Re: Threaded Copper adaptor for Standard US Beer Keg

    Message 1 of 36 , Nov 1, 2004
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Nixon" <mike@s...>
      wrote:

      > A very good point Reima. You need a fuel (ethanol) and an oxidant
      (air)
      > before you can hope to get ignition .... and I hope nobody comes
      out with
      > the old chestnut of "But you get them mixed after the thing has
      exploded!"
      > That's putting the cart before the horse.
      >
      > Which reminds me ..... Harry, that was a bum steer you gave at the
      Race
      > today Mate!!!!!!! :-))
      >
      > All the best,
      > Mike N

      In the situation Jim is talking about, you put your first runnings
      back into the still (40-50+% abv) and the element is not covered.
      Screw down the lid and you have a stainless steel keg with a bit of
      fuel, a lot of air, and an exposed electric ignition device in the
      space above the fuel, where the fumes are mixing with the air you
      trapped inside when you sealed the lid on. Flick the awitch and you
      will have a very large steel grenade trying it's hardest to part
      your extremities from your torso.

      This has happened to Jim in real life, through a comedy of errors.
      He's lucky to be here to tell the tale. That's why we are so
      adamant about sight levels for this type of keg setup. An ounce of
      prevention is worth a ton of cure (if you survive), and if you don't
      survive, then your family will have a rough time collecting on your
      life insurance.

      As for the hayburner, well....when the heavens opened up I knew he
      was no chance. Duffer in the wet. I backed the quinella (Makybe
      Diva & Vinnie Roe, with 3 others thrown in) on wet-track form, but
      it cost me just as much to put on (5-way ticket = $10) as what the
      dividend paid ($10). Eh bien....c'est la vie. :-/

    • David W Lunsford
      Message 36 of 36 , Nov 3, 2004
        I use propane, and I seem to have very few problems, compared to the other
        members with electric...Dave