Re: clearing mash

  • waljaco
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 2, 2004
      In cognac/brandy production the yeast is deliberately retained in the
      wash to be distilled because it adds complexity to the final product
      (about 80%abv)!
      wal

    • Mike Nixon
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 2, 2004
        waljaco wrote:
        Subject: [new_distillers] Re: clearing mash

        In cognac/brandy production the yeast is deliberately retained in the
        wash to be distilled because it adds complexity to the final product
        (about 80%abv)!
        wal
        ================
        There you go! Thanks Wal. I never realised that I was being so complex by
        not clearing my wash :-)
        All the best,
        Mike N
      • Julia
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 2, 2004
          Hi,

          My friend just came back from Taiwan and she brought back 2 different kind of yeast for me. These yeast are for making chinese rice wine(they are not white ball as sold in chinese market, they are loose and light brown color just like regular yeast for making bread), they have a very strong smell. My question is how do i store them to keep them fresh? should I put them into refri? or freezer?

          Thanks
          Julia

          Julia in PA