Keg Selection

  • drewc66
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 4, 2004
      Hi folks, I'm new to the group and wanted to see if anyone has any
      opinion on keg selection. I want to have a larger kettle than came
      with my kit (29.5 quart) and was looking at SABCO industries kegs.

      If anyone has experience with these, I would appreciate any input.
      Will the 1500W broil king be adequate for a keg kettle?

      Thanks,

      Drew
    • Levi Langershank
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 4, 2004
        I bought a SS,304L,Miller Brewing keg,(made by Firestone) from a fellow on
        EBAY a year or so back...keg is in perfect condition with pressure and about
        a quart of beer still inside...:>)....$32 shipped (USPS) to my door.....keg
        was wrapped in brown paper but everyone at the PO knew exactly what it
        was.....told them I was making a 'stew pot' for family reunions
        etc.......:>)

        >From: "drewc66" <drewc66@...>

        >Hi folks, I'm new to the group and wanted to see if anyone has any
        >opinion on keg selection. I want to have a larger kettle than came
        >with my kit (29.5 quart) and was looking at SABCO industries kegs.
        >Thanks,
        >
        >Drew

      • gatesbox
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 5, 2004
          I bought my keg from Sabco. I was very pleased, I ordered one
          cleaned and asked them to remove the valve. It arrived spotless and
          in virtually new condition. I ordered on of thier used 10 gal euro
          kegs. The slightly smaller size should handle my 5 gal batches a
          bit more efficiently than a 15 gal keg, but then I am limited to run
          5 gal batches. They are more pricey than a junk yard or garage sale
          keg but it they come cherried out. And at this point the old story
          about boats being a hole in the ground to throw money into rings
          true for my reflux still. Ahhhh, in the pursuit of science and the
          thrill of yuppie simple living. If only I could have convinced
          myself to drink cheap beer and spirits straight from the store ( a
          little High Life, and some Popov), then my attic would be clean and
          my closet wouldn't bubble continuously.

          GB
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 5, 2004
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gatesbox" <gatesbox@y...>
            wrote:
            <snip>
            If only I could have convinced
            > myself to drink cheap beer and spirits straight from the store ( a
            > little High Life, and some Popov), then my attic would be clean
            and
            > my closet wouldn't bubble continuously.
            >
            > GB

            And you'd be lamenting all the tax money the govt. would be getting
            out of you. :)

            Think of it this way... if you buy 1 bottle of spirits per week,
            ordinary stuff, not top shelf, at AUD $30 a bottle, you spend $1,500
            on booze in a year.

            For that amount you can buy/build a pretty schmik still and
            ingredients, and make all the TOP SHELF liquor your heart desires,
            without the poisons. Plus there's the added bonus of "I did it
            myself" (great party line & chick magnet).

          • Levi Langershank
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 5, 2004
              Is liqour that expensive there or are you buying BIG bottles?....:>)
              Admittedly,I havnt bought commercial liqour in many years but it CANT be
              that expensive here in the US...or can it???...:>)

              >From: "Harry" <gnikomson2000@...>
              >Think of it this way... if you buy 1 bottle of spirits per week,
              >ordinary stuff, not top shelf, at AUD $30 a bottle, you spend $1,500
              >on booze in a year.
              >Slainte!
              >regards Harry

            • Lebbo
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 6, 2004
                Nup, that's about right for the guys here downunder, it's prob an avg.
                Cheap gear is about a lobster ($20) and stuff like Jack is say $35-$40?

                I still like to look at the catalogues to see what other flavours I need to get! 8-)

                _____

                Is liqour that expensive there or are you buying BIG bottles?....:>)
                Admittedly,I havnt bought commercial liqour in many years but it CANT be
                that expensive here in the US...or can it???...:>)

                >From: "Harry" <gnikomson2000@...>
                >Think of it this way... if you buy 1 bottle of spirits per week,
                >ordinary stuff, not top shelf, at AUD $30 a bottle, you spend $1,500
                >on booze in a year.
                >Slainte!
                >regards Harry

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129ejdssf/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=1705041694:HM/EXP=1094540323/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10
                se96mf6/*http://companion.yahoo.com> click here
                <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=:HM/A=2128215/rand=844608698>

                _____

                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • drewc66
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 6, 2004
                  Gatesbox,

                  Thanks for your feedback,

                  Do you have any trouble cleaning your keg/kettle with the standard
                  valve (2")or did you get the selective sankey option? (4" opening) Do
                  you use gas or hotplate for heat source?

                  By the way if anyone else uses the selective 4" sankey type keg, I
                  would be interested to hear how one fits one's tower to it. (recently
                  moved long distance and have few tools on hand)

                  Drew

                  wrote:
                  > I bought my keg from Sabco. I was very pleased, I ordered one
                  > cleaned and asked them to remove the valve. It arrived spotless and
                  > in virtually new condition. I ordered on of thier used 10 gal euro
                  > kegs. The slightly smaller size should handle my 5 gal batches a
                  > bit more efficiently than a 15 gal keg, but then I am limited to
                  run
                  > 5 gal batches. They are more pricey than a junk yard or garage
                  sale
                  > keg but it they come cherried out. And at this point the old story
                  > about boats being a hole in the ground to throw money into rings
                  > true for my reflux still. Ahhhh, in the pursuit of science and the
                  > thrill of yuppie simple living. If only I could have convinced
                  > myself to drink cheap beer and spirits straight from the store ( a
                  > little High Life, and some Popov), then my attic would be clean and
                  > my closet wouldn't bubble continuously.
                  >
                  > GB
                • cheeperdrunk
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 6, 2004
                    you may find a 4 inch tri clamp connector at ebay just type in the
                    word tri clamp

