RE: [new_distillers] clearing mash

  • Levi Langershank
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2004
      I use Prestige Turbos exclusively...I usually use 16 lbs sugar....varying
      with ambient temperature,it settles fairly thoroughly after about 8-12 days
      from pitching the yeast.....also,I think you need to check your SG readings
      again....:>)
      ...by the way,the wash dosnt have to settle to be distilled...I have
      distilled 1-2 days after end of ferment....clearing agents are another
      option...good luck...:>)

      >From: "Jason" <jkenosh@...>
      >Subject: [new_distillers] clearing mash
      >Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 19:44:36 -0000
      >

      > i tried to make a 25 liter mash usind 15 pounds of sugar and 1
      >packet of turbo pure yeast and kept it at room tempature, my problem
      >is it wont settle, any ideas? my specific gravity did drop from 1.3
      >to 9.9 is it ok to use if not clear?

    • Mike Nixon
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 1, 2004
        pthoma_nz wrote:
        Subject: [new_distillers] Re: clearing mash

        Mike,
        Wine is decanted several times specifically to reduce the taint
        caused by the yeast and by products of fermentation. Assuming your
        still is getting over 95% you may get away by leaving yeast in the
        wash, or throwing in salts and other stuff with no noticable effect,
        but surely by starting out with low off products in the wash, you
        make the job of distillation easier, esp. when you may not have a
        reflux still, or you are starting.... I would say the opinions are
        divided only if you get clean product from your reflux and you've
        figured out your cuts... ?
        -----------------------
        Hi Peet,

        For wines or beers, I couldn't agree with you more as raw yeast doesn't
        taste very nice (wine lees are rather unpleasant), and a cloudy wine or beer
        is not attractive. However, I would maintain that it's quite another
        matter if you are distilling. If boiling the yeast does release more
        compounds, then they will only join a rather large population of congeners
        that have already been produced during fermentation. The process of removing
        heads and tails will be no different if the yeasts contribute a little bit
        more, so time or difficulty should not be an issue. I would also suggest
        that the by-products of cooked yeast are nowhere near as nasty as the
        alcohol congeners, and that any poor smell or taste from a less than a
        perfectly separated distillation will be almost exclusively from the pungent
        congeners. We all know what cooked yeast smells and tastes like ... it's
        that wonderful smell and taste you get with freshly baked leavened bread ...
        and I certainly don't get that, even with a very poor run. So I honestly
        don't think it makes any difference at all if you don't clear a wash before
        distilling it.

        All the best,
        Mike N
      • Levi Langershank
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 1, 2004
          I agree totally with Mike...based on many years of personal experience,I can
          honestly say that I cant tell any difference in the final product when a
          wash is cleared before distilling or when it isnt...the ONLY reason I
          distill a cleared wash is because it cleared naturally before I got around
          to distilling it.......I normally keep 15-20 gallons of distillate in
          various stages of completion,therefore I am in no rush to distill
          more...JMPO of course....:>)

          >From: "Mike Nixon" <mike@...>
          >Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: clearing mash
          >Mike,
          >Wine is decanted several times specifically to reduce the taint
          >caused by the yeast and by products of fermentation. .. I would say the
          >opinions are
          >divided only if you get clean product from your reflux and you've
          >figured out your cuts... ?
          >-----------------------
          >Hi Peet,
          >
          >For wines or beers, I couldn't agree with you more However, I would
          >maintain that it's quite another
          >matter if you are distilling. . I would also suggest
          >that the by-products of cooked yeast are nowhere near as nasty as the
          >alcohol congeners, We all know what cooked yeast smells and tastes like
          >... it's
          >that wonderful smell and taste you get with freshly baked leavened bread
          >and I certainly don't get that, even with a very poor run. So I honestly
          >don't think it makes any difference at all if you don't clear a wash before
          >distilling it.
          >
          >All the best,
          >Mike N

        • pthoma_nz
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 1, 2004
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Nixon" <mike@s...>
            wrote:
            We all know what cooked yeast smells and tastes like ... it's
            > that wonderful smell and taste you get with freshly baked leavened
            bread ...

            I can just see my next label... Vodka triple distilled with a slight
            hint of french loaf... ;o)

            peet
          • waljaco
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 2, 2004
              In cognac/brandy production the yeast is deliberately retained in the
              wash to be distilled because it adds complexity to the final product
              (about 80%abv)!
              wal

            • Mike Nixon
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 2, 2004
                waljaco wrote:

                In cognac/brandy production the yeast is deliberately retained in the
                wash to be distilled because it adds complexity to the final product
                (about 80%abv)!
                wal
                ================
                There you go! Thanks Wal. I never realised that I was being so complex by
                not clearing my wash :-)
                All the best,
                Mike N
              • Julia
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 2, 2004
                  Hi,

                  My friend just came back from Taiwan and she brought back 2 different kind of yeast for me. These yeast are for making chinese rice wine(they are not white ball as sold in chinese market, they are loose and light brown color just like regular yeast for making bread), they have a very strong smell. My question is how do i store them to keep them fresh? should I put them into refri? or freezer?

                  Thanks
                  Julia

                  Julia in PA