Re: [new_distillers] Re: Crossflow Condenser question for Harry

  • Andrew Forsberg
    Message 1 of 27 , Oct 28, 2004
      > Whatever is running down the walls is already very high in alcohol
      > content and said alc. will re-vaporize as soon as it gets to the
      > proper temperature zone in the column. Vapor expands far more than
      > the volume it inhabited as a liquid, so it will be forced right
      > through into the packing. This will leave the water content to
      > continue on down, and the alc. vapors to mingle once more with the
      > upcoming vapors from the boiler, thus enriching the delivery further
      > up.

      It is my understanding that the descending liquid sacrificially enriches
      the ascending vapour once for each theoretical plate. By traveling down
      the column walls the vapour gets to interact less with the liquid, and
      so the column becomes less effective.

      But explaining in detail the theory behind this I leave to the Mikes and
      Johans of this world. :)

      Cheers
      Andrew