Re: Newbie looking for some answers

  • bradr36
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 6, 2004
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bikiboose" <bikiboose@y...>
      wrote:
      > I am sure I am just not looking in the right place (I would LOVE to
      > make rum--is molassess from a feed store ok?)
      >
      > Thanks for your collective time and answers!
      >
      > boose
      boose try searching here too

      http://www.taet.com.au/distillers.nsf

      http://www.taet.com.au/ndistillers.nsf

      all new members should save these two sites in there favorites
      they are a duplicate of this forum with better search capabilities

      BR
    • bluejakeditto
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 6, 2004
        wrote:

        > Hello all,
        > I have been reading the posts here for a few days and hoped to get
        > some answers. While I found some, I guess I need to ask to get the
        > others.
        >
        > I have ran a few batches through my still. (I got the plans on the
        > internet out of the book "how to make pure corn wiskey" I changed
        > the plans though and made the boiler out of a beer keg and heat
        with
        > a propane burner) I cant seem to get close to getting all the
        > alcohol content out of the mash. I was wondering how hot you
        should
        > let the still head get. I read in the book about 80-85 degrees.
        > but this seems to only get half the content out. Also I am running
        > with the column not packed and am only getting about 95 proof (when
        > all are combined)
        >
        > next I would like some recipes. I made my first batch out of flaked
        > wheat and the second out of corn meal. I am about to make more
        from
        > flaked maize. I cant seem to find any good recipes or directions
        > other than the book mentioned above. I am sure I am just not
        > looking in the right place (I would LOVE to make rum--is molassess
        > from a feed store ok?)
        >
        > Thanks for your collective time and answers!
        >
        > boose

        boose:

        I have not (yet) distilled a grain mash but have now run about 10
        sugar washes and found the following:

        In order to get all of the alcohol out of your boiler you will need
        to get the temperature (liquid of the boiler)up to around 99 -100 C
        with some slight variances due to elevation, pressure, etc.
        Depending on the length of your column, insulation, etc., (and if you
        are not "packing" the column) you will loose a couple degrees up the
        column. If you are cutting off before the temperature of the liquid
        reaches 98 - 99C, you are leaving some good alcohol behind.

        If you are packing the column and refluxing heavy, the temperature at
        the top may be as little as 78.5 C and you will have already
        recovered all of your useable alcohol.

        Roy
      • Scott Petrinec
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 6, 2004
          Yes...feed store molassess is fine.
          here are some recipes and some info on using molassess.
          http://www.homedistiller.org/wash-sugar.htm#molasses

          wrote:
          > I am sure I am just not looking in the right place (I would LOVE to
          > make rum--is molassess from a feed store ok?)
          >
          > Thanks for your collective time and answers!
          >
          > boose
          boose try searching here too

          http://www.taet.com.au/distillers.nsf

          http://www.taet.com.au/ndistillers.nsf

          all new members should save these two sites in there favorites
          they are a duplicate of this forum with better search capabilities

          BR

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT