Hi

  • mrsvetsare
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 23, 2004
      I have get some photos at my cotruktions I make
      I have more if you want to see,
      the name is at photos= mrsvetsare
    • stevolate
      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 23, 2004
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mrsvetsare" <snagels@s...>
        wrote:
        > I have get some photos at my cotruktions I make
        > I have more if you want to see,
        > the name is at photos= mrsvetsare

        Hi
        Can you explain where condenser in second photo goes.
        A photo with more detail would be great.

        Stevo
      • Mel
        Message 3 of 29 , Dec 3, 2004
          Our leader has spoken.

          > Please read the attached file.

          Mel
        • Mike Nixon
          Message 4 of 29 , Dec 3, 2004
            Mel wrote:
            Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: Hi

            Our leader has spoken.

            > Please read the attached file.

            Mel
            ================
            Sorry Mel. What file? It's my understanding that attachments to posts are
            no longer possible, but should be put in the Files section for reference.

            Always eager to hear the utterances of Our Leader!

            All the best,
            Mike N
          • Mel
            Message 5 of 29 , Dec 3, 2004
              Mike our leader has no control of his own computer and I don't think he ever
              has.

              The guy who started it all has no clue.

              Mel
            • Mike Nixon
              Message 6 of 29 , Dec 3, 2004

                ==========================
                Mel wrote:

                Mike our leader has no control of his own computer and I don't think he ever
                has.

                The guy who started it all has no clue.

                Mel
                =========================
                Hi Mel,

                I'm sorry, but I'm still in the dark about what you are talking about.

                All the best,
                Mike N

              • Mel
                Message 7 of 29 , Dec 3, 2004
                  There was no attached file, it was probably infected with a virus, and Yahoo
                  took care of it, it was a sarcastic comment, most of TOPKIWI's posts are
                  bogus or have file attachments that don't get thru, or whatever, the guy who
                  stated this list sucks at managing his own computer, am I the only one who
                  sees this.

                  Mel

                  Message 8 of 29 , Dec 3, 2004
                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mel" <robinson4724@r...>
                    wrote:
                    > There was no attached file, it was probably infected with a virus,
                    and Yahoo
                    > took care of it, it was a sarcastic comment, most of TOPKIWI's
                    posts are
                    > bogus or have file attachments that don't get thru, or whatever,
                    the guy who
                    > stated this list sucks at managing his own computer, am I the only
                    one who
                    > sees this.
                    >
                    > Mel

                    Oh, for heaven's sake! We've been over this again and again. Check
                    the full headers of the offending post. trace the true origin. I't
                    NOT FROM DES! It's a forgery. I even posted one forgery myself as
                    a demonstration of how easy it is. Go here..
                    http://www.taet.com.au/distillers.nsf
                    Do a search on topkiwi (49 posts). You'll find the one I wrote.
                    THESE ARE FORGERIES!!!!!
                    AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO SEES THIS!!!!!

                    Not naming names, but its coincidental that they show up when a
                    certain someone whom I suspect is pissed at the world. Can't prove
                    it yet, but if I do....

                  • Mel
                    Message 9 of 29 , Dec 3, 2004
                      Fuck you Harry!

                      Message 10 of 29 , Dec 3, 2004
                        wrote:
                        > Fuck you Harry!

                        Not likely, Mel. You ain't got enough money! :-)

                      • Mel
                        Message 11 of 29 , Dec 3, 2004
                          Harry, this list is not managed well and hasn't been for some time. What
                          goes on here does not go on in any other group I belong to. that's PERIOD.

                          Mel
                          > wrote:
                          > > Fuck you Harry!
                          >

                          > Not likely, Mel. You ain't got enough money! :-)
                          >
                          > Slainte!
                          > regards Harry

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Andrew Forsberg
                          Message 12 of 29 , Dec 3, 2004
                            Hi Mel,

                            <quote>
                            Harry, this list is not managed well and hasn't been for some time. What
                            > goes on here does not go on in any other group I belong to. that's
                            > PERIOD.
                            </quote>

                            <quote>
                            > Andrew I know how things work.
                            >
                            > OK.
                            </quote>

                            Righto then, I'll take you at your word.

                            First, let's look at the cause of the problem -- members with infected
                            email clients. How do you suppose a moderator deals with those less than
                            technically competent members who open attachments from complete
                            strangers? Hmmm? Tricky one that, innit? He can't. Especially when those
                            who think they 'know how things work' accuse people falsely of spreading
                            viruses. But let's just let that one go for now.

