Re: Internal Reflux or Valved Reflux

  • travellerwiz
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 7 7:24 AM
      Thank you very much for the info, it has been a great help. Based on
      what you have provided it looks like I might waste my time switching
      to the Valved reflux. The numbers you have given are almost exactly
      what I'm getting out of the internal reflux.

      600-800ml/hour
      92-95%

      I do have a question for you though.. I seem to be getting more
      product.. I usually take off 4.5-5 liters of product. I disgard 500ml
      of heads and save another 500ml of tails. So I get about 3.5-4.0 of
      clean product(8.75-10 liters of %40). What type of mash are you
      using? You must be using a %14 turbo?

      Again thanks for the info

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pthoma_nz" <pthoma_nz@y...>
      wrote:
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "travellerwiz"
      > <travellerw@u...> wrote:
      > Can anyone tell me what differences I might see. Eg.
      > > Faster speed, less cooling water, easier operation. Also can
      > anyone
      > > who has one of these let me know how it works... I appreciate the
      > > help..
      >
      > I haven't had mine for very long... but have had stills now for
      > couple of years, and now have 4 types. I use same as yours for my
      > gin head...
      >
      > My valved reflux runs on a 50 litre keg but I haven't had more than
      > a 25 litre wash through it yet. Everything through it is pre
      > stripped by my old modded SS reflux which does a strip in less than
      > 4 hours.
      >
      > I allow 30 minutes to stabilise column. Then take heads off slowly
      > over the next hour, about 800 ml.
      > Main comes off at about 600 - 800 ml / hour, about 2.5 litre
      > Tails I close reflux valve and take quickly until 90% or tastes weak
      >
      > I dump heads and keep tails.
      >
      > Probally 6 1/2 - 7 1/2 hours...
      >
      > I have coil inside coil in my condensor, water can trickle out but
      > is pretty hot... pretty much same throughput as my gin head, maybe
      > slightly less.
      >
      > Product abv is about what you get, I can't say I'm getting
      > consistant mains of over 95% yet... peaks at 98% straight from still
      >
      > Hope this helps...
      >
      > peet
    • pthoma_nz
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 7 5:16 PM
        <travellerw@u...> wrote:
        I usually take off 4.5-5 liters of product. I disgard 500ml
        > of heads and save another 500ml of tails. So I get about 3.5-4.0
        of
        > clean product(8.75-10 liters of %40). What type of mash are you
        > using? You must be using a %14 turbo?
        >
        > Again thanks for the info

        I'm playing with my yeasts at the mo, so yes my yields are down...
        getting about 15% or less at mo... :(

        I'm also getting more tails than you... I put that down to poor
        ferments and should be sorted soon....

        peet