Re: [new_distillers] Newbie looking for some answers

  • Scott Petrinec
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 6, 2004
      Hey. I got the amswers to all your questions. www.homedistiller.org Has tons of recipes and information about reflux columns. There is also a message forum there that I'm sure you will love.
      If you are running a column,but with no reflux...then 95 proof is about right. remember...if your wash is 10%abv and you have a 12 gallon batch, and IF your still was getting 100%accuracy(which it won't do) then you would produce 4.56 Liters. Since it is producing at 48%(96 proof), You should have gotten 9.5 Liters of 96 proof(if the wash was 10%abv) from a 12 gallon wash. If it is whiskey that you are making, you shouldn't need a column...a potstill head would be the best thing to use. Again, you can find information about this (and more) at the site listed above.

      bikiboose <bikiboose@...> wrote:

      Hello all,
      I have been reading the posts here for a few days and hoped to get
      some answers. While I found some, I guess I need to ask to get the
      others.

      I have ran a few batches through my still. (I got the plans on the
      internet out of the book "how to make pure corn wiskey" I changed
      the plans though and made the boiler out of a beer keg and heat with
      a propane burner) I cant seem to get close to getting all the
      alcohol content out of the mash. I was wondering how hot you should
      let the still head get. I read in the book about 80-85 degrees.
      but this seems to only get half the content out. Also I am running
      with the column not packed and am only getting about 95 proof (when
      all are combined)

      next I would like some recipes. I made my first batch out of flaked
      wheat and the second out of corn meal. I am about to make more from
      flaked maize. I cant seem to find any good recipes or directions
      other than the book mentioned above. I am sure I am just not
      looking in the right place (I would LOVE to make rum--is molassess
      from a feed store ok?)

      Thanks for your collective time and answers!

      boose

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • bradr36
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 6, 2004
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bikiboose" <bikiboose@y...>
        wrote:
        > I am sure I am just not looking in the right place (I would LOVE to
        > make rum--is molassess from a feed store ok?)
        >
        > Thanks for your collective time and answers!
        >
        > boose
        boose try searching here too

        http://www.taet.com.au/distillers.nsf

        http://www.taet.com.au/ndistillers.nsf

        all new members should save these two sites in there favorites
        they are a duplicate of this forum with better search capabilities

        BR
      • bluejakeditto
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 6, 2004
          wrote:

          > Hello all,
          > I have been reading the posts here for a few days and hoped to get
          > some answers. While I found some, I guess I need to ask to get the
          > others.
          >
          > I have ran a few batches through my still. (I got the plans on the
          > internet out of the book "how to make pure corn wiskey" I changed
          > the plans though and made the boiler out of a beer keg and heat
          with
          > a propane burner) I cant seem to get close to getting all the
          > alcohol content out of the mash. I was wondering how hot you
          should
          > let the still head get. I read in the book about 80-85 degrees.
          > but this seems to only get half the content out. Also I am running
          > with the column not packed and am only getting about 95 proof (when
          > all are combined)
          >
          > next I would like some recipes. I made my first batch out of flaked
          > wheat and the second out of corn meal. I am about to make more
          from
          > flaked maize. I cant seem to find any good recipes or directions
          > other than the book mentioned above. I am sure I am just not
          > looking in the right place (I would LOVE to make rum--is molassess
          > from a feed store ok?)
          >
          > Thanks for your collective time and answers!
          >
          > boose

          boose:

          I have not (yet) distilled a grain mash but have now run about 10
          sugar washes and found the following:

          In order to get all of the alcohol out of your boiler you will need
          to get the temperature (liquid of the boiler)up to around 99 -100 C
          with some slight variances due to elevation, pressure, etc.
          Depending on the length of your column, insulation, etc., (and if you
          are not "packing" the column) you will loose a couple degrees up the
          column. If you are cutting off before the temperature of the liquid
          reaches 98 - 99C, you are leaving some good alcohol behind.

          If you are packing the column and refluxing heavy, the temperature at
          the top may be as little as 78.5 C and you will have already
          recovered all of your useable alcohol.

          Roy
        • Scott Petrinec
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 6, 2004
            Yes...feed store molassess is fine.
            here are some recipes and some info on using molassess.
            http://www.homedistiller.org/wash-sugar.htm#molasses