                            Second question -- and bare in mind that Harry has already restricted
                            attachments being sent to the list members -- what control can he have
                            over yahoo.com's email routing? I mean, ffs, they won't even give an
                            honest answer to the pic resizing problem for galleries. What response
                            do you think the moderator of a free group service is going to get from
                            yahoo when he asks them to fix their frikken open relay mail system?

                            a) Aww, shucks, sorry about that sir. I'll fix that right away.
                            b) For a premium product consider upgrading to our _______ service.
                            c) F-off.

                            The only other option open to him via yahoo is to approve EVERY post
                            before it is sent to the list, and that's just bloody silly...

                            Give the guy a break already... Sheesh.

                            Cheers
                            Andrew
                            Message 13 of 29 , Dec 3, 2004
                              wrote:
                              > Harry, this list is not managed well and hasn't been for some
                              time. What
                              > goes on here does not go on in any other group I belong to. that's
                              PERIOD.

                              Mel, you've been trying for 6 months in both groups to get me to do
                              things your way. I've previously trialled it, and given my reasons
                              why it doesn't work. I even offered to give you the chance to help
                              with the post vetting, which you promptly declined. The majority of
                              your posts are nothing but complaints and criticisms. So here's the
                              deal. If you don't like it kindly piss off. In fact, I'll do like
                              you suggested in post no. 11112 way back in 17/May.

                              <quote>
                              Harry if you just moderate new members until they make a post that is
                              relevent to the group, there would be no spam getting on this list.
                              </quote>

                              You're not new, but until you make a post that's relevant to
                              distilling, and not just whining, you are on Moderated status. And
                              yes, that is censorship, and I don't give a rat's ass!

                              So much for your comment about 'being a brother'. msg # 12594
                              10/Nov
                            • Rana Pipiens
                              Message 14 of 29 , Dec 4, 2004
                                Thanks Harry. Now maybe we can get back to arguing about something interesting like no cook washes or sugar babies verses grain hogs. Rana

                                wrote:
                                > Harry, this list is not managed well and hasn't been for some
                                time. What
                                > goes on here does not go on in any other group I belong to. that's
                                PERIOD.

                                Mel, you've been trying for 6 months in both groups to get me to do
                                things your way. I've previously trialled it, and given my reasons
                                why it doesn't work. I even offered to give you the chance to help
                                with the post vetting, which you promptly declined. The majority of
                                your posts are nothing but complaints and criticisms. So here's the
                                deal. If you don't like it kindly piss off. In fact, I'll do like
                                you suggested in post no. 11112 way back in 17/May.

                                <quote>
                                Harry if you just moderate new members until they make a post that is
                                relevent to the group, there would be no spam getting on this list.
                                </quote>

                                You're not new, but until you make a post that's relevant to
                                distilling, and not just whining, you are on Moderated status. And
                                yes, that is censorship, and I don't give a rat's ass!

                                So much for your comment about 'being a brother'. msg # 12594
                                10/Nov

                                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                              • popwahtosh
                                Message 15 of 29 , Dec 4, 2004
                                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mel" <robinson4724@r...>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > > There was no attached file, it was probably infected with a
                                  virus,
                                  > and Yahoo
                                  > > took care of it, it was a sarcastic comment, most of TOPKIWI's
                                  > posts are
                                  > > bogus or have file attachments that don't get thru, or whatever,
                                  > the guy who
                                  > > stated this list sucks at managing his own computer, am I the
                                  only
                                  > one who
                                  > > sees this.
                                  > >
                                  > > Mel
                                  >

                                  > Oh, for heaven's sake! We've been over this again and again.
                                  Check
                                  > the full headers of the offending post. trace the true origin.
                                  I't
                                  > NOT FROM DES! It's a forgery. I even posted one forgery myself as
                                  > a demonstration of how easy it is. Go here..
                                  > http://www.taet.com.au/distillers.nsf
                                  > Do a search on topkiwi (49 posts). You'll find the one I wrote.
                                  > THESE ARE FORGERIES!!!!!
                                  > AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO SEES THIS!!!!!
                                  >

                                  > Not naming names, but its coincidental that they show up when a
                                  > certain someone whom I suspect is pissed at the world. Can't prove
                                  > it yet, but if I do....
                                  >
                                  > Slainte!
                                  > regards Harry

                                  Way to go, Harry! You held out a lot longer than I would have!

