Wood chips or concentrate, Maybe combination ?

  • oldelsey
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2004
      Gday Folks,Anyone out there have an Opinion on this?

      Ken
    • Lindsay Williams
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2004
        I usually do gin essence but recently have tried soaking rum and
        whiskey chips. The rum and whiskey certainly come out of the chips.
        With both I have experimented with adding the normal amount of essence
        and, though I am no expert taster, they taste quite good. But then I
        may be biased! I guess you just have to try these things yourself and
        experiment. I just used 100ml lots so it is not expensive to trial
        recipes. And if all else fails, re-distill it!

        Cheers,
        Lindsay.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "oldelsey"
        <merlingraphics@b...> wrote:

        > Gday Folks,Anyone out there have an Opinion on this?
        >
        > Ken
      • pthoma_nz
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2004
          <merlingraphics@b...> wrote:

          > Gday Folks,Anyone out there have an Opinion on this?
          >
          > Ken

          Yup ....both...

          Homedistiller.org has some good recipes. The bourbon recipe there
          uses 3 essences, and two chip types. Make a whiskey using half
          sachet of essence and add chips for at least 2 months. Also add
          other things, pepper, sherry, juniper berries dependant on spirit
          type, to lift your product above what comes from a packet. Also be
          aware that you get different flavours from chip at different abv %.