Re: Threaded Copper adaptor for Standard US Beer Keg

  • tfurey7
    Message 1 of 36 , Nov 2, 2004
      Thanks Harry, I do keep my garage well ventilated when I am
      distilling. The last thing I want to do is start a fire or worse yet
      blow something up.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...>
      wrote:

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tfurey7" <tfurey7@y...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Harry, This is a non issue if you are using propane .. Right?
      > >
      > > Tim
      >

      > Safety is never a non-issue, Tim. That particular scenario
      pertains
      > to using internal electric elements. Propane is another situation
      > altogether with it's own set of Do's & Dont's. Leakages, ambient
      > temperature, strength of distillate, all are things to be mindful
      > of. Why ambient temp? Read on.
      >
      > You need to understand the properties of the substance you are
      > dealing with i.e., alcohol. It has a boiling point (common
      > knowledge) of about 78C @ 100% purity (rough figures for ease of
      > explanation). What is NOT commonly known is that it also has a
      > FLASH POINT.
      >
      > The flash point is the temperature at which the liquid GIVES OFF
      > SUFFICIENT VAPOURS TO BE IGNITED. If room temperature is below
      the
      > flash point temperature, the liquid will not produce enough
      vapours
      > to form a combustible mixture with the air.
      >
      > However, the LOWER the flash point of the liquid, the EASIER it is
      > to have a combustible mixture at room temperature, because room
      > temp. (aka ambient) will be warmer than the flash point of the
      > liquid.
      >
      > Example: gasoline has a flash point of -38C (which is why it is
      hard
      > to start your car at -45C) while kerosene has a flash point of
      +38C.
      > At ambient temperatures, it is harder to start kerosene on fire
      than
      > gasoline, however, both are flammable liquids.
      >
      > Ethanol is a flammable liquid. At 100% purity ethanol has a flash
      > point of 13C. An ethanol/water solution that is about 55%
      (vol/vol)
      > has a flash point around 21C. As you can see, at ambient
      > temperatures your once-distilled (stripped) AND your twice-
      distilled
      > (keepers) alcohol both would give off vapours. Therefore be very
      > careful if working with naked flame. Burning alcohol is sometimes
      > very difficult to see (faint blue flame), until it's too late.
      >
      > HTH
      > Slainte!
      > regards harry
    • David W Lunsford
      Message 36 of 36 , Nov 3, 2004
        I use propane, and I seem to have very few problems, compared to the other
        members with electric...Dave