surging

  • currybite01
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2004
      thanks Mike
      I have always had my column packing right to the bottom so I cant see
      that anything has really changed but I will try as you say and leave
      some gap at the bottom.I am willing to try just about anything at the
      momment before I die of bloody thirst!

      Regards

      Terry
    • Mike Nixon
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 3, 2004
        currybite01 wrote:
        Subject: [new_distillers] surging

        thanks Mike
        I have always had my column packing right to the bottom so I cant see
        that anything has really changed but I will try as you say and leave
        some gap at the bottom.I am willing to try just about anything at the
        momment before I die of bloody thirst!

        ==================
        Please let me know Terry. A thirsty man is not a happy sight!

        All the best,
        Mike N
      • yukon656
        Message 3 of 3 , May 3, 2006
          Hello all

          The other day I was going to distill 1 gal of low wines 40 abv in my 4
          gal ss boiler. I put 4 10mm glass beads in the boiler and started the
          run. After about 10min of collecting(2 drips/sec)I began having
          massive vapor surges that blew right past the condenser and into the
          air! The heat was absolute minimum and water flow at max and it made
          no difference. After the 3rd surge I shut it down. Was this caused by
          the extra space in the boiler from it being only 1/3 full? This was
          the most unnerving experience. I am building a more capable condenser
          no matter but would like to know the possible cause.

          Thanks

          S! Yukon

          PS This was without my thumper in place.