Oat Mash

  • mrplace01
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 30, 2004
      I have a quick question, I started a two gallon wash with oats and a
      tad of sugar to run in my pot still. I added distillers yeast and
      two tablespoons of nutrient. I boiled the oats in to almost a paste
      texture and added the remaining water/sugar to bring to two gallons
      (according to a recipe someone gave me). This was placed in a 3
      gallon food grade container.

      I started the wash this afternoon, and it has about 5-6 inches of
      foam on the top now. My question is, can I remove the foam from the
      top with out altering the wash or ruining it?

      Thanks.
    • waljaco
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 30, 2004
        What is the source of enzymes to convert the starches in oats to
        fermentable sugars? Rolled (flaked) oats don't need boiling - they
        are already pre-gelatinized.
        wal
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mrplace01" <mrplace01@y...>
        wrote:

        > I have a quick question, I started a two gallon wash with oats and
        > tad of sugar to run in my pot still. I added distillers yeast and
        > two tablespoons of nutrient. I boiled the oats in to almost a paste
        > texture and added the remaining water/sugar to bring to two gallons
        > (according to a recipe someone gave me). This was placed in a 3
        > gallon food grade container.
        >
        > I started the wash this afternoon, and it has about 5-6 inches of
        > foam on the top now. My question is, can I remove the foam from the
        > top with out altering the wash or ruining it?
        >
        > Thanks.
      • mrplace01
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 30, 2004
          I used rolled oats.

          I was under the impression that cooking starch in a water slurry is
          one of the best methods of preparing for hydrolysis (the breaking
          down of the starches to sugars) of the starch chain.

          IS this correct or did I miss something? This would be my first run
          with anything other than a sugar/water wash.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@h...>
          wrote:

          > What is the source of enzymes to convert the starches in oats to
          > fermentable sugars? Rolled (flaked) oats don't need boiling - they
          > are already pre-gelatinized.
          > wal
          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mrplace01"
          <mrplace01@y...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > I have a quick question, I started a two gallon wash with oats
          and
          > > tad of sugar to run in my pot still. I added distillers yeast
          and
          > > two tablespoons of nutrient. I boiled the oats in to almost a
          paste
          > > texture and added the remaining water/sugar to bring to two
          gallons
          > > (according to a recipe someone gave me). This was placed in a 3
          > > gallon food grade container.
          > >
          > > I started the wash this afternoon, and it has about 5-6 inches
          of
          > > foam on the top now. My question is, can I remove the foam from
          the
          > > top with out altering the wash or ruining it?
          > >
          > > Thanks.
        • waljaco
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 31, 2004
            You need some background reading -