Re: [new_distillers] Re: AutoCad Drawing of Low Wines Still

  • Trevor Simmonds
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3, 2004
      RE: Copper Parts Self destruction

      I have read that if your wash has a high sulphur component then you can
      get blue alcohol.

      IMHO
      It's my belief that this blue stuff would be copper sulphate.

      Therefore over time if your wash has a low sulphur component then a
      gradual degrading of the copper parts would occur.

      bradr36 wrote:

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "beerguy84" <beerguy84@y...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Another thing that you may not be aware of is that in the latest
      > > issue of Malt Advocate, Vol 13 #3, there is an extensive discussion
      > > on how copper corrodes during the distillation process, eventually
      > > resulting in the destruction of the still components itself. So
      > > consider that before you shell out a small fortune for the sheet
      > > metal and copper plate to manufacture this still.
      > >
      > > Cheers.......
      >
      > anyone ever heard of this
    • Austin Smith
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3, 2004
        I suspect that you've hit it. Florida's aquifer has a VERY high sulfur content (dissolved Hydrogen Sulfide from decaying dinosaurs, I suppose). Our municipal plants aerate the well water to dissipate the sulphur. I'd imagine that they're are places where this isn't done.