Re: Keg Selection

  • gatesbox
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 5, 2004
      I bought my keg from Sabco. I was very pleased, I ordered one
      cleaned and asked them to remove the valve. It arrived spotless and
      in virtually new condition. I ordered on of thier used 10 gal euro
      kegs. The slightly smaller size should handle my 5 gal batches a
      bit more efficiently than a 15 gal keg, but then I am limited to run
      5 gal batches. They are more pricey than a junk yard or garage sale
      keg but it they come cherried out. And at this point the old story
      about boats being a hole in the ground to throw money into rings
      true for my reflux still. Ahhhh, in the pursuit of science and the
      thrill of yuppie simple living. If only I could have convinced
      myself to drink cheap beer and spirits straight from the store ( a
      little High Life, and some Popov), then my attic would be clean and
      my closet wouldn't bubble continuously.

      GB
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 5, 2004
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gatesbox" <gatesbox@y...>
        wrote:
        <snip>
        If only I could have convinced
        > myself to drink cheap beer and spirits straight from the store ( a
        > little High Life, and some Popov), then my attic would be clean
        and
        > my closet wouldn't bubble continuously.
        >
        > GB

        And you'd be lamenting all the tax money the govt. would be getting
        out of you. :)

        Think of it this way... if you buy 1 bottle of spirits per week,
        ordinary stuff, not top shelf, at AUD $30 a bottle, you spend $1,500
        on booze in a year.

        For that amount you can buy/build a pretty schmik still and
        ingredients, and make all the TOP SHELF liquor your heart desires,
        without the poisons. Plus there's the added bonus of "I did it
        myself" (great party line & chick magnet).

      • Levi Langershank
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 5, 2004
          Is liqour that expensive there or are you buying BIG bottles?....:>)
          Admittedly,I havnt bought commercial liqour in many years but it CANT be
          that expensive here in the US...or can it???...:>)

          >From: "Harry" <gnikomson2000@...>
          >Think of it this way... if you buy 1 bottle of spirits per week,
          >ordinary stuff, not top shelf, at AUD $30 a bottle, you spend $1,500
          >on booze in a year.
          >Slainte!
          >regards Harry

        • Lebbo
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 6, 2004
            Nup, that's about right for the guys here downunder, it's prob an avg.
            Cheap gear is about a lobster ($20) and stuff like Jack is say $35-$40?

            I still like to look at the catalogues to see what other flavours I need to get! 8-)

            _____

            Is liqour that expensive there or are you buying BIG bottles?....:>)
            Admittedly,I havnt bought commercial liqour in many years but it CANT be
            that expensive here in the US...or can it???...:>)

            >From: "Harry" <gnikomson2000@...>
            >Think of it this way... if you buy 1 bottle of spirits per week,
            >ordinary stuff, not top shelf, at AUD $30 a bottle, you spend $1,500
            >on booze in a year.
            >Slainte!
            >regards Harry

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129ejdssf/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=1705041694:HM/EXP=1094540323/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10
            se96mf6/*http://companion.yahoo.com> click here
            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=:HM/A=2128215/rand=844608698>

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • drewc66
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 6, 2004
              Gatesbox,

              Thanks for your feedback,

              Do you have any trouble cleaning your keg/kettle with the standard
              valve (2")or did you get the selective sankey option? (4" opening) Do
              you use gas or hotplate for heat source?

              By the way if anyone else uses the selective 4" sankey type keg, I
              would be interested to hear how one fits one's tower to it. (recently
              moved long distance and have few tools on hand)

              Drew

              wrote:
              > I bought my keg from Sabco. I was very pleased, I ordered one
              > cleaned and asked them to remove the valve. It arrived spotless and
              > in virtually new condition. I ordered on of thier used 10 gal euro
              > kegs. The slightly smaller size should handle my 5 gal batches a
              > bit more efficiently than a 15 gal keg, but then I am limited to
              run
              > 5 gal batches. They are more pricey than a junk yard or garage
              sale
              > keg but it they come cherried out. And at this point the old story
              > about boats being a hole in the ground to throw money into rings
              > true for my reflux still. Ahhhh, in the pursuit of science and the
              > thrill of yuppie simple living. If only I could have convinced
              > myself to drink cheap beer and spirits straight from the store ( a
              > little High Life, and some Popov), then my attic would be clean and
              > my closet wouldn't bubble continuously.
              >
              > GB
            • cheeperdrunk
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 6, 2004
                you may find a 4 inch tri clamp connector at ebay just type in the
                word tri clamp

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "drewc66" <drewc66@y...> wrote:
                > Gatesbox,
                >
                > Thanks for your feedback,
                >
                > Do you have any trouble cleaning your keg/kettle with the standard
                > valve (2")or did you get the selective sankey option? (4" opening)
                Do
                > you use gas or hotplate for heat source?
                >
                > By the way if anyone else uses the selective 4" sankey type keg, I
                > would be interested to hear how one fits one's tower to it.
                (recently
                > moved long distance and have few tools on hand)
                >
                > Drew
                >

