Copper

  • Stevensgang@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 18, 2000
      Tony! I was looking for some copper to build the whole still with. I
      just thought if I was going to do it I may as well go all out. And make
      a family heirloom. All those pics you've been showing have got me fired
      up to build something nice! I can find some places up here to buy sheet
      copper from but I just ain't priced any yet! I just thought maybe you
      had an idea on price. No biggie. As far as patterns go i guess the sky
      is the limit. But I'll make sure to incorporate some kind of a goose
      neck it sounds kinda important for the reflux factor. Though I am
      strictly interested in a pot-still. Can I actually braze with a lttle
      propane torch or is that strictly for soldering? I'm trying to find an
      old elec. or gas stove to set up out in the garage as my heat source. My
      present heat soure is an elec. hot plate it does O.K. sorta. it takes a
      long time to run off a little bit. Well thanks for taking the time to
      listen to my thoughts and for all the help you've give me Trying to
      run a bead somewhere in the U.S. See ya!!!!
    • ups474@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 12, 2000
        --- In new_distillers@egroups.com, Stevensgang@w... wrote:
        > Tony! I was looking for some copper to build the whole still with. I
        > just thought if I was going to do it I may as well go all out. And
        make
        > a family heirloom. All those pics you've been showing have got me
        fired
        > up to build something nice! I can find some places up here to buy
        sheet
        > copper from but I just ain't priced any yet! I just thought maybe
        you
        > had an idea on price. No biggie. As far as patterns go i guess the
        sky
        > is the limit. But I'll make sure to incorporate some kind of a goose
        > neck it sounds kinda important for the reflux factor. Though I am
        > strictly interested in a pot-still. Can I actually braze with a
        lttle
        > propane torch or is that strictly for soldering? I'm trying to find
        an
        > old elec. or gas stove to set up out in the garage as my heat
        source. My
        > present heat soure is an elec. hot plate it does O.K. sorta. it
        takes a
        > long time to run off a little bit. Well thanks for taking the time
        > listen to my thoughts and for all the help you've give me
        Trying to
        > run a bead somewhere in the U.S. See ya!!!!

        ---I looked into a large chain store that sells a few pieces of sheet
        metal. Be ready for an unpleasant suprise when you price the copper
        sheeting. a 2'by 4' piece of copper costs about $25US on the west
        coast. Your "family heirloom" may quickly turn into the "family
        fortune" If you can find a scrap metal dealer, he will have it
        cheaper. If you can find an old hot water heater (an antique) you
        might be in luck, some older models were made up of a copper boiler
        with a sheet metal covering. If you can get one, you will have a
        ready made boiler once you remove the covering. Good luck!