Re: [new_distillers] 2 condensers?

  • BOKAKOB
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 5, 2004
      Considering that you would have a sufficient power and cooling sources, your system would run faster and would deplete all alcohol in the mash sooner. However, much heat may scorch the mash.
      You probably could achieve almost the same effect by increasing the heat input and making your condenser longer. Vapors would run inside your tubing faster (thus greater throughoutput) and mightier condenser would still handle the load.

      Whatever I wrote above is my subjective opinion
      There are no warranties of any kind
      Act on your own risk and finally...
      I can be wrong I must say
      Cheers, Alex...

    • pthoma_nz
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 2004
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Snowblind Moose"
        <tonkay1@y...> wrote:

        > I just had a crazy thought - if I hooked 2 lyne arms and
        condensers
        > to my pot still, would I be able to double the speed of the
        output?
        > or would I have to turn the temperature up higher to accomodate
        the
        > second condenser and in effect be pushing the mash too quick?
        >
        > S. M.

        Good idea, but been done....
        Check out photos/twin towers. I'd love to set up my valved reflux
        like this...

        peet
      • popwahtosh
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 2004
          <tonkay1@y...> wrote:

          > I just had a crazy thought - if I hooked 2 lyne arms and
          condensers
          > to my pot still, would I be able to double the speed of the
          output?
          > or would I have to turn the temperature up higher to accomodate
          the
          > second condenser and in effect be pushing the mash too quick?
          >
          > S. M.

          =============
          That's not entirely a crazy Idea. I have designed a still with two
          condensers and just this week have completed construction. My design
          incorperates a stripper head plus a reflux column with a n/s offset
          head.They can work independently or the stripper head can serve as a
          back up condenser if the condenser coil in the n/s head for some
          unknown reason can no longer handle the vapors. The excess vapors is
          automaticly transfered from one to the other via a vapor recovery
          manifold. You can switch from one system to the other while the unit
          is in full operation if you wish. The reason for this design was for
          the convienience of having two stills operate from a common boiler.
          However, safety was a high priority when designing it. It is all
          hard plumbed with no hoses dangling around on it. It is perfectly
          balance to minimize tipping over. Before bolting the flang to the
          boiler, the entire unit would stand perfectly balanced on the 7
          inch flang without tetering unless given a tiny push. A preliminary
          run with a batch of cheap wine indicated it does everything it is
          designed to do. I cranked up the heat to overload the coil condenser
          and in a short time it began to transfer vapor to the liebig. I plan
          to conduct a battery of test in the near future and will post the
          results along with pictures. I don't claim this to be a
          revolutionary earth shacking break through in still design. But,
          since this is my first still to build, I'm very pleased with myself.

          Pop
        • Ackland, Tony (CALBRIS)
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 6, 2004
            > I just had a crazy thought - if I hooked 2 lyne arms and condensers
            > to my pot still, would I be able to double the speed of the output?
            > or would I have to turn the temperature up higher to accomodate the
            > second condenser and in effect be pushing the mash too quick?

            Without increasing the amount of heat, it wont go any faster.
            To collect more distillate you need more vapour, hence more energy input.
            The temperature of the liquid & vapour wont go any higher - thats determined by its alcohol content, but yes you may get more scorching if the surface temperature of the element or base of the pot is being heated to a higher temp.

            Tony

            NOTICE

            This e-mail and any attachments are private and confidential and
            may contain privileged information.

            If you are not an authorised recipient, the copying or distribution
            of this e-mail and any attachments is prohibited and you must not
            read, print or act in reliance on this e-mail or attachments.

            This notice should not be removed.