                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gatesbox" <gatesbox@y...>
                > wrote:
                > > I bought my keg from Sabco. I was very pleased, I ordered one
                > > cleaned and asked them to remove the valve. It arrived spotless
                and
                > > in virtually new condition. I ordered on of thier used 10 gal
                euro
                > > kegs. The slightly smaller size should handle my 5 gal batches a
                > > bit more efficiently than a 15 gal keg, but then I am limited to
                > run
                > > 5 gal batches. They are more pricey than a junk yard or garage
                > sale
                > > keg but it they come cherried out. And at this point the old
                story
                > > about boats being a hole in the ground to throw money into rings
                > > true for my reflux still. Ahhhh, in the pursuit of science and
                the
                > > thrill of yuppie simple living. If only I could have convinced
                > > myself to drink cheap beer and spirits straight from the store (
                > > little High Life, and some Popov), then my attic would be clean
                and
                > > my closet wouldn't bubble continuously.
                > >
                > > GB
              • gatesbox
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 8, 2004

                  > Do you have any trouble cleaning your keg/kettle with the standard
                  > valve (2")or did you get the selective sankey option? (4" opening)
                  Do
                  > you use gas or hotplate for heat source?

                  This is a project still, I plan to use two water heater elements a
                  1,500 watt and a 750 watt (thus having three settings for heating
                  without a switch just plug unplug). I plan to use the stainless
                  mixing bowl method to join the tower. I have purchased a pricey
                  flange but am still thinking about experimenting with making my own
                  flange using copper plate/pipe and solder (don't know how well this
                  will hold). As for hacking open the keg, this is a touchy issue and
                  is the single point which holds me back from completing my little
                  project. It is a hell of a noise that rattles from the keg when
                  cutting. In my suburban location I am waiting for the right moment
                  when mrs. and baby are away. I too am tool challenged and have a
                  jig type bimetal saw which takes forever. I just allocated a 4"
                  angle grinder with a cutting wheel that I hope will take care of the
                  hack job. with the large gaping hole this will provide I dont
                  expect any trouble cleaning. The triclam seems like a nice option
                  though cleaning, and possible pressure release may be an issure.
                  The the ss salad bowl attachment seems to be the common method for
                  attaching the column.

                  Until I complete this project, I am happy with my stove top pot.
                • myarcadegames.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 10, 2004
                    Where'd you pull the heating elements from ?

                    How do I get my hands on some ?

                    - Chris.

                    gatesbox <gatesbox@...> wrote:

                    > Do you have any trouble cleaning your keg/kettle with the standard
                    > valve (2")or did you get the selective sankey option? (4" opening)
                    Do
                    > you use gas or hotplate for heat source?

                    This is a project still, I plan to use two water heater elements a
                    1,500 watt and a 750 watt (thus having three settings for heating
                    without a switch just plug unplug). I plan to use the stainless
                    mixing bowl method to join the tower. I have purchased a pricey
                    flange but am still thinking about experimenting with making my own
                    flange using copper plate/pipe and solder (don't know how well this
                    will hold). As for hacking open the keg, this is a touchy issue and
                    is the single point which holds me back from completing my little
                    project. It is a hell of a noise that rattles from the keg when
                    cutting. In my suburban location I am waiting for the right moment
                    when mrs. and baby are away. I too am tool challenged and have a
                    jig type bimetal saw which takes forever. I just allocated a 4"
                    angle grinder with a cutting wheel that I hope will take care of the
                    hack job. with the large gaping hole this will provide I dont
                    expect any trouble cleaning. The triclam seems like a nice option
                    though cleaning, and possible pressure release may be an issure.
                    The the ss salad bowl attachment seems to be the common method for
                    attaching the column.

                    Until I complete this project, I am happy with my stove top pot.

                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                    http://www.myarcadegames.com

                    " Your one stop arcade shop "

                    sales@...

                    admin@...

                  • TMR
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 10, 2004
                      I use the gas burner on my BBQ. I have a hotplate that works too...but I want to get a more powerful one...1500 watts

                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 10, 2004
                        Replacement water heater elements are available at I would imagine
                        any hardware store. In the US most of them are compatible with 1"
                        pipe fittings (I think) So you can either weld a fitting onto your
                        keg or use the fitting as a nut to bolt your element directly onto
                        the keg. Some elements also have a plate with 4 holes for bolting
                        onto keg but this requires more holes in your keg (more possible
                        leaks). Don't forget to read posts about providing some kind of
                        sight tube for determining liquid level in the keg.

                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "myarcadegames.com"