Re: making a still for grappa

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2004
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Campbell"
      <acpfoto@a...> wrote:
      > Hi folks,
      >
      > I am a long time brewer and winemaker. I would like to explore the
      distilled
      > world. I have many grape pressings a would hate to see the go to
      waste. I
      > must get back to my other side, the SwissItalian in me. If anyone
      has a good
      > example or reference of a still that could be created easiy and
      relatively
      > inexpensively I would appreciate any help.
      >
      > Thanks ....Alan
      >
      > I love the smell of fermentation in the morning!!

      <Robert Duvall voice>
      Smells like.....Victory!
      </Robert Duvall voice>
      No wait....that was Apocalypse Now. :-))

      Seriously, Hi Alan,
      If you're up for some reading, then check out Tony's site. Most of
      what you want to know is there...
      http://homedistiller.org

      Good info on fruit processes here..
      Click on Artisan Distilling

    • ddgravelle@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2004
        Alan,

        I'm looking for a receipt to make grappa. Would you have one that you could
        share? If not, can you point me in a direction?

        Cheers,

        Dan

      • waljaco
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2004
          Grape pomace (vinaccia) contains about 5%abv for red grapes and about
          1/2 that amount for white grapes. So you are dealing with large
          volumes of low alcohol material. Not fun. Also the normal practice is
          to add 50% water to the pomace for ease of distilling. There is also
          the danger of scorching the pomace. The most rustic way to prevent
          this is to put vine cuttings on the bottom of your boiler. You could
          also have a perforated plate, a double boiler or just inject steam
          into the pomace. I suggest a more practical method for the
          homedistiller is to reconstitute the wine must, by adding sugar and
          water and then distill the clear wash as if making brandy -
          Grappa

          ciao,
          uaglio