Re: nutrients -- aka "supermarket wash"

  • callaghangary
    Message 1 of 50 , Sep 12, 2004
      bokakob,
      sorry bout the stupid question but is there anything i can use other
      than molasses? i cannot find molasses in any of the supermarkets
      i've visited here in oztralia. judging by the recipe i'd imagine its
      an added nutrient perhaps?but maybe not looking at that tom paste. i
      thought it best to ask cause i dont like the idea of wasting all that
      sugar. i can get golden syrup and treacle, any good d'you think?
      i've tried to make up sugar washes like this before but have often
      found they end up having an extremely high proportion of higher
      alcohols. you load them into the still thinking "excellent! booze
      booze and more booze!" but then you get maybe 1ltr drinkable when in
      theory there should be 3ltrs! so anything thats proven... i just need
      bloody molasses!!

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, BOKAKOB <bokakob@y...> wrote:

      > It is not difficult at all to have a decent brew right from your
      friendly supermarket or grocery store. Here is the recipe for
      the "supermarket moonshine." You can re-adjust quantities of the
      recipe according to the volume of your fermenter. Proportions are
      approximate and could be refined later. I did my best converting the
      values without any calculators.

      > The following proportions are exactly what worked well.
      >

      > Basic components for 16-18 liters (4~4.5 gallons) wash are:
      >

      > one bag of white sugar 5LB (2.26kg) @ $2.50
      > one average lemon 1 each @ $0.20
      >

      > rapid rise yeast or bread machine yeast
      > price will vary $0.50~$2.00 $2.00 if you purchase three
      > vacuum packed packets 15~20 gram (2 teaspoons) @ $2.00
      >

      > unsulphured molasses, one 8 oz jar is about $3.00 and
      > it would make at least 8 washes (add more if you after the rum!) 2
      heaping table spoons @ $0.40

      > tomato puree 8 oz can @ $1.50
      >

      > Approximate Total: $6.60
      >

      > This will yield about 1.3 liters of 95% alcohol. I did not try
      pushing this yeast to 14%~15% but theoretically it should ferment one
      and half to twice as much sugar. The advantage of this "supermarket
      wash" is that no mail order company has names and address on the list
      for any official to inquire.

      > From the practical point of view any commercially available packet
      of yeast with nutrients in it already mixed in, will cost you around
      $3.00~$4.50 for the same strength and quantity of alcohol.

      > Procedure:
      >
      > Boil about 2 liters of tap water (1/2 gallon) and dissolve sugar in
      there completely

      > add one squeezed one lemon boiling sugar syrup and let it boil
      covered for 15 minutes

      > top off the hot sugar syrup with coldest possible tap water to
      bring the heat down

      > empty tomato puree and molasses in the warm wash
      >

      > wait/cool until your elbow dipped in the wash does not burn
      (temperature is just right!)

      > sprinkle yeast evenly on the surface of the cooled wash and loosely
      cover it and keep at room temperature

      > mix the wash once or twice daily
      >

      > after about 3~5 days the bubbles will not form anymore and the
      taste should be dry you can distill this wash at this point once,
      twice or better yet triple.

      > That's all folks!
      >

      > OK, I'm trying to make a sugar wash but i don't know what to use as
      nutrients. A bunch of websites just leave it at nutrients and don't
      tell you what they are. So if somebody could tell me what i could
      > use for nutrients that i could buy at the grocery store or that
      aren't hard to get it would be nice.
      hjgghjk569234@y...

      Message 50 of 50 , Apr 30, 2008
        Ya'll might want to start with a Topic Harry and myself discussed
        about yeast nutrients, plant food, Econo-wash and his "666" recipe
        (sign of the devil) was quite an interesting thread. See:
        with reading the rest of the the thread.

        Any other questions regarding using plant food please ask.

        Vino es Veritas,
        Jim.

        Hi Phil, look right above the message # and search box. Type in plant
        food and it will give you the post's Hope this helps
        Greg

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "philip_smithwick"

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gapremodeling@...>