Getting there

  • distiller@mafudesigns.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 16, 2001
      Hi again everyone,

      I've been finishing off the still, and have decided not to get the
      lid domed - as such, I got the 2" stainless socket welded to the lid
      of the s/s drum. I took some photos with the digital camera, and
      here they are.

      The still all together. It stands 2.05 meters all up, bottom of drum
      to top of condenser.

      How it all collapses down into pieces.

      .jpg
      Where the socket is welded to the boiler, and the column screwed in.

      Inside the pot - you can see the hole above where the socket is
      welded, and the stainless steel rod across the hole to keep the
      scrubbers in. The rod is 4mm s/s, and spot welded either side of the
      inside of the lid over the hole.

      pg
      How the head gets screwed onto the boiler for use as a pot still ot
      beer stripper.

      Thats all for now - I'm waiting on the elements to turn up, and then
      all I have to so is finish the condenser, and then away we go!

      Matt
    • Matt
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 20, 2001
        On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 08:49:07AM -0000, distiller@... wrote:

        > Thats all for now - I'm waiting on the elements to turn up, and then
        > all I have to so is finish the condenser, and then away we go!
        >
        > Matt

        hey Matt this is Matt :) Nice photos of your work, thanks for uploading.
        What sort of elements will you be using? Will you be using a rheostat or
        some sort of throttle on them? and are you using more than one, if so what
        will the placement be like in the boiler? please keep us updated..thanks!

        Matthew @ psibercom
      • distiller@mafudesigns.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 20, 2001
          > hey Matt this is Matt :) Nice photos of your work, thanks for
          uploading.

          Thanks Matt!

          > What sort of elements will you be using?

          I've ordered two 1380 watt replacement elements - the circular style
          ones for the kiwi still. Do you know the ones I mean?

          > Will you be using a rheostat or
          > some sort of throttle on them?

          Not at this stage - I plan to use both for boil up, and one (maybe
          both depending) for the run. If I have problems with this, I may
          consider some kind of control unit later on - but for now, the Keep
          It Simple Stupid motto is applying to me!

          > and are you using more than one, if so what
          > will the placement be like in the boiler?

          Good question.... I'll wait till I get them, and see just how big
          they actually are, and then work out where they will get mounted.
          I'm in two minds at the moment - It might be nice to mount them on
          opposing sides of the boiler, but it would also be nice to have all
          the electrics on one side. What do other people think? And how high
          above the base should they be mounted? I was think 75 - 100mm, so
          there is a good volume below and above the element?

          > please keep us updated..thanks!

          I think you can count on that!

          Matt
        • Tony & Elle Ackland
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 20, 2001
            Matt,

            In my old "Still Spirits" (plastic body) still the element is approx 30 mm
            off the base. This is a good thing, as it means that I can often do small
            runs (eg the honey mead was only 19 stubbies = 7L ), rather than always
            needing some large amount.

            Tony