                                  Pop
                                • Ken Harding
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Dec 5, 2004
                                    Hey Mel ,Keep taking the medication or maybe increase the dose ! your making
                                    an Arse of yourself.
                                    Ken.
                                    >> > There was no attached file, it was probably infected with a virus,
                                    >> and Yahoo
                                    >> > took care of it, it was a sarcastic comment, most of TOPKIWI's
                                    >> posts are
                                    >> > bogus or have file attachments that don't get thru, or whatever,
                                    >> the guy who
                                    >> > stated this list sucks at managing his own computer, am I the only
                                    >> one who
                                    >> > sees this.
                                    >> >
                                    >> > Mel
                                    >>

                                    >> Oh, for heaven's sake! We've been over this again and again. Check
                                    >> the full headers of the offending post. trace the true origin. I't
                                    >> NOT FROM DES! It's a forgery. I even posted one forgery myself as
                                    >> a demonstration of how easy it is. Go here..
                                    >> http://www.taet.com.au/distillers.nsf
                                    >> Do a search on topkiwi (49 posts). You'll find the one I wrote.
                                    >> THESE ARE FORGERIES!!!!!
                                    >> AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO SEES THIS!!!!!
                                    >>

                                    >> Not naming names, but its coincidental that they show up when a
                                    >> certain someone whom I suspect is pissed at the world. Can't prove
                                    >> it yet, but if I do....
                                    >>
                                    >> Slainte!
                                    >> regards Harry

                                    >> FAQ and other information available at http://homedistiller.org
                                    >>

                                    >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  • BestDecker
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Dec 5, 2004
                                      Thank-You Harry

                                      wrote:
                                      > Harry, this list is not managed well and hasn't been for some
                                      time. What
                                      > goes on here does not go on in any other group I belong to. that's
                                      PERIOD.

                                      Mel, you've been trying for 6 months in both groups to get me to do
                                      things your way. I've previously trialled it, and given my reasons
                                      why it doesn't work. I even offered to give you the chance to help
                                      with the post vetting, which you promptly declined. The majority of
                                      your posts are nothing but complaints and criticisms. So here's the
                                      deal. If you don't like it kindly piss off. In fact, I'll do like
                                      you suggested in post no. 11112 way back in 17/May.

                                      Harry if you just moderate new members until they make a post that is
                                      relevent to the group, there would be no spam getting on this list.

                                      You're not new, but until you make a post that's relevant to
                                      distilling, and not just whining, you are on Moderated status. And
                                      yes, that is censorship, and I don't give a rat's ass!

                                      So much for your comment about 'being a brother'. msg # 12594
                                      10/Nov

                                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                                      I'd read so much on the evil's of drinking....that I quit reading.......

                                    • frogger2542000
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Aug 31, 2009
                                        I have a little knowledge of the distillation process, and was chatting with a friend and trying to explain the process, and he suggested i add couple of quarts of Isopropyl alcohol to my wash to get a better yeild, wel i have heard of people in the years past drinking alcohol from the drug store and not going to that happy hunting ground, want to ask any and all about RE-Distilling ispropyl alcohol, and whats the affects if any, all answers will be appreciated.. thanks george
                                      • KM Services
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Aug 31, 2009

                                          George,

                                          mmmmm… this rubbing alcohol and you have to understand that we achieve to produce SAFE drinkable alcohol by preparing good mashes and washs, just adding “Alcohol” of any sort is potentially dangerous in my opinion. Mate read up and stick to the basics of good distilling practice …see attached about Isopropyl alcohol

                                          Ken Mc

                                          Moderator :  Y! new_distillers    Y! Distillers

                                          Forums Info:  FAQ    Policy    Settings

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Aug 31, 2009

                                             Forgot to attach the link……http://tinyurl.com/mylu5c

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Aug 31, 2009

                                              Hello George,

                                              As Ken stated, you have to be very careful what your adding to your washes or anything your going to distill.  Now - Isopropyl alcohol is not quite as deadly as drinking methanol, since it is oxidized by the liver into acetone.  NOT formaldayde the way methanol is oxidized by the liver.  This is what causes blindness and death and what gave our great hobby the bad image during the old "Moonshine" days during Prohibition...

