Re: Needle valves

  • boilerbaz
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 2, 2004
      Hi Teuchter,

      Yep, needle valves are not the sort of thing you can pick up at B+Q.

      Needle valves are not only used for Gas and you can buy them without
      a Corgi license. Whoever told you you needed a corgi license was
      talking bollocks!

      If a supplier ever asks why you want a strange valve type, or large
      diameter copper tube and fittings, tell them you are buying the parts
      for your brother who is a miniature steam train enthusiast and he is
      building his first model steam engine ;-)

      I don't use needle valves because I've only ever built Vapour
      management heads, which can use simple, easy to find ball or gate
      valves. Have you thought about building a VM head it's easy and gives
      realy good results.

      Anyway, try doing a Google search for Hydraulic valves etc this might
      do the trick.

      Regards,

      Baz.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "teuchter12" <ladymuck@m...>
      wrote:
      > Boilerbaz as your in uk could you tell me if you know of a supplier
      > for needle valves. Tried every where no joy. I would need a corgi
      > gas fitters cert,to buy them they tell me.
      > Hope you can suggest where I can get them.
      > Hopefully yours teuchter
    • teuchter12
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 2, 2004
        Thanks baz for your reply.
        Two Plumbers merchents told me why the could not sell me the valves,
        have tried hydraulic and pneumatic suppliers only have ball valves.
        Thanks again I will keep trying.
        teuchter
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 2, 2004
          wrote:

          > Thanks baz for your reply.
          > Two Plumbers merchents told me why the could not sell me the
          valves,
          > have tried hydraulic and pneumatic suppliers only have ball valves.
          > Thanks again I will keep trying.
          > teuchter

          http://www.wessingtoncryogenics.co.uk/Spares.htm

          http://www.ckgas.com/Diaphragm-Needle-Valves.html

          HTH
        • teuchter12
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 3, 2004
            Thanks for the help Harry, will try them tomorrow.
            teuchter
          • boilerbaz
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 4, 2004
              Hi teuchter,

              I tend to keep away from plumbers merchants, especially the type that
              have you stand at a counter and ask them for parts. (remember that
              old 'two Ronnies' sketch - "faw kaanduls" :-D

              I get my parts from the big DIY superstores, where I can stand there
              for hours looking like a total plonker, whilst I imagine how it will
              all fit together, lovingly fingering a large selection of ball valves
              and coils of small diameter pipe. "Hhhmmmm..Ten Mil coil" ;-)

              See ya mate ;-)

              wrote:

              > Thanks baz for your reply.
              > Two Plumbers merchents told me why the could not sell me the valves,
              > have tried hydraulic and pneumatic suppliers only have ball valves.
              > Thanks again I will keep trying.
              > teuchter
            • Philip Vernon
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 14, 2007
                Hi group,
                Trying to locate a suitable needle valve for a Nixon stone head in Melbourne
                Australia. If anyone knows of a place it would be much appreciated as all my
                leads are gone.
                Thanks heaps
                Phil
                --
              • Robert N
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 15, 2007

                  Phil try Enzed hose doctor’s they do hydraulic hose repairs and have outlets all over the place. Failing that try plumbing stores. Keep trying you could also do a search of the forum as I remember others in the past asking this question from Melbourne .

                  Yours in Spirit

                  Robert

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 15, 2007
                    Enzed carry quality stainless needle valves made by Parker in the USA.

                    Needle valves come in different degrees of flow control, depending on the needle-seat
                    angle. Ask for the finest flow control version.

                    The part number for the 1/4" fine control version, with compression fittings is:

                    4A-V4LN-SS.

                    They are around $100, but top quality, and you shouldn't ever need to replace them.

                    CAUTION: Close off the fine control versions gently so you don't distort the needle point
                    and degrade the integrity of the needle-seat seal. Do not wind them down hard into the
                    seat. The needle and seat only need to just contact to seal properly.

                    Product details are at:

                    http://www.controlandpower.com/catalog/html/
                    parker_instrumentation_valves.htm#Needle_Valves

                    Cheers
                  • Andrew Bugal

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 15, 2007
                        Needle valves are available from ACE Hardware International USA. THEY cost a few dollars.

                        Philip Vernon <phil@...> wrote:
                        Hi group,
                        Trying to locate a suitable needle valve for a Nixon stone head in Melbourne
                        Australia. If anyone knows of a place it would be much appreciated as all my
                        leads are gone.
                        Thanks heaps
                        Phil
                        --

                        Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger .yahoo.com

                        Regards
                        Joe

                      • stevolate
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 16, 2007
                          Hi Phill
                          Thease guys normaly have them in stock

                          Norden Hydraulic Connections
                          Hose, Fittings & Adaptors
                          60- 62 Bennet St Dandenong 3175
                          03) 9793 2515

                          Happy drinking

                          Stevo

                          > Hi group,
                          > Trying to locate a suitable needle valve for a Nixon stone head in
                          Melbourne
                          > Australia. If anyone knows of a place it would be much appreciated
                          as all my
                          > leads are gone.
                          > Thanks heaps
                          > Phil
                          > --

                        • Murphy-Marsh, Leigh
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 17, 2007
                            Philip Vernon <phil@...> wrote:
                            Hi group,
                            Trying to locate a suitable needle valve for a Nixon stone head in
                            Melbourne
                            Australia. If anyone knows of a place it would be much appreciated as
                            all my
                            leads are gone.
                            Thanks heaps
                            Phil