More Pot Still Ramblings ...

  • George B.
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2004
      Hi, all, and once again thanks for the input re: my pot still.
      The more I think on it, the more I hope I am figuring it out.
      I changed the condenser tonight to a style more like what
      I think most of you are using,... the straight tube with
      water jacket. I think the worm I designed would be fine for
      use on a large capacity still with a large enough amount
      of wash to have a decent alcohol content, but I think it is
      waay too long a worm for my little unit distilling a small
      quantity of wash to begin with. My thought is that a 1 litre
      wash of 6% alcohol = 1 shot glass of nearly pure alcohol.
      Obviously, then a 25 litre wash of 6% alcohol would equal
      25 shot glasses of nearly pure alcohol. I haven't measured
      to see how much liquid a 1/4" i.d. X 20' long worm will
      hold, but I'd bet it is more than 1 shot glass. If anywhere
      in those coils I had even a slight uphill climb, that might
      explain why my 1 shot glass of alcohol never made it to
      the end of it. I am now supposing that a good rule of
      thumb would be small still/short worm, large still/long
      worm. The simplest way, though, I am beginning to think,
      is to just use a straight tube condenser, and forget about
      the worm in the first place. The only real reason I decided
      to use a worm was to conserve on cooling water, anyway.
      Now I conclude that a pump and reservoir recirculation
      system, perhaps employing icewater for the cooling of a
      water jacket type condenser would accomplish the same
      thing. Thanks again - George