Rye wort naturally fermented, Need help !

  • ryanv75
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2004
      I cooked about 5 kg of rye malt in about 15l of water and raised
      the temp to about 142 for about 30 mins. I was using a sparging bag
      and the grains got extremely sticky. A huge amount of water was
      reatined in the grains, which i left tied above the collection bucket
      overnight. I collected about 1g of rye wort. Left it in the fermenter
      until i figurered out what to do, and i moved it into a 1g jug with
      an airlock. Without adding any yeast it seemed to have fermented. It
      has now been about 4 weeks and there is a clear white yeast cake at
      the bottom of the wort. I have a couple questions : Should I taste it?
      , 2 : would it be usable , and ifso , for what , 3 is the best way
      to cook rye malt straight in the cooker then strain into fermenter
      and sparge the grains ?

      Thanks in advance, R.