                                              However, there is no way in hell you should add Isopropyl alcohol  to anything your going to drink.  First off, propanol-1 and propanol-2 (which is what Isopropyl alcohol is)  are contained in minute quantities in what we call the tails of a distillation.  This chit is never drank straight - it is either re-added to a nother distillation or partially mixed in your final cuts, depending on what your making.  Again - there is no way in hell you should add a couple of quarts of this stuff to your fermentation to "increase yield", unless you want to end up with the worse hangover, headache and feel like total chit the next morning.  The effects of Isopropyl alcohol are as follows:

                                              Toxicology

                                              Isopropyl alcohol is oxidized by the liver into acetone by alcohol dehydrogenase. Symptoms of isopropyl alcohol poisoning include flushing, headache, dizziness, CNS depression, nausea, vomiting, anesthesia, and coma. Use in well-ventilated areas and use protective gloves while using. Poisoning can occur from ingestion, inhalation, or absorption.

                                              Isopropyl alcohol is about twice as toxic as ethanol, and acts as a central nervous system (CNS) depressant. Its metabolite, acetone, is a CNS depressant in its own right. Around 15 g of isopropanol can have a toxic effect on a 70 kg human if left untreated. However, it is not nearly as toxic as methanol or ethylene glycol.[8] Isopropyl alcohol does not cause an anion gap acidosis (in which as lowered blood serum pH causes depletion of bicarbonate anion) as do ethanol and methanol. Isopropyl alcohol does, however, produce an osmolal gap between the calculated and measured osmolalities of serum, as do the other alcohols. Overdoses may cause a fruity odor on the breath as a result of its metabolism to acetone, which is not further metabolized.[9]

                                              (Wikipedia)

                                              Now George, if your going to get serious about this hobby, then please start doing some homework and read up on the "proper" methods.  A good place to start would be Tony Ackland's Homedistillers site at: http://www.homedistiller.org/

                                              Please do some reading and then feel free to ask any questions you want.

                                              Welcome Aboard and ABOVE ALL - BE SAFE.

                                              Vino es Veritas,

                                              Jim aka Waldo (another Moderator)

                                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "KM Services" <km_services@...> wrote:

                                              > Forgot to attach the link..http://tinyurl.com/mylu5c

                                            • jazzdoren2k3
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Aug 31, 2009
                                                Besides all the negative health effects...since yeast dies upon reaching a specific alcohol level, wouldn't it actually be anti-effective to increase the alcohol level of a mash? You'd be killing off your yeast early...right?

                                                I've been meaning to ask - on a side note - the angel blasting procedure of aerating after distillation...is that done to the final product from the still, or do I dilute it first? Also, I've got a standard air compressor for filling tires and running pneumatic devices...is there any simple way of adapting a tip to it to achieve the angel blasting effect?

                                                --Mad Hatter

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Aug 31, 2009

                                                  I believe his intention was to add it to the wash prior to distilling, which we all agree is dangerous…that said…George if you want yield get a high yield turbo turbo like “power 23”and some monosaccharide (Dextrose) follow the instructions to the letter control the temperature, use a turbo clearing agent then strip and redistill if you want high yield. The alcohol will need to be carbon filtered as may have some tastes due to the aggressive yeasts….

                                                  Ken Mc (This is my opinion and if I am wrong I will be corrected I am sure)

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Aug 31, 2009
                                                    Mad Hatter,

                                                    You can "blast angels" before or after dilution, with one minor caveat. While reducing the concentrations of the lighter, more offensive, fractions, angel blasting also reduces the ethanol concentration slightly. Depending on how long and hard you blast, your ABV will decrease by a couple of percent, so allow for that.

                                                    As for using a standard air compressor, I'd be *very* reluctant. Most shop compressors have a lot of oil vapors in the air, and that will add motor oil to your delicate spirit (look at what comes out when you drain the air tank). I'd use a 120V (thanks, Mason) airbed pump from Wal-Mart, if you're in the US. The tip is just 3/8" copper tube with a lot of holes drilled in the side, and the end pinched shut.

                                                    You can modulate the amount of air blown (it can be a lot) by holding a hand partly over the air intake hole in the pump.

                                                    Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                                                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jazzdoren2k3" <jazzvandoren@...> wrote:

                                                    ----snip----

                                                    > I've been meaning to ask - on a side note - the angel blasting procedure of aerating after distillation...is that done to the final product from the still, or do I dilute it first? Also, I've got a standard air compressor for filling tires and running pneumatic devices...is there any simple way of adapting a tip to it to achieve the angel blasting effect?
                                                    >
                                                    > --Mad Hatter

                                                    ----snip----
                                                  • KM Services
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Aug 31, 2009

                                                      Even simper still is the use of blender! Usually I will carbon filter my grog to the required strength and then give it 10 minutes in the blender prior to bottling or storing. If flavouring will put essence in at this stage and give it a good wizz. As Bob has said you will loose a percent or two so allow for that

                                                      Ken Mc (This is my opinion and if I am wrong I will be corrected I am sure)

                                                      You can "blast angels" before or after dilution, with one minor caveat. While reducing the concentrations of the lighter, more offensive, fractions, angel blasting also reduces the ethanol concentration slightly. Depending on how long and hard you blast, your ABV will decrease by a couple of percent, so allow for that.

