making a still for grappa

  • Alan Campbell
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2004
      Hi folks,

      I am a long time brewer and winemaker. I would like to explore the distilled
      world. I have many grape pressings a would hate to see the go to waste. I
      must get back to my other side, the SwissItalian in me. If anyone has a good
      example or reference of a still that could be created easiy and relatively
      inexpensively I would appreciate any help.

      Thanks ....Alan

      I love the smell of fermentation in the morning!!
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2004
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Campbell"
        <acpfoto@a...> wrote:
        > Hi folks,
        >
        > I am a long time brewer and winemaker. I would like to explore the
        distilled
        > world. I have many grape pressings a would hate to see the go to
        waste. I
        > must get back to my other side, the SwissItalian in me. If anyone
        has a good
        > example or reference of a still that could be created easiy and
        relatively
        > inexpensively I would appreciate any help.
        >
        > Thanks ....Alan
        >
        > I love the smell of fermentation in the morning!!

        <Robert Duvall voice>
        Smells like.....Victory!
        </Robert Duvall voice>
        No wait....that was Apocalypse Now. :-))

        Seriously, Hi Alan,
        If you're up for some reading, then check out Tony's site. Most of
        what you want to know is there...
        http://homedistiller.org

        Good info on fruit processes here..
        Click on Artisan Distilling

      • ddgravelle@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2004
          Alan,

          I'm looking for a receipt to make grappa. Would you have one that you could
          share? If not, can you point me in a direction?

          Cheers,

          Dan

        • waljaco
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 3, 2004
            Grape pomace (vinaccia) contains about 5%abv for red grapes and about
            1/2 that amount for white grapes. So you are dealing with large
            volumes of low alcohol material. Not fun. Also the normal practice is
            to add 50% water to the pomace for ease of distilling. There is also
            the danger of scorching the pomace. The most rustic way to prevent
            this is to put vine cuttings on the bottom of your boiler. You could
            also have a perforated plate, a double boiler or just inject steam
            into the pomace. I suggest a more practical method for the
            homedistiller is to reconstitute the wine must, by adding sugar and
            water and then distill the clear wash as if making brandy -
            Grappa

            ciao,
            uaglio