Re: Threaded Copper adaptor for Standard US Beer Keg

    Message 1 of 36 , Nov 2, 2004
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tfurey7" <tfurey7@y...>
      wrote:

      > Harry, This is a non issue if you are using propane .. Right?
      >
      > Tim

      Safety is never a non-issue, Tim. That particular scenario pertains
      to using internal electric elements. Propane is another situation
      altogether with it's own set of Do's & Dont's. Leakages, ambient
      temperature, strength of distillate, all are things to be mindful
      of. Why ambient temp? Read on.

      You need to understand the properties of the substance you are
      dealing with i.e., alcohol. It has a boiling point (common
      knowledge) of about 78C @ 100% purity (rough figures for ease of
      explanation). What is NOT commonly known is that it also has a
      FLASH POINT.

      The flash point is the temperature at which the liquid GIVES OFF
      SUFFICIENT VAPOURS TO BE IGNITED. If room temperature is below the
      flash point temperature, the liquid will not produce enough vapours
      to form a combustible mixture with the air.

      However, the LOWER the flash point of the liquid, the EASIER it is
      to have a combustible mixture at room temperature, because room
      temp. (aka ambient) will be warmer than the flash point of the
      liquid.

      Example: gasoline has a flash point of -38C (which is why it is hard
      to start your car at -45C) while kerosene has a flash point of +38C.
      At ambient temperatures, it is harder to start kerosene on fire than
      gasoline, however, both are flammable liquids.

      Ethanol is a flammable liquid. At 100% purity ethanol has a flash
      point of 13C. An ethanol/water solution that is about 55% (vol/vol)
      has a flash point around 21C. As you can see, at ambient
      temperatures your once-distilled (stripped) AND your twice-distilled
      (keepers) alcohol both would give off vapours. Therefore be very
      careful if working with naked flame. Burning alcohol is sometimes
      very difficult to see (faint blue flame), until it's too late.

      HTH
      Slainte!
      regards harry
    • David W Lunsford
      Message 36 of 36 , Nov 3, 2004
        I use propane, and I seem to have very few problems, compared to the other
        members with electric...Dave