                                                      As for using a standard air compressor, I'd be *very* reluctant. Most shop compressors have a lot of oil vapors in the air, and that will add motor oil to your delicate spirit (look at what comes out when you drain the air tank). I'd use a 120V (thanks, Mason) airbed pump from Wal-Mart, if you're in the US . The tip is just 3/8" copper tube with a lot of holes drilled in the side, and the end pinched shut.

                                                      You can modulate the amount of air blown (it can be a lot) by holding a hand partly over the air intake hole in the pump.

                                                      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                                                      --- In new_distillers@ yahoogroups. com, "jazzdoren2k3" <jazzvandoren@ ...> wrote:

                                                      ----snip----

                                                      > I've been meaning to ask - on a side note - the angel blasting procedure
                                                      of aerating after distillation. ..is that done to the final product from the still, or do I dilute it first? Also, I've got a standard air compressor for filling tires and running pneumatic devices...is there any simple way of adapting a tip to it to achieve the angel blasting effect?

                                                      > --Mad Hatter

                                                      ----snip----

                                                    • jazzdoren2k3
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Sep 1, 2009
                                                        Geez, I feel so stupid. I've read the term airbed in so many posts about the angel blasting and kept thinking "airbed" pump was something else for the aquarium. Finally it dawned on me - we're talking about the "oversized raft" commonly used in camping...or on my bunk in my rig!! Now I know exactly what we're talking about. My question now becomes - I know the output nozzle is approximately 3/4" on the battery powered pump we have on the truck...what do you recommend for reducing that to the 3/8" that you said I should use on the copper tubing?

                                                        I know I saw someone say 10 minutes if doing it in a blender -- how long should I do it with the airbed pump? Since it's said that it will reduce the ABV, I was thinking (and correct me if I'm wrong in my thoughts) to angel blast an undiluted product, then measure the ABV and dilute down from there...?

                                                        Thanks for the clarifications. I needed an excuse to buy one of those pumps anyways!

                                                        --Mad Hatter

                                                        > Mad Hatter,
                                                        >
                                                        > You can "blast angels" before or after dilution, with one minor caveat. While reducing the concentrations of the lighter, more offensive, fractions, angel blasting also reduces the ethanol concentration slightly. Depending on how long and hard you blast, your ABV will decrease by a couple of percent, so allow for that.
                                                        >
                                                        > As for using a standard air compressor, I'd be *very* reluctant. Most shop compressors have a lot of oil vapors in the air, and that will add motor oil to your delicate spirit (look at what comes out when you drain the air tank). I'd use a 120V (thanks, Mason) airbed pump from Wal-Mart, if you're in the US. The tip is just 3/8" copper tube with a lot of holes drilled in the side, and the end pinched shut.
                                                        >
                                                        > You can modulate the amount of air blown (it can be a lot) by holding a hand partly over the air intake hole in the pump.
                                                        >
                                                        > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
                                                        >
                                                        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jazzdoren2k3" <jazzvandoren@> wrote:
                                                        > >
                                                        > ----snip----
                                                        > >
                                                        > > I've been meaning to ask - on a side note - the angel blasting procedure of aerating after distillation...is that done to the final product from the still, or do I dilute it first? Also, I've got a standard air compressor for filling tires and running pneumatic devices...is there any simple way of adapting a tip to it to achieve the angel blasting effect?
                                                        > >
                                                        > > --Mad Hatter
                                                        > >
                                                        > ----snip----

                                                      • tgfoitwoods
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Sep 2, 2009
                                                          Hi Mad Hatter,

                                                          Yup, it's a "raft pump" I've been talking about. Sorry I didn't make that more clear. On my particular pump, a Coleman, there are a couple of plastic adapters that lock into the pump's outlet hole, and one of them is a perfect fit to have standard vinyl hose pushed *inside* the adapter, so snugly it would probably stay without silicone seal. I sealed it anyway.

                                                          I can't tell you the nominal size of that hose, but it fits exactly *over* the 3/8" copper of the wand. I use a hose clamp to secure it there.