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "drewc66" <drewc66@y...> wrote:
                    > Gatesbox,
                    >
                    > Thanks for your feedback,
                    >
                    > Do you have any trouble cleaning your keg/kettle with the standard
                    > valve (2")or did you get the selective sankey option? (4" opening)
                    Do
                    > you use gas or hotplate for heat source?
                    >
                    > By the way if anyone else uses the selective 4" sankey type keg, I
                    > would be interested to hear how one fits one's tower to it.
                    (recently
                    > moved long distance and have few tools on hand)
                    >
                    > Drew
                    >

                    > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gatesbox" <gatesbox@y...>
                    > wrote:
                    > > I bought my keg from Sabco. I was very pleased, I ordered one
                    > > cleaned and asked them to remove the valve. It arrived spotless
                    and
                    > > in virtually new condition. I ordered on of thier used 10 gal
                    euro
                    > > kegs. The slightly smaller size should handle my 5 gal batches a
                    > > bit more efficiently than a 15 gal keg, but then I am limited to
                    > run
                    > > 5 gal batches. They are more pricey than a junk yard or garage
                    > sale
                    > > keg but it they come cherried out. And at this point the old
                    story
                    > > about boats being a hole in the ground to throw money into rings
                    > > true for my reflux still. Ahhhh, in the pursuit of science and
                    the
                    > > thrill of yuppie simple living. If only I could have convinced
                    > > myself to drink cheap beer and spirits straight from the store (
                    > > little High Life, and some Popov), then my attic would be clean
                    and
                    > > my closet wouldn't bubble continuously.
                    > >
                    > > GB
                  • gatesbox
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 8, 2004

                      > Do you have any trouble cleaning your keg/kettle with the standard
                      > valve (2")or did you get the selective sankey option? (4" opening)
                      Do
                      > you use gas or hotplate for heat source?

                      This is a project still, I plan to use two water heater elements a
                      1,500 watt and a 750 watt (thus having three settings for heating
                      without a switch just plug unplug). I plan to use the stainless
                      mixing bowl method to join the tower. I have purchased a pricey
                      flange but am still thinking about experimenting with making my own
                      flange using copper plate/pipe and solder (don't know how well this
                      will hold). As for hacking open the keg, this is a touchy issue and
                      is the single point which holds me back from completing my little
                      project. It is a hell of a noise that rattles from the keg when
                      cutting. In my suburban location I am waiting for the right moment
                      when mrs. and baby are away. I too am tool challenged and have a
                      jig type bimetal saw which takes forever. I just allocated a 4"
                      angle grinder with a cutting wheel that I hope will take care of the
                      hack job. with the large gaping hole this will provide I dont
                      expect any trouble cleaning. The triclam seems like a nice option
                      though cleaning, and possible pressure release may be an issure.
                      The the ss salad bowl attachment seems to be the common method for
                      attaching the column.

                      Until I complete this project, I am happy with my stove top pot.
                    • myarcadegames.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 10, 2004
                        Where'd you pull the heating elements from ?

                        How do I get my hands on some ?

                        - Chris.

                        gatesbox <gatesbox@...> wrote:

                        > Do you have any trouble cleaning your keg/kettle with the standard
                        > valve (2")or did you get the selective sankey option? (4" opening)
                        Do
                        > you use gas or hotplate for heat source?

                        This is a project still, I plan to use two water heater elements a
                        1,500 watt and a 750 watt (thus having three settings for heating
                        without a switch just plug unplug). I plan to use the stainless
                        mixing bowl method to join the tower. I have purchased a pricey
                        flange but am still thinking about experimenting with making my own
                        flange using copper plate/pipe and solder (don't know how well this
                        will hold). As for hacking open the keg, this is a touchy issue and
                        is the single point which holds me back from completing my little
                        project. It is a hell of a noise that rattles from the keg when
                        cutting. In my suburban location I am waiting for the right moment
                        when mrs. and baby are away. I too am tool challenged and have a
                        jig type bimetal saw which takes forever. I just allocated a 4"
                        angle grinder with a cutting wheel that I hope will take care of the
                        hack job. with the large gaping hole this will provide I dont
                        expect any trouble cleaning. The triclam seems like a nice option
                        though cleaning, and possible pressure release may be an issure.
                        The the ss salad bowl attachment seems to be the common method for
                        attaching the column.

                        Until I complete this project, I am happy with my stove top pot.

                        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                        http://www.myarcadegames.com

                        " Your one stop arcade shop "

                        sales@...

                        admin@...

                      • TMR
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 10, 2004
                          I use the gas burner on my BBQ. I have a hotplate that works too...but I want to get a more powerful one...1500 watts

                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 10, 2004
                            Replacement water heater elements are available at I would imagine
                            any hardware store. In the US most of them are compatible with 1"
                            pipe fittings (I think) So you can either weld a fitting onto your
                            keg or use the fitting as a nut to bolt your element directly onto
                            the keg. Some elements also have a plate with 4 holes for bolting
                            onto keg but this requires more holes in your keg (more possible
                            leaks). Don't forget to read posts about providing some kind of
                            sight tube for determining liquid level in the keg.

                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "myarcadegames.com"