Re: Keg Selection

  • drewc66
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 6, 2004
      Gatesbox,

      Thanks for your feedback,

      Do you have any trouble cleaning your keg/kettle with the standard
      valve (2")or did you get the selective sankey option? (4" opening) Do
      you use gas or hotplate for heat source?

      By the way if anyone else uses the selective 4" sankey type keg, I
      would be interested to hear how one fits one's tower to it. (recently
      moved long distance and have few tools on hand)

      Drew

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gatesbox" <gatesbox@y...>
      wrote:
      > I bought my keg from Sabco. I was very pleased, I ordered one
      > cleaned and asked them to remove the valve. It arrived spotless and
      > in virtually new condition. I ordered on of thier used 10 gal euro
      > kegs. The slightly smaller size should handle my 5 gal batches a
      > bit more efficiently than a 15 gal keg, but then I am limited to
      run
      > 5 gal batches. They are more pricey than a junk yard or garage
      sale
      > keg but it they come cherried out. And at this point the old story
      > about boats being a hole in the ground to throw money into rings
      > true for my reflux still. Ahhhh, in the pursuit of science and the
      > thrill of yuppie simple living. If only I could have convinced
      > myself to drink cheap beer and spirits straight from the store ( a
      > little High Life, and some Popov), then my attic would be clean and
      > my closet wouldn't bubble continuously.
      >
      > GB
    • cheeperdrunk
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 6, 2004
        you may find a 4 inch tri clamp connector at ebay just type in the
        word tri clamp

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "drewc66" <drewc66@y...> wrote:
        > Gatesbox,
        >
        > Thanks for your feedback,
        >
        > Do you have any trouble cleaning your keg/kettle with the standard
        > valve (2")or did you get the selective sankey option? (4" opening)
        Do
        > you use gas or hotplate for heat source?
        >
        > By the way if anyone else uses the selective 4" sankey type keg, I
        > would be interested to hear how one fits one's tower to it.
        (recently
        > moved long distance and have few tools on hand)
        >
        > Drew
        >

        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gatesbox" <gatesbox@y...>
        > wrote:
        > > I bought my keg from Sabco. I was very pleased, I ordered one
        > > cleaned and asked them to remove the valve. It arrived spotless
        and
        > > in virtually new condition. I ordered on of thier used 10 gal
        euro
        > > kegs. The slightly smaller size should handle my 5 gal batches a
        > > bit more efficiently than a 15 gal keg, but then I am limited to
        > run
        > > 5 gal batches. They are more pricey than a junk yard or garage
        > sale
        > > keg but it they come cherried out. And at this point the old
        story
        > > about boats being a hole in the ground to throw money into rings
        > > true for my reflux still. Ahhhh, in the pursuit of science and
        the
        > > thrill of yuppie simple living. If only I could have convinced
        > > myself to drink cheap beer and spirits straight from the store (
        > > little High Life, and some Popov), then my attic would be clean
        and
        > > my closet wouldn't bubble continuously.
        > >
        > > GB
      • gatesbox
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 8, 2004

          > Do you have any trouble cleaning your keg/kettle with the standard
          > valve (2")or did you get the selective sankey option? (4" opening)
          Do
          > you use gas or hotplate for heat source?

          This is a project still, I plan to use two water heater elements a
          1,500 watt and a 750 watt (thus having three settings for heating
          without a switch just plug unplug). I plan to use the stainless
          mixing bowl method to join the tower. I have purchased a pricey
          flange but am still thinking about experimenting with making my own
          flange using copper plate/pipe and solder (don't know how well this
          will hold). As for hacking open the keg, this is a touchy issue and
          is the single point which holds me back from completing my little
          project. It is a hell of a noise that rattles from the keg when
          cutting. In my suburban location I am waiting for the right moment
          when mrs. and baby are away. I too am tool challenged and have a
          jig type bimetal saw which takes forever. I just allocated a 4"
          angle grinder with a cutting wheel that I hope will take care of the
          hack job. with the large gaping hole this will provide I dont
          expect any trouble cleaning. The triclam seems like a nice option
          though cleaning, and possible pressure release may be an issure.
          The the ss salad bowl attachment seems to be the common method for
          attaching the column.

          Until I complete this project, I am happy with my stove top pot.
        • myarcadegames.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 10, 2004
            Where'd you pull the heating elements from ?

            How do I get my hands on some ?

            - Chris.

            gatesbox <gatesbox@...> wrote:

            > Do you have any trouble cleaning your keg/kettle with the standard
            > valve (2")or did you get the selective sankey option? (4" opening)
            Do
            > you use gas or hotplate for heat source?

            This is a project still, I plan to use two water heater elements a
            1,500 watt and a 750 watt (thus having three settings for heating
            without a switch just plug unplug). I plan to use the stainless
            mixing bowl method to join the tower. I have purchased a pricey
            flange but am still thinking about experimenting with making my own
            flange using copper plate/pipe and solder (don't know how well this
            will hold). As for hacking open the keg, this is a touchy issue and
            is the single point which holds me back from completing my little
            project. It is a hell of a noise that rattles from the keg when
            cutting. In my suburban location I am waiting for the right moment
            when mrs. and baby are away. I too am tool challenged and have a
            jig type bimetal saw which takes forever. I just allocated a 4"
            angle grinder with a cutting wheel that I hope will take care of the
            hack job. with the large gaping hole this will provide I dont
            expect any trouble cleaning. The triclam seems like a nice option
            though cleaning, and possible pressure release may be an issure.
            The the ss salad bowl attachment seems to be the common method for
            attaching the column.

            Until I complete this project, I am happy with my stove top pot.

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            http://www.myarcadegames.com

            " Your one stop arcade shop "

            sales@...

            admin@...

          • TMR
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 10, 2004
              I use the gas burner on my BBQ. I have a hotplate that works too...but I want to get a more powerful one...1500 watts

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 10, 2004
                Replacement water heater elements are available at I would imagine
                any hardware store. In the US most of them are compatible with 1"
                pipe fittings (I think) So you can either weld a fitting onto your
                keg or use the fitting as a nut to bolt your element directly onto
                the keg. Some elements also have a plate with 4 holes for bolting
                onto keg but this requires more holes in your keg (more possible
                leaks). Don't forget to read posts about providing some kind of
                sight tube for determining liquid level in the keg.

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "myarcadegames.com"