RE- my new supercoil Cold Finger

  • Phil
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3 3:20 AM
      Greetings Alex

      could you please explain the reasoning for the " cold finger " in your new super coil ??

      Phil ( new member, perusing archives and getting a feel for the List )
      looking forward to getting acquainted with you all...

      Dear Distinguished Members!

      I take some liberty of sending new photos of the new coil I am building right now. The soldering is 95% complete and I have one dirty coil left for cleaning. It is built with two layers of copper tubing plus a cold finger made of half-inch pipe inside. I ask if anyone would help in suggesting a method of cleaning this caked oxides layer. I would like it shine like a new penny first time I use it. Please help with your advice.

      Thank you all, Alex (aka BOKAKOB)

      P.S. I could not upload pictures to the files section - there is very little space left.

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • BOKAKOB
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 3 5:15 AM
        Phil,

        the purpose of the cold finger in my particular case was some paranoid fear of insufficient cooling. The good thing about the cold finger is that it effectively reduces �free� space in the cooling chamber. It also looks good :)

        To say honestly, there is no particular need for this �cold finger.� It can be very safely replaced with one or two stainless steel or copper scrubbers neatly packed in that cavity. But I did and I called it �Super Coil�

        Some information about Super Coil:

        Outer Coil turns � 29

        diameter - 1.625�

        length - 148�

        area - 116 sq. in

        Inner Coil turns � 29

        diameter - 1.06�

        length - 96�

        area - 75 sq. in

        Cold Finger h x dia - 10.5� x 0.625�

        area - 21 sq. in

        Total cooling area: - 212 sq. in

        - (1368 sq. cm)

        Whatever I wrote above is my subjective opinion
        There are no warranties of any kind
        Act on your own risk and finally...
        I can be wrong I must say
        Cheers, Alex...

      • waljaco
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 3 6:21 PM
          For those who find making a coil daunting, a central cold finger
          inside the column, with a water jacket or coil on the outside, with
          some mesh in the gap between the two to act as a vapour trap, might
          be an effective simple solution. The two can be connected with the
          water from the cold finger going into the exteranl jacker or coil.
          wal