Re: [new_distillers] clearing mash

  • Derek Hamlet
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2004
      yes
      At 11:44 AM 01/11/2004, you wrote:

      > i tried to make a 25 liter mash usind 15 pounds of sugar and 1
      >packet of turbo pure yeast and kept it at room tempature, my problem
      >is it wont settle, any ideas? my specific gravity did drop from 1.3
      >to 9.9 is it ok to use if not clear?

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      Derek Hamlet
      Victoria, B.C.
    • Jason
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 1, 2004
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Jason" <jkenosh@h...> wrote:

          > i tried to make a 25 liter mash usind 15 pounds of sugar and 1
          > packet of turbo pure yeast and kept it at room tempature, my
          problem
          > is it wont settle, any ideas? my specific gravity did drop from
          1.3
          > to 9.9 is it ok to use if not clear?

          You can use it cloudy, it will carry across more off flavours though
          (from the yeast bursting).

          How long since the bubbling stopped? It will clear eventually, and
          providing you have a sealed fermenter with airlock, it will not
          spoil. The last sugars are converted very slowly so I would give it
          some more time. If you can move the bin to a cold area, the cooling
          will speed up the clearing process. There is also a product to clear
          wines and washes. It is usually two packets, stir the first one in,
          wait a while then add the second. I have used it making wine and it
          gets it crystal clear, but time will do the same thing....
        • Mike Nixon
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 1, 2004
            Jason wrote:
            Subject: [new_distillers] clearing mash

            i tried to make a 25 liter mash usind 15 pounds of sugar and 1
            packet of turbo pure yeast and kept it at room tempature, my problem
            is it wont settle, any ideas? my specific gravity did drop from 1.3
            to 9.9 is it ok to use if not clear?
            ================
            I think you may mean 0.99 ? :-)

            Opinions on clearing are divided. Some will say that the cooked yeast will
            add unwanted oils etc to the wash, and that many of these are volatile and
            come off with the vapor (with all solids left behind in the boiler). That
            may well be true, but the whole point of distillation is that it is a
            process by which you can separate out such undesired components, which will
            be in either the heads or the tails, neither of which you collect for your
            final, clean product.

            I personally never bother settling out the yeast, and have never noticed any
            problems. In any event, most of what you see in a turbo wash are the finely
            divided particles of the "carrier" that is added (often dead yeast husks).
            This forms a large part in a turbo yeast packet, and is there to provide a
            platform on which the yeast can float around in the body of the wash instead
            of settling to the bottom. Trying to settle something that is deliberately
            selected for its resistance to settling is like trying to stop the tide
            coming in by will-power alone!

            All the best,
            Mike N
          • pthoma_nz
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 1, 2004
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Nixon" <mike@s...>
              wrote:
              > Opinions on clearing are divided. Some will say that the cooked
              yeast will
              > add unwanted oils etc to the wash, and that many of these are
              volatile and
              > come off with the vapor (with all solids left behind in the
              boiler). That
              > may well be true, but the whole point of distillation is that it
              is a
              > process by which you can separate out such undesired components,

              Mike,
              Wine is decanted several times specifically to reduce the taint
              caused by the yeast and by products of fermentation. Assuming your
              still is getting over 95% you may get away by leaving yeast in the
              wash, or throwing in salts and other stuff with no noticable effect,
              but surely by starting out with low off products in the wash, you
              make the job of distillation easier, esp. when you may not have a
              reflux still, or you are starting.... I would say the opinions are
              divided only if you get clean product from your reflux and you've
              figured out your cuts... ?

              peet
            • Levi Langershank
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 1, 2004
                I use Prestige Turbos exclusively...I usually use 16 lbs sugar....varying
                with ambient temperature,it settles fairly thoroughly after about 8-12 days
                from pitching the yeast.....also,I think you need to check your SG readings
                again....:>)
                ...by the way,the wash dosnt have to settle to be distilled...I have
                distilled 1-2 days after end of ferment....clearing agents are another
                option...good luck...:>)

                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 1, 2004
                  pthoma_nz wrote:
                  Subject: [new_distillers] Re: clearing mash

