RE: [new_distillers] Keg Selection

  • Levi Langershank
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 4, 2004
      I bought a SS,304L,Miller Brewing keg,(made by Firestone) from a fellow on
      EBAY a year or so back...keg is in perfect condition with pressure and about
      a quart of beer still inside...:>)....$32 shipped (USPS) to my door.....keg
      was wrapped in brown paper but everyone at the PO knew exactly what it
      was.....told them I was making a 'stew pot' for family reunions
      etc.......:>)

      >From: "drewc66" <drewc66@...>

      >Hi folks, I'm new to the group and wanted to see if anyone has any
      >opinion on keg selection. I want to have a larger kettle than came
      >with my kit (29.5 quart) and was looking at SABCO industries kegs.
      >Thanks,
      >
      >Drew

    • gatesbox
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 5, 2004
        I bought my keg from Sabco. I was very pleased, I ordered one
        cleaned and asked them to remove the valve. It arrived spotless and
        in virtually new condition. I ordered on of thier used 10 gal euro
        kegs. The slightly smaller size should handle my 5 gal batches a
        bit more efficiently than a 15 gal keg, but then I am limited to run
        5 gal batches. They are more pricey than a junk yard or garage sale
        keg but it they come cherried out. And at this point the old story
        about boats being a hole in the ground to throw money into rings
        true for my reflux still. Ahhhh, in the pursuit of science and the
        thrill of yuppie simple living. If only I could have convinced
        myself to drink cheap beer and spirits straight from the store ( a
        little High Life, and some Popov), then my attic would be clean and
        my closet wouldn't bubble continuously.

        GB
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 5, 2004
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gatesbox" <gatesbox@y...>
          wrote:
          <snip>
          If only I could have convinced
          > myself to drink cheap beer and spirits straight from the store ( a
          > little High Life, and some Popov), then my attic would be clean
          and
          > my closet wouldn't bubble continuously.
          >
          > GB

          And you'd be lamenting all the tax money the govt. would be getting
          out of you. :)

          Think of it this way... if you buy 1 bottle of spirits per week,
          ordinary stuff, not top shelf, at AUD $30 a bottle, you spend $1,500
          on booze in a year.

          For that amount you can buy/build a pretty schmik still and
          ingredients, and make all the TOP SHELF liquor your heart desires,
          without the poisons. Plus there's the added bonus of "I did it
          myself" (great party line & chick magnet).

        • Levi Langershank
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 5, 2004
            Is liqour that expensive there or are you buying BIG bottles?....:>)
            Admittedly,I havnt bought commercial liqour in many years but it CANT be
            that expensive here in the US...or can it???...:>)

            >From: "Harry" <gnikomson2000@...>
            >Think of it this way... if you buy 1 bottle of spirits per week,
            >ordinary stuff, not top shelf, at AUD $30 a bottle, you spend $1,500
            >on booze in a year.
            >Slainte!
            >regards Harry

          • Lebbo
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 6, 2004
              Nup, that's about right for the guys here downunder, it's prob an avg.
              Cheap gear is about a lobster ($20) and stuff like Jack is say $35-$40?

              I still like to look at the catalogues to see what other flavours I need to get! 8-)

              _____

              Is liqour that expensive there or are you buying BIG bottles?....:>)
              Admittedly,I havnt bought commercial liqour in many years but it CANT be
              that expensive here in the US...or can it???...:>)

              >From: "Harry" <gnikomson2000@...>
              >Think of it this way... if you buy 1 bottle of spirits per week,
              >ordinary stuff, not top shelf, at AUD $30 a bottle, you spend $1,500
              >on booze in a year.
              >Slainte!
              >regards Harry

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129ejdssf/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=1705041694:HM/EXP=1094540323/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10
              se96mf6/*http://companion.yahoo.com> click here
              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=:HM/A=2128215/rand=844608698>

              _____

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • drewc66
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 6, 2004
                Gatesbox,

                Thanks for your feedback,

                Do you have any trouble cleaning your keg/kettle with the standard
                valve (2")or did you get the selective sankey option? (4" opening) Do
                you use gas or hotplate for heat source?

                By the way if anyone else uses the selective 4" sankey type keg, I
                would be interested to hear how one fits one's tower to it. (recently
                moved long distance and have few tools on hand)

                Drew

                wrote:
                > I bought my keg from Sabco. I was very pleased, I ordered one
                > cleaned and asked them to remove the valve. It arrived spotless and
                > in virtually new condition. I ordered on of thier used 10 gal euro
                > kegs. The slightly smaller size should handle my 5 gal batches a
                > bit more efficiently than a 15 gal keg, but then I am limited to
                run
                > 5 gal batches. They are more pricey than a junk yard or garage
                sale
                > keg but it they come cherried out. And at this point the old story
                > about boats being a hole in the ground to throw money into rings
                > true for my reflux still. Ahhhh, in the pursuit of science and the
                > thrill of yuppie simple living. If only I could have convinced
                > myself to drink cheap beer and spirits straight from the store ( a
                > little High Life, and some Popov), then my attic would be clean and
                > my closet wouldn't bubble continuously.
                >
                > GB
              • cheeperdrunk
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 6, 2004
                  you may find a 4 inch tri clamp connector at ebay just type in the
                  word tri clamp

