No-Mash-Whisky!

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 7, 2004
      Interesting method. Found in the British patents office.

      The present invention provides a process for the production of malt
      whisky in which the spirit yield is typically improved by 4 to 9%
      compared with conventional processes and less starch and sugars
      remain at the end of fermentation step. The resulting spirit has a
      distinctive and characteristic organoleptic character. Samples
      produced according to the process of the present invention were
      described by sensory panellists as having a more green and biscuit-
      like character than spirit produced by conventional processes.

      The process of the present invention results in a reduction in
      mashing times, saving typically 8 hours in the cycle time. There are
      also additional energy savings, since no hot water is required for
      mashing. The process is environmentally friendly since it reduces
      reliance on cooling towers and cooling water disposal. An unexpected
      corollary of having husks and spent grains present during the
      initial distillation is that the distillation mixture is less likely
      to froth over in the pot stills.

      I've uploaded the full process description into the Files here...
      Whisky.rtf

    • Kim Walker
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 8, 2004
        I gather from reading the file that because heat is not used, the
        conversion takes place gradually and continuously over the 4 days of
        fermentation instead of all at once as in a heated mash...... never the
        less.... complete conversion does take place .... I wonder if it would
        be easy to filter before distilling???? Would the mash be as thick and
        soupy without the heated mash process???... anyone ever tried this on
        on his/her own in a small batch.... who will be the first brave one???

        Kim