                                                          Although I'm still kinda new at angel blasting, I've been using between 5 and 10 minutes. You can smell the hotter, lighter fractions in the vapor blown out of your jug/carboy, and the process really does smooth your spirit. Also, if you later want more smoothing, you can do it again.

                                                          Hope this helps.

                                                          Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                                                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jazzdoren2k3" <jazzvandoren@...> wrote:

                                                          > Geez, I feel so stupid. I've read the term airbed in so many posts about the angel blasting and kept thinking "airbed" pump was something else for the aquarium. Finally it dawned on me - we're talking about the "oversized raft" commonly used in camping...or on my bunk in my rig!! Now I know exactly what we're talking about. My question now becomes - I know the output nozzle is approximately 3/4" on the battery powered pump we have on the truck...what do you recommend for reducing that to the 3/8" that you said I should use on the copper tubing?
                                                          >
                                                          > I know I saw someone say 10 minutes if doing it in a blender -- how long should I do it with the airbed pump? Since it's said that it will reduce the ABV, I was thinking (and correct me if I'm wrong in my thoughts) to angel blast an undiluted product, then measure the ABV and dilute down from there...?
                                                          >
                                                          > Thanks for the clarifications. I needed an excuse to buy one of those pumps anyways!
                                                          >
                                                          > --Mad Hatter
                                                          >
                                                          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tgfoitwoods" <zymurgybob@> wrote:

                                                          ----snip----
                                                        • jazzdoren2k3
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Sep 2, 2009
                                                            Z-Bob...
                                                            That helped a lot, and since I get these forwarded to my e-mail on my phone, I've all day to read and ponder to come up with what I hope will be my final questions about angel blasting before starting the process on Friday...

                                                            Do you blast your spirits before or after you've diluted down to a 40-50% ABV?

                                                            Where did you get the vinyl hose?

                                                            I bought some activated charcoal that is waiting for me at home to filter through. Would/Should I charcoal filter then angel blast, or angel blast, then charcoal filter. I guess this question kinda ties in to the first question since I've been advised to dilute prior to charcoal filtering...

                                                            I do believe these are the last questions I'll come up with about this - and I'm very excited to do it. Even though my first batches were quick ones (turbo yeast -- when I arrive at home tomorrow I'm cooking up my first batch of the MUM to distill next week), the product wasn't terrible. It wasn't GREAT, but it wasn't terrible, so I'm thinking that these two steps will at least improve "not terrible" to "acceptable"...and then when I do them to the MUM wash - then maybe I'll get close to great.

                                                            Thanks again for all your help Z-Bob. It's much appreciated!
                                                            --Mad Hatter

                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Sep 2, 2009
                                                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jazzdoren2k3" <jazzvandoren@...> wrote:

                                                              > Z-Bob...
                                                              > That helped a lot, and since I get these forwarded to my e-mail on my phone, I've all day to read and ponder to come up with what I hope will be my final questions about angel blasting before starting the process on Friday...
                                                              >
                                                              > Do you blast your spirits before or after you've diluted down to a 40-50% ABV?

                                                              Usually at my last concentration in the aging process before the bottling dilution, so 50-55%ABV.

                                                              > Where did you get the vinyl hose?

                                                              Neighborhood hardware store.

                                                              > I bought some activated charcoal that is waiting for me at home to filter through. Would/Should I charcoal filter then angel blast, or angel blast, then charcoal filter. I guess this question kinda ties in to the first question since I've been advised to dilute prior to charcoal filtering...

                                                              As a general rule I don't use charcoal, for 2 reasons. First, most of what I do is "flavored" spirit, whisk(e)ys, brandies, rums, and so on, and charcoal filtering just removes all the flavors I worked so hard to get in my booze. Second, the only unflavored spirit I do is Mason's MUM wash, and that's so clean it doesn't seem to need charcoal, whereas many high-performance yeasts certainly do.

                                                              > I do believe these are the last questions I'll come up with about this - and I'm very excited to do it. Even though my first batches were quick ones (turbo yeast -- when I arrive at home tomorrow I'm cooking up my first batch of the MUM to distill next week), the product wasn't terrible. It wasn't GREAT, but it wasn't terrible, so I'm thinking that these two steps will at least improve "not terrible" to "acceptable"...and then when I do them to the MUM wash - then maybe I'll get close to great.
                                                              >
                                                              > Thanks again for all your help Z-Bob. It's much appreciated!
                                                              > --Mad Hatter

                                                              You are *very* welcome.