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "drewc66" <drewc66@y...> wrote:
                  > Gatesbox,
                  >
                  > Thanks for your feedback,
                  >
                  > Do you have any trouble cleaning your keg/kettle with the standard
                  > valve (2")or did you get the selective sankey option? (4" opening)
                  Do
                  > you use gas or hotplate for heat source?
                  >
                  > By the way if anyone else uses the selective 4" sankey type keg, I
                  > would be interested to hear how one fits one's tower to it.
                  (recently
                  > moved long distance and have few tools on hand)
                  >
                  > Drew
                  >

                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gatesbox" <gatesbox@y...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > I bought my keg from Sabco. I was very pleased, I ordered one
                  > > cleaned and asked them to remove the valve. It arrived spotless
                  and
                  > > in virtually new condition. I ordered on of thier used 10 gal
                  euro
                  > > kegs. The slightly smaller size should handle my 5 gal batches a
                  > > bit more efficiently than a 15 gal keg, but then I am limited to
                  > run
                  > > 5 gal batches. They are more pricey than a junk yard or garage
                  > sale
                  > > keg but it they come cherried out. And at this point the old
                  story
                  > > about boats being a hole in the ground to throw money into rings
                  > > true for my reflux still. Ahhhh, in the pursuit of science and
                  the
                  > > thrill of yuppie simple living. If only I could have convinced
                  > > myself to drink cheap beer and spirits straight from the store (
                  > > little High Life, and some Popov), then my attic would be clean
                  and
                  > > my closet wouldn't bubble continuously.
                  > >
                  > > GB
                • gatesbox
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 8, 2004

                    > Do you have any trouble cleaning your keg/kettle with the standard
                    > valve (2")or did you get the selective sankey option? (4" opening)
                    Do
                    > you use gas or hotplate for heat source?

                    This is a project still, I plan to use two water heater elements a
                    1,500 watt and a 750 watt (thus having three settings for heating
                    without a switch just plug unplug). I plan to use the stainless
                    mixing bowl method to join the tower. I have purchased a pricey
                    flange but am still thinking about experimenting with making my own
                    flange using copper plate/pipe and solder (don't know how well this
                    will hold). As for hacking open the keg, this is a touchy issue and
                    is the single point which holds me back from completing my little
                    project. It is a hell of a noise that rattles from the keg when
                    cutting. In my suburban location I am waiting for the right moment
                    when mrs. and baby are away. I too am tool challenged and have a
                    jig type bimetal saw which takes forever. I just allocated a 4"
                    angle grinder with a cutting wheel that I hope will take care of the
                    hack job. with the large gaping hole this will provide I dont
                    expect any trouble cleaning. The triclam seems like a nice option
                    though cleaning, and possible pressure release may be an issure.
                    The the ss salad bowl attachment seems to be the common method for
                    attaching the column.

                    Until I complete this project, I am happy with my stove top pot.
                  • myarcadegames.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 10, 2004
                      Where'd you pull the heating elements from ?

                      How do I get my hands on some ?

                      - Chris.

                      gatesbox <gatesbox@...> wrote:

                      > Do you have any trouble cleaning your keg/kettle with the standard
                      > valve (2")or did you get the selective sankey option? (4" opening)
                      Do
                      > you use gas or hotplate for heat source?

                      This is a project still, I plan to use two water heater elements a
                      1,500 watt and a 750 watt (thus having three settings for heating
                      without a switch just plug unplug). I plan to use the stainless
                      mixing bowl method to join the tower. I have purchased a pricey
                      flange but am still thinking about experimenting with making my own
                      flange using copper plate/pipe and solder (don't know how well this
                      will hold). As for hacking open the keg, this is a touchy issue and
                      is the single point which holds me back from completing my little
                      project. It is a hell of a noise that rattles from the keg when
                      cutting. In my suburban location I am waiting for the right moment
                      when mrs. and baby are away. I too am tool challenged and have a
                      jig type bimetal saw which takes forever. I just allocated a 4"
                      angle grinder with a cutting wheel that I hope will take care of the
                      hack job. with the large gaping hole this will provide I dont
                      expect any trouble cleaning. The triclam seems like a nice option
                      though cleaning, and possible pressure release may be an issure.
                      The the ss salad bowl attachment seems to be the common method for
                      attaching the column.

                      Until I complete this project, I am happy with my stove top pot.

                      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                      http://www.myarcadegames.com

                      " Your one stop arcade shop "

                      sales@...

                      admin@...

                    • TMR
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 10, 2004
                        I use the gas burner on my BBQ. I have a hotplate that works too...but I want to get a more powerful one...1500 watts

                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 10, 2004
                          Replacement water heater elements are available at I would imagine
                          any hardware store. In the US most of them are compatible with 1"
                          pipe fittings (I think) So you can either weld a fitting onto your
                          keg or use the fitting as a nut to bolt your element directly onto
                          the keg. Some elements also have a plate with 4 holes for bolting
                          onto keg but this requires more holes in your keg (more possible
                          leaks). Don't forget to read posts about providing some kind of
                          sight tube for determining liquid level in the keg.

                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "myarcadegames.com"