31, 2001
                  Ron

                  > So have put together a frame to
                  > compress the lid onto the boiler

                  looks good - a better solution than the lead weight belt I use !

                  One thing I did when making the silastic seal was to make some "match here"
                  lines on both the lid and the boiler, so that every time I fit the lid, its
                  in exactly the same position it was when I formed the seal

                  Tony
                • hal031235@hotmail.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 1, 2001

                    #1130. ..... but it leaked"

                    Hi
                    first thanks to Al and to Tony for their help. I have now run the
                    still to strip beer with my clamping mechanism and new digital
                    thermometer and the seal now works great!!

                    One thing though that I am curious about, when the beer was coming up
                    to boil, the temperature at the top of the still head had not moved
                    from 12c, but just before it stared to move I got a strong smell
                    of "alcoholic bananas", quite pleasant really, and then if I smell
                    for vapour at then exit of the still a VERY strong alcoholic vapour
                    smell, lasted for about a minute and throughout all this time no
                    temperature change, still 12c?? Any ideas?

                    Also, when I come to distill the "fine wine", I will have about 20
                    litres of 50% by volume alcohol, how long do you think that this will
                    take to distill, FYI so you don't have to read #1130, I have a 3kw
                    heater with a 42mm by 1.2 metre fractionating tube?

                    Another question whilst I am asking, why would you bother trying to
                    distill 94% alchol slowly, if you could distill 80% a lot faster,
                    (assuming the other 20% is water) if at the end you're going to add
                    water to get it to say 50% anyway?

                    thanks for all the help I have been getting

                    Ron
                  • Tony & Elle Ackland
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 1, 2001
                      > One thing though that I am curious about, when the beer was coming up
                      > to boil, the temperature at the top of the still head had not moved
                      > from 12c, but just before it stared to move I got a strong smell
                      > of "alcoholic bananas", quite pleasant really,

                      This is an ester, called isoamyl acetate
                      It means something to the beer brewers - one of the side reactions that
                      they don't exactly want.

                      Similar esters, used as artifical flavours include ..
                      apricot : amyl butyrate
                      apple : isoamyl isovalerate
                      pineapple : ethyl butyrate
                      grape : methyl anthranilate
                      wintergreen : methyl slicylate

                      > and then if I smell
                      > for vapour at then exit of the still a VERY strong alcoholic vapour
                      > smell, lasted for about a minute and throughout all this time no
                      > temperature change, still 12c?? Any ideas?

                      Could be the first of the alcohol being pushed out along with the air, too
                      rapidly past the condenser ?? Guessing here.

                      > Also, when I come to distill the "fine wine", I will have about 20
                      > litres of 50% by volume alcohol, how long do you think that this will
                      > take to distill, FYI so you don't have to read #1130, I have a 3kw
                      > heater with a 42mm by 1.2 metre fractionating tube?

                      About 22 minutes to heat up to boiling point, then maybe 6 hours to distill
                      off ? Its going to depend on what reflux ratio you need - 360 minutes is
                      based on RR=3
                      See http:\\homedistiller.org\reflux_calc.htm

                      > Another question whilst I am asking, why would you bother trying to
                      > distill 94% alchol slowly, if you could distill 80% a lot faster,
                      > (assuming the other 20% is water) if at the end you're going to add
                      > water to get it to say 50% anyway?

                      Its the difference between having 6% impurities present, or 20%
                      Although the 6% or 20% is mostly water, there's still enough other
                      alcohols, aldehydes, esters, etc present, in very trace amounts, to affect
                      the flavour.
                      The cleaner you can distill the alcohol to begin with, the less flavour it
                      will have after its been diluted.
                      The 80% spirit will be rougher, and burn more in the throat, whereas the
                      94% one will be smoother, after they've both been knocked down to 50%

                      Tony
                    • hal031235@hotmail.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 2, 2001
                        Thanks Tony
                        Ron asked :

                        Tony wrote :

                        "This is an ester, called isoamyl acetate
                        > It means something to the beer brewers - one of the side reactions
                        that they don't exactly want."

                        My new question :
                        Will this ester be absent in the distilled alcohol, ie is it boiled
                        off first or will I end up with Banana Vodka? Also, could I have
                        avoided it when fermenting my sugar and bakers yeast wash by doing
                        something different?

                        thanks for all yorur help, you are very generous with your time

                        regards
                        Ron