Re: [new_distillers] clearing mash

  • Mike Nixon
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2004
      Jason wrote:
      Subject: [new_distillers] clearing mash

      i tried to make a 25 liter mash usind 15 pounds of sugar and 1
      packet of turbo pure yeast and kept it at room tempature, my problem
      is it wont settle, any ideas? my specific gravity did drop from 1.3
      to 9.9 is it ok to use if not clear?
      ================
      I think you may mean 0.99 ? :-)

      Opinions on clearing are divided. Some will say that the cooked yeast will
      add unwanted oils etc to the wash, and that many of these are volatile and
      come off with the vapor (with all solids left behind in the boiler). That
      may well be true, but the whole point of distillation is that it is a
      process by which you can separate out such undesired components, which will
      be in either the heads or the tails, neither of which you collect for your
      final, clean product.

      I personally never bother settling out the yeast, and have never noticed any
      problems. In any event, most of what you see in a turbo wash are the finely
      divided particles of the "carrier" that is added (often dead yeast husks).
      This forms a large part in a turbo yeast packet, and is there to provide a
      platform on which the yeast can float around in the body of the wash instead
      of settling to the bottom. Trying to settle something that is deliberately
      selected for its resistance to settling is like trying to stop the tide
      coming in by will-power alone!

      All the best,
      Mike N
    • pthoma_nz
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 1, 2004
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Nixon" <mike@s...>
        wrote:
        > Opinions on clearing are divided. Some will say that the cooked
        yeast will
        > add unwanted oils etc to the wash, and that many of these are
        volatile and
        > come off with the vapor (with all solids left behind in the
        boiler). That
        > may well be true, but the whole point of distillation is that it
        is a
        > process by which you can separate out such undesired components,

        Mike,
        Wine is decanted several times specifically to reduce the taint
        caused by the yeast and by products of fermentation. Assuming your
        still is getting over 95% you may get away by leaving yeast in the
        wash, or throwing in salts and other stuff with no noticable effect,
        but surely by starting out with low off products in the wash, you
        make the job of distillation easier, esp. when you may not have a
        reflux still, or you are starting.... I would say the opinions are
        divided only if you get clean product from your reflux and you've
        figured out your cuts... ?

        peet
      • Levi Langershank
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 1, 2004
          I use Prestige Turbos exclusively...I usually use 16 lbs sugar....varying
          with ambient temperature,it settles fairly thoroughly after about 8-12 days
          from pitching the yeast.....also,I think you need to check your SG readings
          again....:>)
          ...by the way,the wash dosnt have to settle to be distilled...I have
          distilled 1-2 days after end of ferment....clearing agents are another
          option...good luck...:>)

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 1, 2004
            pthoma_nz wrote:
            Subject: [new_distillers] Re: clearing mash

            Mike,
            Wine is decanted several times specifically to reduce the taint
            caused by the yeast and by products of fermentation. Assuming your
            still is getting over 95% you may get away by leaving yeast in the
            wash, or throwing in salts and other stuff with no noticable effect,
            but surely by starting out with low off products in the wash, you
            make the job of distillation easier, esp. when you may not have a
            reflux still, or you are starting.... I would say the opinions are
            divided only if you get clean product from your reflux and you've
            figured out your cuts... ?
            -----------------------
            Hi Peet,

            For wines or beers, I couldn't agree with you more as raw yeast doesn't
            taste very nice (wine lees are rather unpleasant), and a cloudy wine or beer
            is not attractive. However, I would maintain that it's quite another
            matter if you are distilling. If boiling the yeast does release more
            compounds, then they will only join a rather large population of congeners
            that have already been produced during fermentation. The process of removing
            heads and tails will be no different if the yeasts contribute a little bit
            more, so time or difficulty should not be an issue. I would also suggest
            that the by-products of cooked yeast are nowhere near as nasty as the
            alcohol congeners, and that any poor smell or taste from a less than a
            perfectly separated distillation will be almost exclusively from the pungent
            congeners. We all know what cooked yeast smells and tastes like ... it's
            that wonderful smell and taste you get with freshly baked leavened bread ...
            and I certainly don't get that, even with a very poor run. So I honestly
            don't think it makes any difference at all if you don't clear a wash before
            distilling it.

            All the best,
            Mike N
          • Levi Langershank
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 1, 2004
              I agree totally with Mike...based on many years of personal experience,I can
              honestly say that I cant tell any difference in the final product when a
              wash is cleared before distilling or when it isnt...the ONLY reason I
              distill a cleared wash is because it cleared naturally before I got around
              to distilling it.......I normally keep 15-20 gallons of distillate in
              various stages of completion,therefore I am in no rush to distill
              more...JMPO of course....:>)

              >From: "Mike Nixon" <mike@...>
              >Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: clearing mash
              >Mike,
              >Wine is decanted several times specifically to reduce the taint
              >caused by the yeast and by products of fermentation. .. I would say the
              >opinions are
              >divided only if you get clean product from your reflux and you've
              >figured out your cuts... ?
              >-----------------------
              >Hi Peet,
              >
              >For wines or beers, I couldn't agree with you more However, I would
              >maintain that it's quite another
              >matter if you are distilling. . I would also suggest
              >that the by-products of cooked yeast are nowhere near as nasty as the
              >alcohol congeners, We all know what cooked yeast smells and tastes like
              >... it's
              >that wonderful smell and taste you get with freshly baked leavened bread
              >and I certainly don't get that, even with a very poor run. So I honestly
              >don't think it makes any difference at all if you don't clear a wash before
              >distilling it.
              >
              >All the best,
              >Mike N

            • pthoma_nz
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 1, 2004
                wrote:
                We all know what cooked yeast smells and tastes like ... it's
                > that wonderful smell and taste you get with freshly baked leavened
                bread ...

                I can just see my next label... Vodka triple distilled with a slight
                hint of french loaf... ;o)

                peet
              • waljaco
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 2, 2004
                  In cognac/brandy production the yeast is deliberately retained in the
                  wash to be distilled because it adds complexity to the final product
                  (about 80%abv)!
                  wal

                • Mike Nixon
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 2, 2004
                    waljaco wrote:

                    In cognac/brandy production the yeast is deliberately retained in the
                    wash to be distilled because it adds complexity to the final product
                    (about 80%abv)!
                    wal
                    ================
                    There you go! Thanks Wal. I never realised that I was being so complex by
                    not clearing my wash :-)
                    All the best,
                    Mike N
                  • Julia
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 2, 2004
                      Hi,

                      My friend just came back from Taiwan and she brought back 2 different kind of yeast for me. These yeast are for making chinese rice wine(they are not white ball as sold in chinese market, they are loose and light brown color just like regular yeast for making bread), they have a very strong smell. My question is how do i store them to keep them fresh? should I put them into refri? or freezer?

                      Thanks
                      Julia

                      Julia in PA