Re: Newbie looking for some answers

  • bluejakeditto
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 6, 2004
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bikiboose" <bikiboose@y...>
      wrote:

      > Hello all,
      > I have been reading the posts here for a few days and hoped to get
      > some answers. While I found some, I guess I need to ask to get the
      > others.
      >
      > I have ran a few batches through my still. (I got the plans on the
      > internet out of the book "how to make pure corn wiskey" I changed
      > the plans though and made the boiler out of a beer keg and heat
      with
      > a propane burner) I cant seem to get close to getting all the
      > alcohol content out of the mash. I was wondering how hot you
      should
      > let the still head get. I read in the book about 80-85 degrees.
      > but this seems to only get half the content out. Also I am running
      > with the column not packed and am only getting about 95 proof (when
      > all are combined)
      >
      > next I would like some recipes. I made my first batch out of flaked
      > wheat and the second out of corn meal. I am about to make more
      from
      > flaked maize. I cant seem to find any good recipes or directions
      > other than the book mentioned above. I am sure I am just not
      > looking in the right place (I would LOVE to make rum--is molassess
      > from a feed store ok?)
      >
      > Thanks for your collective time and answers!
      >
      > boose

      boose:

      I have not (yet) distilled a grain mash but have now run about 10
      sugar washes and found the following:

      In order to get all of the alcohol out of your boiler you will need
      to get the temperature (liquid of the boiler)up to around 99 -100 C
      with some slight variances due to elevation, pressure, etc.
      Depending on the length of your column, insulation, etc., (and if you
      are not "packing" the column) you will loose a couple degrees up the
      column. If you are cutting off before the temperature of the liquid
      reaches 98 - 99C, you are leaving some good alcohol behind.

      If you are packing the column and refluxing heavy, the temperature at
      the top may be as little as 78.5 C and you will have already
      recovered all of your useable alcohol.

      Roy
    • Scott Petrinec
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 6, 2004
        Yes...feed store molassess is fine.
        here are some recipes and some info on using molassess.
        http://www.homedistiller.org/wash-sugar.htm#molasses

        wrote:
        > I am sure I am just not looking in the right place (I would LOVE to
        > make rum--is molassess from a feed store ok?)
        >
        > Thanks for your collective time and answers!
        >
        > boose
        boose try searching here too

        http://www.taet.com.au/distillers.nsf

        http://www.taet.com.au/ndistillers.nsf

        all new members should save these two sites in there favorites
        they are a duplicate of this forum with better search capabilities

        BR

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT