Internal Reflux or Valved Reflux

  • travellerwiz
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3, 2004
      Ok here is a question for everybody.. I have been running a World
      Class Home Distillation Apparatus internal reflux version (slightly
      modified) for about 2-1/2 years now and have been really happy with
      it. 92-94% product, but it is a little bit slow. Takes about 12-14
      hours to run a whole 25 liter batch...

      So recently I have taken steps to upgrade my boiler to something more
      fancy.. This got me thinking about changing it over to a valved
      reflux version. Can anyone tell me what differences I might see. Eg.
      Faster speed, less cooling water, easier operation. Also can anyone
      who has one of these let me know how it works... I appreciate the
      help..
    • pthoma_nz
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3, 2004
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "travellerwiz"
        <travellerw@u...> wrote:
        Can anyone tell me what differences I might see. Eg.
        > Faster speed, less cooling water, easier operation. Also can
        anyone
        > who has one of these let me know how it works... I appreciate the
        > help..

        I haven't had mine for very long... but have had stills now for
        couple of years, and now have 4 types. I use same as yours for my
        gin head...

        My valved reflux runs on a 50 litre keg but I haven't had more than
        a 25 litre wash through it yet. Everything through it is pre
        stripped by my old modded SS reflux which does a strip in less than
        4 hours.

        I allow 30 minutes to stabilise column. Then take heads off slowly
        over the next hour, about 800 ml.
        Main comes off at about 600 - 800 ml / hour, about 2.5 litre
        Tails I close reflux valve and take quickly until 90% or tastes weak

        I dump heads and keep tails.

        Probally 6 1/2 - 7 1/2 hours...

        I have coil inside coil in my condensor, water can trickle out but
        is pretty hot... pretty much same throughput as my gin head, maybe
        slightly less.

        Product abv is about what you get, I can't say I'm getting
        consistant mains of over 95% yet... peaks at 98% straight from still

        Hope this helps...

        peet
      • travellerwiz
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 7, 2004
          Thank you very much for the info, it has been a great help. Based on
          what you have provided it looks like I might waste my time switching
          to the Valved reflux. The numbers you have given are almost exactly
          what I'm getting out of the internal reflux.

          600-800ml/hour
          92-95%

          I do have a question for you though.. I seem to be getting more
          product.. I usually take off 4.5-5 liters of product. I disgard 500ml
          of heads and save another 500ml of tails. So I get about 3.5-4.0 of
          clean product(8.75-10 liters of %40). What type of mash are you
          using? You must be using a %14 turbo?

          Again thanks for the info

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pthoma_nz" <pthoma_nz@y...>
          wrote:
          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "travellerwiz"
          > <travellerw@u...> wrote:
          > Can anyone tell me what differences I might see. Eg.
          > > Faster speed, less cooling water, easier operation. Also can
          > anyone
          > > who has one of these let me know how it works... I appreciate the
          > > help..
          >
          > I haven't had mine for very long... but have had stills now for
          > couple of years, and now have 4 types. I use same as yours for my
          > gin head...
          >
          > My valved reflux runs on a 50 litre keg but I haven't had more than
          > a 25 litre wash through it yet. Everything through it is pre
          > stripped by my old modded SS reflux which does a strip in less than
          > 4 hours.
          >
          > I allow 30 minutes to stabilise column. Then take heads off slowly
          > over the next hour, about 800 ml.
          > Main comes off at about 600 - 800 ml / hour, about 2.5 litre
          > Tails I close reflux valve and take quickly until 90% or tastes weak
          >
          > I dump heads and keep tails.
          >
          > Probally 6 1/2 - 7 1/2 hours...
          >
          > I have coil inside coil in my condensor, water can trickle out but
          > is pretty hot... pretty much same throughput as my gin head, maybe
          > slightly less.
          >
          > Product abv is about what you get, I can't say I'm getting
          > consistant mains of over 95% yet... peaks at 98% straight from still
          >
          > Hope this helps...
          >
          > peet
        • pthoma_nz
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 7, 2004
            <travellerw@u...> wrote:
            I usually take off 4.5-5 liters of product. I disgard 500ml
            > of heads and save another 500ml of tails. So I get about 3.5-4.0
            of
            > clean product(8.75-10 liters of %40). What type of mash are you
            > using? You must be using a %14 turbo?
            >
            > Again thanks for the info

            I'm playing with my yeasts at the mo, so yes my yields are down...
            getting about 15% or less at mo... :(

            I'm also getting more tails than you... I put that down to poor
            ferments and should be sorted soon....

            peet