Re: looking for better % in reflux still

  • popwahtosh
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 11, 2004
      Leaving a still unattended, especially at such a critical time is a
      very dangerous practice. Do me a favor and be more careful.

      Pop

      ------------
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, David W Lunsford
      <maxtonnage@e...> wrote:
      > I am not as knowledgeable (?) as Harry, but in one meter, you
      should have
      > room for a lot more scrubbers....I stuffed 17 into a 40 inch(2")
      column and

      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 11, 2004
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bikiboose" <bikiboose@y...>
        wrote:
        <snip>

        > by the way, any tips on toasting oak? Thanks again.
        >
        > boose

        Hi Boose,
        There's lots of info re toasting on Tony's site and in the archives.

        However, here's one that I don't think anyone has seen before (I
        purloined it from the Patents Office ;-) ).

        <extract>
        Any suitable oak wood pieces preferably from American or French
        white oak can be used to produce toasted oak chips. In one preferred
        embodiment, American oak chips were used which were obtained as a by-
        product of wooden barrel production by the Blue Grass Cooperage
        Company, Louisville, Ky. These chips were derived from the heart-
        wood and not sap-wood of the white oak stave, which Blue Grass is
        using to make American white oak barrels.

        The dimensions of the oak chips (also referred to herein
        as "chips"), prior to toasting, range from about 1 to about 4 mm in
        length, about 1 to about 2 mm in width and about 0.1 to about 0.5 mm
        in depth. Preferably, the ranges are about 3.5 mm length, by about 2
        mm in width and about 0.4 mm in depth. Chips of these
        characteristics can be obtained from any known method of chipping
        either oak staves or scraps of oak wood to provide the particular
        chip dimensions required for toasting.

        It was found that toasting chips smaller than 1 mm by 1 mm by 0.1 mm
        may cause a fire in the toasting equipment, such as a toasting oven.
        In order to increase the desirable flavor components in the chips,
        the chips are toasted in the presence of hot air at about 204 to
        about 288.degree. C., preferably about 240 to about 282.degree. C.,
        more preferably about 240 to about 271.degree. C., and most
        preferably about 240 to about 250.degree. C. The higher the
        temperature, the darker the color and more caramel flavor notes are
        produced. Toasting at higher temperatures may cause periodic flame-
        ups in the oven. The length of time of the toasting step ranges from
        about 1 to about 10 minutes, preferably from about 2 to about 10
        minutes, and more preferably about 2 to about 5 minutes. Toasting of
        chips can be accomplished by any suitable means for raising surface
        temperature to that specified above, such as infrared heating,
        direct fire toasting or hot air toasting. Preferably the chips are
        toasted in a hot air fluidized bed. Other oxygen containing gases
        may also be used to toast the chips, providing that surface toasting
        of the chips would occur under the conditions described above.

        In one embodiment, oak chips having length of about 3.5 mm, width of
        about 2 mm and depth of about 0.4 mm are toasted at about
        263.degree. C. in a fluidized bed for about 3 minutes. In a
        preferred embodiment, oak chips having length of about 31/2 mm,
        width of about 2 mm and depth of about 0.4 mm are toasted of
        246.degree. C. in a hot air fluidized bed for about 4 minutes.

        The color of the toasted oak chips ranges from a very light toast to
        medium to a dark toast. A medium to dark toast is preferred.

        The toasted chips can then be further processed if desired. They can
        be ground using any suitable grinder, such as a pin mill grinder,
        that would produce a uniform particle size of a minimum 30% on a USS
        16 mesh screen and a maximum of 3% through a USS 60 mesh screen.
        Both the ground and unground products (i.e., toasted oak chips)
        perform equally well. The ground product (or material) is easier to
        clean up, whereas the large chips may occasionally bridge around the
        discharge opening where the chips are removed from the vessel used
        to make the oak aged alcoholic products, such as a tank.

        </extract>

        HTH
      • Lebbo
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 20, 2004
          I still can't work out how come my little column still produces 93%, it's only real short and am getting the same results as some of
          these huge setups....
          I use ceramic raschig (sp?) rings as my packing..... *shrug*

          _____

          I am not as knowledgeable (?) as Harry, but in one meter, you should have
          room for a lot more scrubbers....I stuffed 17 into a 40 inch(2") column and
          got 93 % on first run, although I have lengthened my column to 58", and am
          going to insert more scrubbers....Its all in how you do it....Dave

          At 10:10 PM 10/10/04 -0000, you wrote:

          >Hello all,
          >
          >In my last post I was directed to the awesome site -homedistiller.
          >Thanks for this tip, it has helped tremendously. Now, I was told
          >that due to the fact I was running my reflux still w/o packing the
          >column, 45-50% was expected. So I packed the column with s/s
          >potscrubbers (6) and ran again and only got 65%. I was hoping for
          >85-95 for a good neutral spirit. Any tips to raise the percentage?
          >(info on the still --1m x 2 in column, on 15.5 gal keg heated with
          >propane.) Do I need to lengthen my column? I can do this if it will
          >help.
          >
          >And final question, I am making a rum wash now, do I need to keep
          >the % to about 65% to keep it rum and not loose the flavors? or is
          >65% too high too?
          >
          >thanks for the help
          >
          >boose

          >Yahoo! Groups Links