Is it possible to recover a culture from a sample of chinese rice wine?

  • BOKAKOB
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2004
      I have a friend who brought me a small bottle, perhaps 50mL, of aged rice wine made with red rice culture. I was told it arrived from mainland China where this wine is brewed for centuries. I am not sure what culture and yeast were used but the taste is exquisite! It has color of regular black tea, rum or regular whiskey. The rice aroma is definitely there and there is a strong aftertaste of wine. It is pretty strong too. I was told it is aged at least five years in bottle without any light. I love it.

      Now, I want to find out if it is possible to somehow to propagate the culture which I suspect is still might be in the solution. The wine was made with old recipe and I am almost positive it was not pasteurized. So, is there any way to multiply whatever cultures are in this wine and continue brewing with this strain?

      Thank you for any leads because it is worth it! Alex (aka BOKAKOB)