Re: Wood chips or concentrate, Maybe combination ?

  • Lindsay Williams
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2004
      I usually do gin essence but recently have tried soaking rum and
      whiskey chips. The rum and whiskey certainly come out of the chips.
      With both I have experimented with adding the normal amount of essence
      and, though I am no expert taster, they taste quite good. But then I
      may be biased! I guess you just have to try these things yourself and
      experiment. I just used 100ml lots so it is not expensive to trial
      recipes. And if all else fails, re-distill it!

      Cheers,
      Lindsay.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "oldelsey"
      <merlingraphics@b...> wrote:

      > Gday Folks,Anyone out there have an Opinion on this?
      >
      > Ken
    • pthoma_nz
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2004
        <merlingraphics@b...> wrote:

        > Gday Folks,Anyone out there have an Opinion on this?
        >
        > Ken

        Yup ....both...

        Homedistiller.org has some good recipes. The bourbon recipe there
        uses 3 essences, and two chip types. Make a whiskey using half
        sachet of essence and add chips for at least 2 months. Also add
        other things, pepper, sherry, juniper berries dependant on spirit
        type, to lift your product above what comes from a packet. Also be
        aware that you get different flavours from chip at different abv %.