                  Mike,
                  Wine is decanted several times specifically to reduce the taint
                  caused by the yeast and by products of fermentation. Assuming your
                  still is getting over 95% you may get away by leaving yeast in the
                  wash, or throwing in salts and other stuff with no noticable effect,
                  but surely by starting out with low off products in the wash, you
                  make the job of distillation easier, esp. when you may not have a
                  reflux still, or you are starting.... I would say the opinions are
                  divided only if you get clean product from your reflux and you've
                  figured out your cuts... ?
                  -----------------------
                  Hi Peet,

                  For wines or beers, I couldn't agree with you more as raw yeast doesn't
                  taste very nice (wine lees are rather unpleasant), and a cloudy wine or beer
                  is not attractive. However, I would maintain that it's quite another
                  matter if you are distilling. If boiling the yeast does release more
                  compounds, then they will only join a rather large population of congeners
                  that have already been produced during fermentation. The process of removing
                  heads and tails will be no different if the yeasts contribute a little bit
                  more, so time or difficulty should not be an issue. I would also suggest
                  that the by-products of cooked yeast are nowhere near as nasty as the
                  alcohol congeners, and that any poor smell or taste from a less than a
                  perfectly separated distillation will be almost exclusively from the pungent
                  congeners. We all know what cooked yeast smells and tastes like ... it's
                  that wonderful smell and taste you get with freshly baked leavened bread ...
                  and I certainly don't get that, even with a very poor run. So I honestly
                  don't think it makes any difference at all if you don't clear a wash before
                  distilling it.

                  All the best,
                  Mike N
                • Levi Langershank
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 1, 2004
                    I agree totally with Mike...based on many years of personal experience,I can
                    honestly say that I cant tell any difference in the final product when a
                    wash is cleared before distilling or when it isnt...the ONLY reason I
                    distill a cleared wash is because it cleared naturally before I got around
                    to distilling it.......I normally keep 15-20 gallons of distillate in
                    various stages of completion,therefore I am in no rush to distill
                    more...JMPO of course....:>)

                    >From: "Mike Nixon" <mike@...>
                    >Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: clearing mash
                    >Mike,
                    >Wine is decanted several times specifically to reduce the taint
                    >caused by the yeast and by products of fermentation. .. I would say the
                    >opinions are
                    >divided only if you get clean product from your reflux and you've
                    >figured out your cuts... ?
                    >-----------------------
                    >Hi Peet,
                    >
                    >For wines or beers, I couldn't agree with you more However, I would
                    >maintain that it's quite another
                    >matter if you are distilling. . I would also suggest
                    >that the by-products of cooked yeast are nowhere near as nasty as the
                    >alcohol congeners, We all know what cooked yeast smells and tastes like
                    >... it's
                    >that wonderful smell and taste you get with freshly baked leavened bread
                    >and I certainly don't get that, even with a very poor run. So I honestly
                    >don't think it makes any difference at all if you don't clear a wash before
                    >distilling it.
                    >
                    >All the best,
                    >Mike N

                  • pthoma_nz
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 1, 2004
                      wrote:
                      We all know what cooked yeast smells and tastes like ... it's
                      > that wonderful smell and taste you get with freshly baked leavened
                      bread ...

                      I can just see my next label... Vodka triple distilled with a slight
                      hint of french loaf... ;o)

                      peet
                    • waljaco
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 2, 2004
                        In cognac/brandy production the yeast is deliberately retained in the
                        wash to be distilled because it adds complexity to the final product
                        (about 80%abv)!
                        wal

                      • Mike Nixon
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 2, 2004
                          waljaco wrote:

                          In cognac/brandy production the yeast is deliberately retained in the
                          wash to be distilled because it adds complexity to the final product
                          (about 80%abv)!
                          wal
                          ================
                          There you go! Thanks Wal. I never realised that I was being so complex by
                          not clearing my wash :-)
                          All the best,
                          Mike N
                        • Julia
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 2, 2004
                            Hi,

                            My friend just came back from Taiwan and she brought back 2 different kind of yeast for me. These yeast are for making chinese rice wine(they are not white ball as sold in chinese market, they are loose and light brown color just like regular yeast for making bread), they have a very strong smell. My question is how do i store them to keep them fresh? should I put them into refri? or freezer?

                            Thanks
                            Julia

                            Julia in PA