Re: Threaded Copper adaptor for Standard US Beer Keg

  • Cary Rhodes
    Message 1 of 36 , Nov 2, 2004
      tim

      this is indeed a different scenario for the gas burners.

      However, anytime an enclosed and airtight vessel is heated there
      must be some method of monitoring AND relieving excess pressure
      should unplanned events happen.

      gas burners have a continued source of ignition to cause fires or
      explosions.

      always be carefull

      cary r

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tfurey7" <tfurey7@y...> wrote:

      > > In the situation Jim is talking about, you put your first
      runnings
      > > back into the still (40-50+% abv) and the element is not
      covered.
      > > Screw down the lid and you have a stainless steel keg with a bit
      > of
      > > fuel, a lot of air, and an exposed electric ignition device in
      the
      > > space above the fuel, where the fumes are mixing with the air you
      > > trapped inside when you sealed the lid on. Flick the awitch and
      > you
      > > will have a very large steel grenade trying it's hardest to part
      > > your extremities from your torso.
      > >
      > > This has happened to Jim in real life, through a comedy of
      > errors.
      > > He's lucky to be here to tell the tale. That's why we are so
      > > adamant about sight levels for this type of keg setup. An ounce
      > of
      > > prevention is worth a ton of cure (if you survive), and if you
      > don't
      > > survive, then your family will have a rough time collecting on
      > your
      > > life insurance.
      > >
      > > As for the hayburner, well....when the heavens opened up I knew
      he
      > > was no chance. Duffer in the wet. I backed the quinella (Makybe
      > > Diva & Vinnie Roe, with 3 others thrown in) on wet-track form,
      but
      > > it cost me just as much to put on (5-way ticket = $10) as what
      the
      > > dividend paid ($10). Eh bien....c'est la vie. :-/
      > >

      > > Slainte!
      > > regards Harry
      >

      > Harry, This is a non issue if you are using propane .. Right?
      >
      > Tim
    • David W Lunsford
      Message 36 of 36 , Nov 3, 2004
        I use propane, and I seem to have very few problems, compared to the other
        members with electric...Dave