hi guys i am a newbee to this group

  • leeham@tpg.com.au
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 17, 2000
      wow this is great i have found a group for distillers

      and Tony i have to thank u for your excellent web page
      bravo to you plenty of info there

      well a little about me
      i have been distilling about 3 years now started out brewing beer
      and then a mate showed me something he had built a still
      so i said i can do that and started building

      but i just used a big alloy boiler with a domed lid and a
      simple pot still head made from copper pipe and a simple water jacket
      around it about 10l or 2 gallons all up or so
      and stuck it on the kitchen stove
      well the wife soon chucked me out of the kitchen the smell got to her
      haha
      well i found a small hot plate and went outside (perfect!!!)

      i used all spirts unlimited yeasts carbon etc
      then the local hombrew shop started selling the 5l or 1 gallon
      spirtsunlimited pot still that just pluged in
      well i got one of those but it was to small haha

      so i pulled out the heater and stuck it in a 15l \ 3 gallon pot
      and reattached the lid
      now i was cooking
      now i have bought the books linked from your page
      and downloaded the free stuff heer and there
      and am looking at building a reflux
      i usally only make whiskey but somtimes do some kalua or contro
      for somthing diff
      but find it hard to get rid of some smell from the pot still
      evan after to carbon treatments
      i have a 12l 3 gallon wood ked i finish the whiskey in and a few
      gallons on oak chips in glass

      one of my questions is with your reflux still how long does it take
      to cook say 20l 5 gallons of wash if u have
      a 20 literstill??? it takes me 6hrs to do my 2 batches of 15l making
      30 l of wash in my pot using electricty
      1 other question
      i use spirts unlimted yeast but have tried using bakers yeast and
      sugar
      but it would not work have u tried bakers yeast because some
      web pages say you can but it does not work for me
      it brewed but it would not cook out so i dumped it
      (waste of sugar dam it)
      sorry about the long post
      regards leeham