Re: Getting the best from your wash ?

  • fizzynick@yahoo.co.uk
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 14, 2001
      Thanks for all those really great tips.

      So, when it comes to heating a wash, is there a maximum temperature
      that I should make sure I keep below ?
    • Tony & Elle Ackland
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 14, 2001
        > So, when it comes to heating a wash, is there a maximum temperature
        > that I should make sure I keep below ?

        Yeah - aim for below 25C (77F)
        See http://homedistiller.org/ferment.htm#temp for more details

        Tony
      • al lewis
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 15, 2001
          Hi an aquarium heater will do the job fine also. al

          >From: Tony & Elle Ackland <Tony.Ackland@...>
          >To: 'New Distillers newsgroup' <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: RE: [new_distillers] Re: Getting the best from your wash ?
          >Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 17:36:37 +1300
          >
          > > So, when it comes to heating a wash, is there a maximum temperature
          > > that I should make sure I keep below ?
          >
          >Yeah - aim for below 25C (77F)
          >See http://homedistiller.org/ferment.htm#temp for more details
          >
          >Tony

        • klcampbell
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 15, 2001
            Sorry Tony, 25C is too low for a lot of real distillers yeasts,like the ones
            that are used by the commercial distilleries where time is money and a wash
            usually takes 4-5 days to complete,O K,they use filtration before
            distillation but we can learn a lot regarding max. temps. that you can work
            with.
            My friendly purveyor of all things fermentable is one of the suppliers of
            good non turbo style distillers yeasts and I will endeavour to get names and
            numbers to post ASAP.Regards,Ken.
            > > So, when it comes to heating a wash, is there a maximum temperature
            > > that I should make sure I keep below ?
            >
            > Yeah - aim for below 25C (77F)
            > See http://homedistiller.org/ferment.htm#temp for more details
            >
            > Tony

          • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 15, 2001
              Ken,

              The optimum temperature will depend on a number of factors, including the
              alcohol content, and the sugar concentration.

              From Chapt 2 of "The Alcohol Textbook" ..
              "The optimum
              temperature of fermentation when fermenting
              with yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) is 32 o C
              and the optimum temperature of reproduction
              for the yeast is 28 o C. It can also be seen (in Figure
              2) that without adequate cooling, a fermenter
              set at 32 o C would inevitably increase in
              temperature. Every degree in temperature above
              32 o C will have a tendency to depress fermen-
              tation, as the yeast cannot handle these higher
              temperatures. Furthermore, the increase in
              temperature favors the growth of lactobacilli, the
              microorganism that competes with yeast for
              glucose."

              I'd suggest that this advice is applicable mostly for the short fermentation
              times that you refer to when fermenting the typical washes targetting around
              10-12% alcohol.

              But in Chapter 5 ...
              ".. It was also seen that the time required
              to complete fermentation decreased with
              increases in temperature from 17-33°C. The
              optimum temperature for fermentation in VHG
              mashes was found to be 27°C (Wang et al.,
              1999a; Jones and Ingledew, 1994b). This is
              significantly below the temperatures used in
              industry at sugar levels of approximately 23° Brix,
              but higher than the 20°C used in much of our
              earlier research...."

              The VHG refers to Very High Gravity washes - eg the typical sugar water ones
              that we make, using 0.25 to 0.35 g/L

              This ties in with the comments from my page (I think they were based from
              stuff in the "Spirits Unlimited book) ...

              " Yeast is a living organism, and will die if too stressed. Both alcohol and
              temperature stress it. With no alcohol around, it won't die until about 40
              °C. At 14% alcohol, it will die at 33 °C, and at 25 °C if in 20% alcohol. So
              keep it below 25 °C at ALL times. Lower temperatures will also result in
              less volitiles. When the temperature has been kept below 30 °C the
              production of fusel oils is minimal, and is extremely small if kept below a
              maximum of 25 °C. This is where you get into a bit of a trade-off; if you
              keep it too cool, it will take heaps longer, with greater time for the risk
              of infection etc to set in. At 25 °C, it will take 3 days to ferment 0.24
              kg/L sugar, but at 15 °C it will take nearly 2 weeks."

              So in simple summary - yeah hotter is ok (27-30C), provided that you're
              targetting a lower % alcohol. But if you're going to stress the yeast with
              high sugar content initially, and then high alcohol content later on, keep
              it cool (25C).

              The other reason for playing slightly on the cooler side, is incase you get
              too much temperature rise due to the heat given off during fermentation
              (sometimes up to 5C with the vigorous yeasts) Many of us heat the wash, but
              would have trouble cooling it in a controlled manner.

              Tony
            • J.zitek
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 16, 2001
                hi fizz
                if electricity and water scares you,try a candle or breathe on it.While electric blankets are safe-lots of people use them-
                you cold try a heat tape. That gives you about 8 watts of heat per foot of tape, you can get them in any lenth.
                Keep warm,
                Jay
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 27, 2001
                  Sorry Mate,things got rather hectic at work and I have had trouble getting
                  my mind into gear some nights,now the yeast that I have been using is from
                  "D.C.L.Yeast and it is branded "SAF-DISTIL.B-28".

                  My friendly purveyor of all things fermentable also supplies a nutrient
                  package which helps it work.
                  Probably the usual stuff,I'm a toolmaker not a chemist but it seems to work
                  .I believe that D.C.L. have a web site in England but I have never had a
                  look,hoping this helps,Regards,Ken.
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 28, 2001
                    There web site is www.dclyeast.co.uk. I couldn't find the product
                    listed and I am awaiting their response to my e-mail for product
                    details

                    I will post their reply

                    regards
                    Ron

                    --- In new_distillers@y..., Tim Walters <trwalters@m...> wrote:
                    > Ken wrote:
                    >
                    > the yeast that I have been using is from D.C.L.Yeast and it is
                    branded
                    > "SAF-DISTIL.B-28".
                  • Matt
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 29, 2001
                      On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 01:50:35PM -0000, slacker75@... wrote:
                      > Do you electricaly heat your wash while fermenting, or is the heat
                      > generated enough? I haven't gotten around to fermenting anything
                      > yet, and was wondering if I could just sling it in a big bucket and
                      > insulate it? Would it stay warm enough if kept in a room with an
                      > ambient temp of about 22C?

                      It's a bit of an expense compared to a DIY job of parts you might find
                      lying around but the "Brewbelt" is a nice gizmo..it's a heating strap that
                      plugs into an AC wall outlet. You wrap it around your fermentation vessel
                      and it keeps it at about 75F... this unit is also made for the UK/Euro
                      market.

                      Matthew @ psibercom
                    • fizzynick@yahoo.co.uk
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 30, 2001